Silt rigs....

carping_on

Guys im In need of your opinions. Would this setup be ok to fishing in fairly softish silt up to around 8-12 inches in depth?

gybamuny.jpg

Normally I would fish a standard running rig setup with a longish hooklength. But im experimenting with a heli lead setup incorperating tubing ( No Leadcore ) but I dont have any ring swivels for the hooklength which is why I have used a large bore run ring in the picture.

Im not sure if im completely happy with the run ring. Ive had a few practice casts and the setup is casts like a dream but... I just question whether the ring coupled with the lead arrangement will cause excess pressure?

Hold your horses son , they'll be others disagreeing with me for sure .

It just wouldnt work for ME :)

But silt ? Tackle shop ?

Yeh stiff hinged rig or a good old cho..oops i mean silt rig :)

I think it looks fine. I would swap the ring for a ring swivel but otherwise it should be presented ok.

The chod is a viable option, but I have experienced the chod to be completely ineffective on some silty waters. Although the rig is presented where the carp can always take it, a pop up can be above where the fish are feeding. Remember on particularly silty waters the carp are used to feeding deep into the silt to find food, a pop up on top of the silt is just not where they're used to feeding and can be counter productive. Last winter I did a lot of my fishing on Walthamstow 2 and 3, the bottom is almost entirely silt and I went straight in with chod rigs. I fished bright single hookbaits and blanked four consecutive trips despite seeing signs of activity in front of me. I had a rethink and it was clear to me the fish preferred feeding deep in the silt and my chod rigs were presented above where they were feeding. I switched to bottom baits straight out the bag on a simple knotless knot rig using soft flurocarbon hooklinks, fished on a helicopter set up like yours. The next trip I caught three to 27lb+. 

I think it looks fine. I would swap the ring for a ring swivel but otherwise it should be presented ok.

The chod is a viable option, but I have experienced the chod to be completely ineffective on some silty waters. Although the rig is presented where the carp can always take it, a pop up can be above where the fish are feeding. Remember on particularly silty waters the carp are used to feeding deep into the silt to find food, a pop up on top of the silt is just not where they're used to feeding and can be counter productive. Last winter I did a lot of my fishing on Walthamstow 2 and 3, the bottom is almost entirely silt and I went straight in with chod rigs. I fished bright single hookbaits and blanked four consecutive trips despite seeing signs of activity in front of me. I had a rethink and it was clear to me the fish preferred feeding deep in the silt and my chod rigs were presented above where they were feeding. I switched to bottom baits straight out the bag on a simple knotless knot rig using soft flurocarbon hooklinks, fished on a helicopter set up like yours. The next trip I caught three to 27lb+.

Agreed . The point i was making though was the need to replace the run ring with a ring swivel .

As you later pointed out .:)

gybamuny.jpg

Normally I would fish a standard running rig setup with a longish hooklength. But im experimenting with a heli lead setup incorperating tubing ( No Leadcore ) but I dont have any ring swivels for the hooklength which is why I have used a large bore run ring in the picture.

Im not sure if im completely happy with the run ring. Ive had a few practice casts and the setup is casts like a dream but... I just question whether the ring coupled with the lead arrangement will cause excess pressure?

id only cast that out after i'd done a few tests at home. id worry that the line could cut through the plastic(if line passes over tubing).preferably id just get some ring swivels.

id only cast that out after i'd done a few tests at home. id worry that the line could cut through the plastic(if line passes over tubing).preferably id just get some ring swivels.

The line can cut through the plastic, so I would be changing that run ring for summat else

I like to keep things simple so I'm with Carpmachine on this one. Normal running rig, but with as light a lead as I can get away with to try to stop it sinking into the silt.

Long(ish) hooklength of Korda n-trap or Jel-e-wyre (silt coloured naturally!).

Light coloured bait with either a piece of plastic corn or a yellow/white/orange sighter attached to aid visibility.

Having said that, you'd be surprised how far a carp will bury it's snout in the silt when it's on the trough.