Carp near Peterborough city center

Right guys. Ive just moved to Peterborough 2 months ago and for awhile Ive been a ijit and lost my driving licence so Im stuck with cabs taking me everywhere.

I love me fishing and travel the world for them when I can.

What it is Ive not been many spots here, Ive fished the town embankment a few times and hammered the bream upto 14lb 3oz and had alot over 10lb but I need to find a pond or lake within a cab ride from town.

Ive fished a brick pit called LB1 I think its called for a weekend but blanked! Not a run.

I dont know if theres any river carp around but not seen any signs on walks.

I hear theres a little pond with carp to 20lbs near a pub Dod in a Doublet or somewhere but I cant seem to get alot of info from the tackle shops. Not sure whether theyre tight with info or what?

So I need some help if anyones got any.

Ta.

LB1 has still got plenty in there. the platform by the roundabout ,on a hot day you can normaly see them around there in the snags.

the embankment has done few,that i know of.iv seen few at stanground lock,all same stretch.though every stretch has them all the way up to northampton.

some places seem to hold them more than others ,but this may be down to just popular swims.as iv had them from random spots over night ,while traveling on boats.

Yes, I live in the town center so the rivers a spit away. Ive waled the river from a sluice near the Dog in a Doublet all the way to Ferry Meadows (had to throw a plug in as I went of course) Its not really a popular place as far as I can see angler wise. On the days I went I saw 3 lads fishing and that was at Orton Mere and I was surprised to see they had a couple of nice Crucians about 2/3lb.

I did LB1 for 2 nights after prebaiting for 3 nights but I missed 1 run after an hour of getting there and had a small 4lb bream out.

I was fishing on a quite straight bank close to the main road. I had 2 rods on a gravel bank not that far out and had one right over near the island.

Ive spent a couple days walking it but Ive seen no signs at all of a fish apart from a mid double dead pike.

I did ask at Sheltons about it. The lad said the same locals fish it alot and have been told there was some big ones to 40ish but rare as hens teeth.

I prebaited with a mixture of stuff as they didnt let on at all about baits (I got the feeling they like to keep the place to themselves) Ive trieddifferent boilies/pellets/corn/chick peas/nuts even maggots and worms.

I dont mind putting the work in for a place as long as I got a clue what to use/a swim so if anyone want to give me a nudge in the right direction you would make a p'd off Chelsea fan a happy guy lol

I dont mind putting the work in for a place as long as I got a clue what to use/a swim so if anyone want to give me a nudge in the right direction l

it may just be me. but the 'work' is finding that info out. arm and back ache from hauling isnt work....its ruddy good fun

mmm Thats what I meant by the word 'work'

I dont mind fishing a place if its only got the 1 fish in it just as long as I got a good idea theres 1 in there. But when youve walked a featureless water countless times and not seen a sign of life let alone a nice carp and its hard enough to get a grunt from the locals let alone any ideas.

I think I might stick some diving gear on and have a looksee in the new year and see whats really down there. I did see a sign saying some diving club used it too

But want to thank the 2 of you who have passed on some info. Appreciate it lads.

mmm Thats what I meant by the word 'work'

I dont mind fishing a place if its only got the 1 fish in it just as long as I got a good idea theres 1 in there. But when youve walked a featureless water countless times and not seen a sign of life let alone a nice carp and its hard enough to get a grunt from the locals let alone any ideas.

I think I might stick some diving gear on and have a looksee in the new year and see whats really down there. I did see a sign saying some diving club used it too

But want to thank the 2 of you who have passed on some info. Appreciate it lads.

