Whats your Lead set up ?

newmarket

Theres a great sticky in this section on safe lead set ups and there is also a couple of good threads , both current and in the former hot topic sections too with pics of members' lead set ups , components and sometimes their reasons for using them.

What with quite a few newish members getting involved recently as well i thought the subject worthy of a thread of its own , similar to bez's recent thread "which rig are you currently using " or something like that :)

So , i'm inviting everyone to post pics of their current lead set ups .

Lets see what you got boys ....:)

I'll post mine this evening when small child is not clambering all over me :) :)

Edited by newmarket

Here are a few of mine

DSCF1351_zps2f0ec50b.jpg

1/ flourocarcabon leader 20lb approx 1m long, size 8 kwik klip, buffer sleeve, avid chod sleeve with big eye quick change swivel.

2/ Pretty much as above but on 20 lb leadcore

3/ standard inline lead, can be used for solid bags

4/ inline dropoff, note the big eye on the hooklength ( cut from a swivel ) this makes the rig safer allowing only the hooklength to stay in the fish in the event of a breakage.

5/ chod dropoff, sorry cropped the loop of the bottom of the pic, basically you put on the lead, then push the needle down the sleeve, pull the short loop through and put in a trimmed pva nugget, this will take the brunt of the cast/retrieve but if snagged pull away dropping the lead.

Went down the shed this afternoon to take a pic of my usual lead set up but soon realised i had taken my rods down at the end of my last session and since it was my idea for the thread , thought i'd better knock this up quickly ..

2azevyme.jpg

Its a bit of a mix n match tbh , used what i could lay my hands on quickly .

This is mono ( where normally it would be fluorocarbon) with a suffix stiff silt braided hooklink .

Swivel remoed from the lead which is attached to the run ring with an avid qwik link .

The other compnents are gardner but if i was using a supple braid there would be an esp rig sleeve covering the quick change swivel .

All my fish for the last couple of seasons have come on the same lead set up. 2ft of leadcore, locjaw or safety clip set up, loose tail rubber to an easily discharged lead. I also cut the swivel off most of my leads to give the fish less movement before it hits the weight of the lead, works for me. Simples......................

It's getting harder to find locjaws nowadays and I'll only use a safety clip that can be fixed to the swivel, not being able to secure the swivel in the clip seems to defeat the object of the lead not discharging IMHO. I bought some of the Nash weedy clips recently, stopped using them after 2 casts, on the first cast the lead fell off as it hit the water, the second cast saw the lead come off mid cast! I'm all for fish safety but a lead that discharges on the cast is a bit OTT!

Theres a great sticky in this section on safe lead set ups and there is also a couple of good threads , both current and in the former hot topic sections too with pics of members' lead set ups , components and sometimes their reasons for using them.

What with quite a few newish members getting involved recently as well i thought the subject worthy of a thread of its own , similar to bez's recent thread "which rig are you currently using " or something like that :)

So , i'm inviting everyone to post pics of their current lead set ups .

Lets see what you got boys .... :)

I'll post mine this evening when small child is not clambering all over me :) :smile:

It's not new, been around as long as the hills and mountains of the world, and is from my original post, either with or without tubing dependant on snags or not:

This Running set up is pictured straight on my rods as I was retying rigs after replacing the Mainline.

Running Rig with tubing

Runningrigwithtubing.jpg

A version of the Running Lead set-up, where the run ring and lead can both be ejected should the fish or lead get snagged:

Runninglead-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...