Take me fishing Please!

Hello!

I have never been fishing, but my boyfriend absolutely loves it, and i know he hasn't been in a long while. It's his birthday on the 3rd february, and I would like to surprise him by waking him up early and taking him fishing. Only problem is, I don't know how,where,when,what.... We have no equipment, I would not know what I'm doing, and i dont think he will know enough.

I would really love to have someone, or many of you, to help me out. I really want to do this. We would need to borrow rods or whatever you use to fish, and all the necessary stuff.

We live in North London but we dont have a car... so it would be great if you could pick us up, or find a location thats accessible by train..

Is anyone interested? It'll be fun, I promise! I'll bring homemade cake and pancakes or whatever you like!

Thank you.

perhaps its a scam, perhaps its not, cant tell but it does seem a bit of a weird question to ask to total strangers.

if you boyfriend loves fishing why does he not have his own tackle? or know enough to fish on his own? that bit strikes me as a bit weird.

like ross said, if it isnt a scam and you are actually trying to do something nice then i wish you luck but if you cant, why not go buy him his first rod and reel, you can ask local tackle shops to help you out.

Oh no, I wasn't joking... I'm so surprised by your reactions!!!

As I said, I don't know anything about fishing. The reason my boyfriend doesn't have a rod is because he used to fish when he was younger, and he hasn't done it in years but I know he would love to try it out again. I've been skiing all my life, yet I've never owed a pair of skis... What's so strange about it?

I just thought that maybe there is a fisherman out there who wouldn't mind taking two people out with him ONE time to share his knowledge and passion for a few hours. To teach us a little, or just to help us set up and settle in. Obviously not...

Refrain from laughing at me, I'm just trying to do something nice for someone else, I'm sorry you can't help me.

Patty, I don't think anyone was laughing at you, just a bit wary of such an unusual request in these times of online spam and scams.

We don't normally see this kind of request on here, so I think people were unsure of whether to take it seriously or not.

Please be assured that anglers are generally a nice bunch of people (although we do smell a bit funny sometimes!).

perhaps its a scam, perhaps its not, cant tell but it does seem a bit of a weird question to ask to total strangers.

if you boyfriend loves fishing why does he not have his own tackle? or know enough to fish on his own? that bit strikes me as a bit weird.

like ross said, if it isnt a scam and you are actually trying to do something nice then i wish you luck but if you cant, why not go buy him his first rod and reel, you can ask local tackle shops to help you out.

maybe it is weird to ask strangers, but when did people stop spontaneously helping each other out? What is everyone so afraid of? It's ridiculous, at the end of the day, we are only talking about a fishing trip! what sort of scam are you thinking? fishing rod burglary ? Do you think I might be like a fishing equiment thief? It's so ridiculous. I just don't understand people anymore.

maybe it is weird to ask strangers, but when did people stop spontaneously helping each other out? What is everyone so afraid of? It's ridiculous, at the end of the day, we are only talking about a fishing trip! what sort of scam are you thinking? fishing rod burglary ? Do you think I might be like a fishing equiment thief? It's so ridiculous. I just don't understand people anymore.

Patty- you may just want to calm down a bit (rather than alienate everyone within 4 posts)- I'm sure if you hung for a little while someone would have come and offered you a day out - it seems like you are geniunally trying to do something nice for your fella- which is nice. try angling coaches in your area- they provide tackle and coaching for the day on commercial waters (ie where there are lots of hungry fish) for a modest fee. Good luck. :wink:

Patty there are so many unknowns out there, the Internet is an easy place to be someone/something that your not.

No one is laughing at you, I can assure you, but this is not a post people see often and I've never seen one like yours before.

People will be wary of their tackle, if you truly understood the price of tackle I think you would be wary too. For example, you owned a 6 grand car, worked hard for the money to have that car, taken you years to get it. Would you then give a stranger your keys and say have a drive in it.

Hope you understand people's concerns.

Ross.

Patty there are so many unknowns out there, the Internet is an easy place to be someone/something that your not.

No one is laughing at you, I can assure you, but this is not a post people see often and I've never seen one like yours before.

People will be wary of their tackle, if you truly understood the price of tackle I think you would be wary too. For example, you owned a 6 grand car, worked hard for the money to have that car, taken you years to get it. Would you then give a stranger your keys and say have a drive in it.

Hope you understand people's concerns.

Ross.

I've been trying to rack my brains for anywhere that will offer coaching with tackle hire in the North London area.

I know that with my gear, I don't let anyone borrow it. Its my personal prized possession. I have lent out gear in the past (marker rod), and it came back from a close mate damaged, he wondered why I was a bit upset at him, and in the end he bought me a replacement.

patty, im sorry if my post seemed rude, i didnt intend to, its just a bit of a unusual request, i have had my gear stolen in the past and am always weary of lending it out. i only ever let people use my gear if im with them and i know them very well, i regularly get asked by my scouts to take them one day but they have to gain my trust first.

there have been cases where anglers have been held at knife point or even one angler im aware off that actually got tied up and left in a ditch while the people stole his stuff, so im sure you can understand our reactions.

I think a coaching session is great and you and your fella will learn loads. i wish you the best of

• 2 months later...

Hi

Welcome to the present state of the world you have to be weary nowadays as you will find most carp anglers who are heavily into it the cost of there complete setup will be several thousand pounds mine is in excess of £3000 so you must understand why people are wary about it

Even nowadays have to be careful where you fish as there is some scum out there who would not think twice about bashing you over the head for it.

The best idea I can think of is you would be better of going to a social and tag along that way you will find it will be more comfortable that way as a lot of other people will be present so you can have a good wonder round and talk to many anglers. With summer approaching socials are fairly common and they are great events to go to most have BBQ's ect and its also a way for you to introduce yourselves and that way after people have met you and your fella and have seen there is nothing bad about it you will find they will let you tag along a lot easier. I can see none of the other guys on here was making fun of you but it is as said a very strange request and as I have previously said with the value of our setups we are going to be weary. But I wish you the best of luck getting on the bank the weather for it is here