The reason you only get a grunt is the majority of peeps that fish/camp there are Polish...

well, theyre in there. the embankment stretch includes the boat house at the rowing lake,very carpy looking bits there . and non flowing ,it used to be the power station where catching in the hot water out flow was common in deepest winter....before i moved this way though :cry:

the pic in my avatar is a nene fish,up oundle way. :wink: but they are 100% defiantly in all parts.

for p'boro area id go above next lock at orton mere and below alwalton.though the amount of bread that goes in the embankment they wont be to far away...get a loaf and feed the ducks/swan at the visitor center near the moorings at ferry meadows when waters not too murky....they aint shy there.

they dont give themselves away easily in most parts,and finding a carpy looking margin spot would be my tip , all my river carp have been from no more then a few feet from the bank,and without pre baiting...though it wont hurt your chances if you do, a couple of 40s came out to 2 lads that baited for a few weeks pre season.

early spring get to as many dead arms as you can....if you dont see any then.......get down specsavers :lol::lol:

• 2 years later...

Well since my last visit I had alllll my gear nicked. I went on a long trip to India leaving a 'good mate' in charge of my flat. He went and sold all my fishing gear Id collected 30 odd years pluss all my records. By beloved Northern Soul and priceless rarities. It broke my spirit losing my gear and with money tight I didnt think Id do it again.

So I had a heart attack last october and my quack said I need to chill. 5 weeks ago an old best mate passed away and left me what gear he had. Not the best/newest gear but a couple 8000 baitrunners and low end 2 1/2lb tc rods (But Richard Walker woulda killed for them in his day eh lol) So I reckon it was some kinda karma giving me a hint I gotta get out there again.

Still gottarely on taxis and just been checking out Northey Bank site. Seems theyve had alot of probs with thieving sods. But I reckon my 1st session I need to catch a couple to spur me on. Not expecting 20's but I would like a good chance of a double or 2.

So as its the 16th and for many years never failed to miss opening night it needs to be done. Be great to get a tight line again so Im looking foreward to it.

Have a good season lads and if anyones got any tips/news for Northey Bank Id appreciate it.

Hello UJ welcome back into the fold .

You've had a lot of bad luck by the sounds of it ( how can a "mate" do something like THAT ) but it also sounds like your back on track thanks to a real friend albeit dearly departed.

Good luck to you mate , onwards & upwards eh ?

Cheers bruv. Aye who says lifes supposed to be fair eh lol But yeah I got enough gear that I can catch a few. might not be strong enough for real big lumps but could pull outmid to late 20s ok. christ ivehad a 20 out on 15' match rod.

Its just Ive been looking round where to go and all the reports Ive read about Northey Park has been bad. seems our Eaust european friends have had a fun time on there. And I dont know anywhere elsewithin a cab ride (Whittleseys gonna be a bit of a dear ride for me) Ive had my fair share of big bream and the pond I get tench out of has just been de stocked grrrr so Im stuck for ideas.

Ive thought of LB1 but not been down there for about 15 years and if anyones fished the place its bloomin hard. But I did fish it alot before.

Ive been thinking of the old electric cut. I started fishing there at 13 when the turbs was on. I caugt a 9lb carp there on my 2nd trip and that was the start of my addiction lol But  it looks dead fishy even if Ive not seen any carp showing it might be worth a few sessions cause it used to be rife with them. we can only try.

Hi uj

I can you info about LB1 .fished it on and off last 20years. info on some more waters close by some free to fish. lots of good carping around Peterborough.

if you want to meet up sometime for a good chat show you few waters. let me here and I will pm you my mobile.

• 1 year later...

Give the embankment a try. I was down there with work during summer and saw 10+ double figure carp under the lillies just past the electric cut on the concrete section. three were defo twenties and a small grass carp was there too. One fully scaled looked about 16-17lb as well. Just a shame I didn't have a rod and some crust with me! As said record is 42lb from that stretch. Not a lake but may be worth your time in the summer to have a look and a small campaign. 

Ferry Meadows is on a limited ticket now, possibly all gone as I was offered one of the last few in October. 

thanks for the reply mate. awesome advice means a lot ill have to have a look at the embankment in the summer then and hopefully bag one always wanted to river carp. Do you have any contact details for ferry meadows and how to go about getting a ticket? thanks again for the help