Ready tied rigs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The quality and range of ready tied rigs that are now in the shops is a lot better than a few years back, which is a good thing for the occasional angler as it is cheaper in the short term to buy made up rigs as opposed to buying all the different components that make up the rig of your choice.

I use ESP Sink link hook lengths on a lead core in-line set up from Fox all connected to a Fox Brand mainline with a simple Palomar knot, it's the only knot I tie, every thing else is ready tied, I think it's a real easy set up.

What's ya views on ready tied rigs? A good thing as all anglers get to use a safer rig, or otherwise?

Are ready tied as good as those that you can tie yourself?

Playing Devil's Advocate for a minute; a ready tied leadcore leader with ready tied rig, Is it as safe as a helicopter or silt set-up that you could tie at home or on the bank?

I have never thought about using ready tied shop bought rigs, simply because I can change and tie the things I need to myself while on the bank. That is not to say that shop boughts don't work, but that you may find that you have to adjust things yourself.

Also while I know my knots, if the knot fails it is my fault, yet with a shop bought, who am I going to blame?

Guest Anonymous

Playing Devil's Advocate for a minute; a ready tied leadcore leader with ready tied rig, Is it as safe as a helicopter or silt set-up that you could tie at home or on the bank?

I have never thought about using ready tied shop bought rigs, simply because I can change and tie the things I need to myself while on the bank. That is not to say that shop boughts don't work, but that you may find that you have to adjust things yourself.

Also while I know my knots, if the knot fails it is my fault, yet with a shop bought, who am I going to blame?

I can tie my own rigs that catch fish, I like the Kryston range for hook lengths and I do prefer to tie my own lead core lengths as the ready tied are a bit short in the fox range, as for the ESP hook lengths my only grumble would be with the hair loop, you have to cut a 15ml bait down a bit if you want to balance a bottom bait with even a small dumbell cut in half.

Korda have a lot of rigs on the market at the moe, they are a lot more technical in the components range than what was on sale even just a few years back, if I was using a rig with bait swivels and blobed down loops I would want to tie it my self, they must be tied out side of the UK ? too labor intensive to be made in the UK.

A single size 10-12 ESP hair rig costs £2.50 in my local tackle shop, so if I wanted ten I'd be spending £25.

To buy ten hooks, ten swivels and a roll of hooklink material costs about a tenner, and I've got the satisfaction of knowing that the rig that caught the fish was made by myself.

I do have a couple of ESP ones, but I by make my own now.

Horses for courses, if you have the skill, patience and confidence to tie your own, it's great, if not, then the pre-tied ones are fine for general applications.

ready mades are good for a quick cheap fix,but long term you risk missing chances because the individual small 1%s that all add become second to the convenience of the old ready tied you have. where length of rig or hair could play a great part in hook ups or even how sharp the hook is,,out the packet sharp isnt sharper enough for many anglers but when you only have a few readies and no way on the bank to replace the patterns you feel needed, your maybe using a inferior rigs and who wants that playing with there confidence????

lardy- where d'you shop :shock::lol: it'd be a tenner at least for a coated braid in my local tackle shop :cry:

ready mades are good for a quick cheap fix,but long term you risk missing chances because the individual small 1%s that all add become second to the convenience of the old ready tied you have. where length of rig or hair could play a great part in hook ups or even how sharp the hook is,,out the packet sharp isnt sharper enough for many anglers but when you only have a few readies and no way on the bank to replace the patterns you feel needed, your maybe using a inferior rigs and who wants that playing with there confidence????

lardy- where d'you shop :shock::lol: it'd be a tenner at least for a coated braid in my local tackle shop :cry:

Bailey's in Warwick. I'm sure I bought the hooks, swivels and ESP hooklink for around a tenner, but it certainly wasn't 25 squid which was the point I was trying to make.

Guest Anonymous

I normally use lanes in cov, just found out lavender hall has a tackle shop on site, called in today as its a 2 min drive from where I live, found it to be very well stocked with carp end tackle and bait which is what I called in for, excellent service they knock a few quid of the price of bait if you buy a couple of kilo bags and that's with out asking, shame about the 9pm closing time on the day ticket.

I normally use lanes in cov, just found out lavender hall has a tackle shop on site, called in today as its a 2 min drive from where I live, found it to be very well stocked with carp end tackle and bait which is what I called in for, excellent service they knock a few quid of the price of bait if you buy a couple of kilo bags and that's with out asking, shame about the 9pm closing time on the day ticket.

Where do you live mate? And is Lavender Hall worth a chuck? Been thinking of trying there, what's it got in it?

Guest Anonymous

Where do you live mate? And is Lavender Hall worth a chuck? Been thinking of trying there, what's it got in it?

Tilehill, never fished it, there is fish to 30 odd lb, according to the owner, i have seen a 19lb mirror come out, but they close at 8.30 pm on a dayticket, i like to stay a bit latter than that this time of year, it's 25 quid for 24 hours, gets real busy at weekends.

I have never trusted ready tied rigs or leaders, since the loop came undone on two leadcore leaders i had purchased a few years ago now, plus i can never get what i want out of ready mades.

I think ready made rigs are good for people starting out. I personally moved away from them as my fishing developed enough to want to adjust rigs based on the fishing situation.

I went from ready tied rigs, to tying a rig and having it on the rod before I got there, to having nothing on the rod these days as I wouldn't dream to be able to know how I would fish before getting to the water.

In the same vein, I also used to pick a peg before I got to the lake, and fish it no matter what. Kind of the same really, deciding how to fish before getting a feel for the water on the day. Unless you know what will be going on based on conditions. i prefer to have a look round first and spend the 15 mins tying rigs and getting it right. My rigs these days are tied on the bank, and based on the conditions on a particular spot. Not possible with pre-tied rigs.

I use both and dont have a problem with either really. I do generally use my own rigs but i always have a couple of packets of ready made rigs in all my fishing bags/boxes.

Also i have a range of rigs tied already in my rig wallet that are designed for different situations so i dont have to tie them on the bank, though i still do if the situation calls for it. I know my lakes that i fish so generally know what im going to need before i get there.

I can tie my own rigs that catch fish, I like the Kryston range for hook lengths and I do prefer to tie my own lead core lengths as the ready tied are a bit short in the fox range, as for the ESP hook lengths my only grumble would be with the hair loop, you have to cut a 15ml bait down a bit if you want to balance a bottom bait with even a small dumbell cut in half.

Korda have a lot of rigs on the market at the moe, they are a lot more technical in the components range than what was on sale even just a few years back, if I was using a rig with bait swivels and blobed down loops I would want to tie it my self, they must be tied out side of the UK ? too labor intensive to be made in the UK.

you cant talk about quality ready tied in one breath and in the next mention korda lol

Guest Anonymous

you cant talk about quality ready tied in one breath and in the next mention korda lol

Korda done me wrong on thursday, thought i'd use one of there ready rigs, one of the DF ones, didn't get a so much as beep or two on it, switched back to the ESP sinklink at 4pm and started to get bites which ended with a nice little common, all those hours wasted.