running rig

frogy

I was threading the mainline through the weight swivel then threaded a swivel cover thing on then connected it to the hook link swivel. Then pushed the swivel cover down to cover the swivel. Hope that makes sense

kind of mate :lol:

i use the nash run rings and never have a problem unless i use really heavy leads, having the mainline rubbing direct to the lead swivel creates a lot of friction which can damage and kink the line, if i get the time in the next day or two i will put a pic up mate.

mufty

I have the lead running on the mainline, down to a buffer bead over a swivel, which is where the hooklink connects. I have never had my hooklink wrapped around the mainline, with any size lead. I can't picture what your doing wrong it sounds ok.

One added thing might be worth trying is rig booms, helps kick the hooklink away from the lead, I have these on every rig.

I have the lead running on the mainline, down to a buffer bead over a swivel, which is where the hooklink connects. I have never had my hooklink wrapped around the mainline, with any size lead. I can't picture what your doing wrong it sounds ok.

One added thing might be worth trying is rig booms, helps kick the hooklink away from the lead, I have these on every rig.

Yes your set up sounds exactly the same as mine, as you say I haven't been using rig booms so that might be worth a try, thanks.

You could always thread a small P.V.A stick on your hooklength that will help eliminate tangles .

Yes when I used a stick all was well but because of the time of year and everyone telling me not to overfeed a few times I threw the rig out without a stick and it was a few of those times it was coming back in tangled

You could always thread a small P.V.A stick on your hooklength that will help eliminate tangles .

Yes when I used a stick all was well but because of the time of year and everyone telling me not to overfeed a few times I threw the rig out without a stick and it was a few of those times it was coming back in tangled

I make my mixes really small ..... But only because I'm tight !!!! :lol:

1 small stick with a couple of ground up boilies would be ok mate

Si , a small pva stick wont hurt at any time of year mate . Or a mesh bag size of a 50p . Its hardly overfeeding even in the depths of winter .

I asked that very question myself recently and the general concencus was ; its autumn they should still be on the munch .

You'll know when its winter

Feather your casts before the lead hits the water. This will throw the hookbait forwards away from the lead, and allow you to feel the lead down properly.

i was just scrolling down thinking this needs a mention :wink:

iv been trying to teach my nephew this year and he hasnt quite got the hang of this, every time i see him forget i tell to reel in and sure enough he's tangled

Feathering needs practice, let your finger hover over the spool during the cast, just so you can feel the line slapping your finger. Just as the lead is about to hit the surface of the water, trap the line to the spool, using your finger and gently lift the rod as the rig sinks. When you feel a donk, you have hit bottom.

All your trying to do is throw the rig out in front by trapping the line with your finger. Lifting the rod during descent will hopefully keep the whole rig straightened out.

If your paranoid that this hasn't worked try two foam nuggets and drag the rig back towards yourself when you feel the donk.

It made sense in my head, sorry if it doesn't in yours lol

thanks for adding that gary and beanzy , reason I asked that is that I was trying to explain to one of my lads how to do it over the phone , would you believe , when he was fishing at the weekend.

it was his first time out fishing on his own and he was having the same trouble as frogy.

I`ve let him read your replies and he is now confident that he will be ok this weekend .

poor lad I think I`ve got him into fishing , he`ll forgive me one day. :)

personally I have never had any tangle probs when I fish running lead set ups , which is pretty much all the time nowadays. I only ever used to get tangles when I fished with lead clips....

Braided rigs can tangle with running leads, but there is PVA to cure that, and feathering the cast also helps.

The lead can also end up with the rig around it on landing on the lakebed, but is tangle free, but tangles on the retrieve as the lead pops free

I read a piece by Terry Dempsey who purposefully wants his rig to land in a heap.

Food for thought :)

My thoughts as well :wink:

A nice straight hooklink always looks so good, but the fish may be able to feel the 'extension' of the link and lead if it is laid out straight.

A heap of hooklink, the fish don't know how long it is and so may be more likely to move off, giving a proper run