Hook pulling help please!

catchinmyfirst30

Hey all,

Im having a big problem with hook pulls at the moment and ive been told alot of different things to try;

Bigger hooks, smaller hooks, different hooks, different brands etc

But im getting a little confused and dont want to buy 10 different hooks to find half still dont work!

I am currently using 12lb flourocarbon hook links with korda longshank x hooks in size 8 with silicone on the hook bend,

On my last session i had 5 runs with only 1 landed!

Any advise would be a massive help

Thanks guys

Rich

Maybe strongarming the fish a bit too much? Giving them a bit too much stick with a stiff & unforgiving rod? Or the complete opposite (not giving them enough and letting the line slacken a bit, particularly a problem with barbless hooks).

Not suggesting you're playing the fish poorly, but definitely worth thinking about before making all kinds of changes to rigs that may be working just fine.

Personally i would try a bigger hook, size 6 or 4, and bin the tubing, keep it simple, and as before change one thing at a time, or you lose track. You could lengthen the hair for a bottom bait as well. I had the same problem with the longshanks, so i moved over the the curve shank, now using the mugga's

Maybe strongarming the fish a bit too much? Giving them a bit too much stick with a stiff & unforgiving rod? Or the complete opposite (not giving them enough and letting the line slacken a bit, particularly a problem with barbless hooks).

Not suggesting you're playing the fish poorly, but definitely worth thinking about before making all kinds of changes to rigs that may be working just fine.

I dont tend to give them to much stick but i dont let the line slack off at the same time, my rods are quite forgiving i think, both being 12ft 2.5lb test curve,

I do make contact with the fish, last few times i have got them half way back and a few times they have touched the net and pulled off,

Extremely frustrating!!

A lot of people reckon Korda hooks aren't sharp enough. Personally I'd try Fox Arma Points, but like someone else saidf, you've got to make one change at a time, or you won't know what the problem was.

I have heard that to but others have said korda hooks are ok,

I will be trying without silicone when im next on the bank and if that doesnt work i will be looking at new hooks,

Fox and nash hooks are the 2 alot of people have recommended

A lot of people reckon Korda hooks aren't sharp enough. Personally I'd try Fox Arma Points, but like someone else saidf, you've got to make one change at a time, or you won't know what the problem was.

I have heard that to but others have said korda hooks are ok,

I will be trying without silicone when im next on the bank and if that doesnt work i will be looking at new hooks,

Fox and nash hooks are the 2 alot of people have recommended

Gardner mugga's are worth a look to mate :wink:

A number of reasons for hookpulls, and even how much you feed could be part of it. You are getting takes, but the fish aren't confident, so it could be a case of making more food available so the fish are competing for it, or aren't as wary.

Usually the first thing I do when I get hookpulls is simply to lengthen the hair.

I work on the theory that if I am hooking deeply in the mouth then the hair and/or rig length is too long. If in the bottom dead centre the hair is right, and if I'm losing fish then the hair is too short.

I noticed that you are fishing fluorocarbon hooklinks, it may be that the rig and hair is too stiff, especially if you are fishing a knotless knot continuation hair. It could be a case that simply by changing to a more supple hooklink or even just hair material you solve the problem.

This fashion for fishing the hair leaving the hook at the base of the bend of the hook is also a possibility. Have a look at this:

HairAttachment.jpg, that may explain hookpulls.

I did however notice your last post, and they are occuring when playing the fish, usually to me that is a sign that you are giving the fish a lot of "teddy", (as per my last few fish losses), especially when they are close to the net. The rods may not be at fault, but simply that you are trying to force them in, not allowing the fish to take line when they are too fresh during the fight. Not necessarily slacken off, but don't try to play them so hard, give a little line, let the fish have its head, play around and gain line when they let you, not attempting to gain line all the time, if that makes sense.

The hookhold in that case may be a factor, the pressure during the fight from a bait that has not been taken in and then you are really adding to a "weak" hookhold is simply pulling the hook out, so again, look at hair length.

A number of reasons for hookpulls, and even how much you feed could be part of it. You are getting takes, but the fish aren't confident, so it could be a case of making more food available so the fish are competing for it, or aren't as wary.

Usually the first thing I do when I get hookpulls is simply to lengthen the hair.

I work on the theory that if I am hooking deeply in the mouth then the hair and/or rig length is too long. If in the bottom dead centre the hair is right, and if I'm losing fish then the hair is too short.

I noticed that you are fishing fluorocarbon hooklinks, it may be that the rig and hair is too stiff, especially if you are fishing a knotless knot continuation hair. It could be a case that simply by changing to a more supple hooklink or even just hair material you solve the problem.

This fashion for fishing the hair leaving the hook at the base of the bend of the hook is also a possibility. Have a look at this:

HairAttachment.jpg, that may explain hookpulls.

I did however notice your last post, and they are occuring when playing the fish, usually to me that is a sign that you are giving the fish a lot of "teddy", (as per my last few fish losses), especially when they are close to the net. The rods may not be at fault, but simply that you are trying to force them in, not allowing the fish to take line when they are too fresh during the fight. Not necessarily slacken off, but don't try to play them so hard, give a little line, let the fish have its head, play around and gain line when they let you, not attempting to gain line all the time, if that makes sense.

The hookhold in that case may be a factor, the pressure during the fight from a bait that has not been taken in and then you are really adding to a "weak" hookhold is simply pulling the hook out, so again, look at hair length.

That is alot to try and take in but thank you mate,

The diagram does give good points to think about when tying my rigs aswell,

But like alot of people have said, i will try just one change at a time,

I will put a picture up of my rig soon (work and daughter take alot of my time up) so you can all see and make any suggestions you think may help

That is alot to try and take in but thank you mate,

The diagram does give good points to think about when tying my rigs aswell,

But like alot of people have said, i will try just one change at a time,

I will put a picture up of my rig soon (work and daughter take alot of my time up) so you can all see and make any suggestions you think may help

Always just one thing at a time :wink:

I know it is a lot to think about, but you have plenty of ideas and experience from a number of good people that will help you catch.

Have fun with the daughter and work, they always come first, unfortunately sometimes before fishing