Chod Rig Hooks

mrdevon

I was trying to tie one last night using a 15lb stiff mono but when trying to do the D rig I found the hooks I were using just didn't have a big enough eye to pass is through twice unless moving up to a heavier, larger size which I felt were too bulky for the job

So basically my question is, what's nice hook to use without it being OTT for the job and unsettling the natural buoyancy of say an 18mm pop up but an eye big enough for the D rig?

Hi mate,

as Matt says cutting the tag end to an angle/point first definitely helps.

I use 15lb Fox rigidity and arma point hooks ranging from size 8 through 7, 6 and 4.

Generally I prefer to use size 6 with baits between 14-18mm.

DSC02150.jpg

The bait in this picture is slightly smaller than 18mm as I picked one of the smaller pop-ups out of the tub.

DSC02137.jpg

Another trick to try, when you're passing the tag end through, fold the 'mainline' (hooklink) back towards the point, this will open up the 'space' in the eye:

chod-tying1.jpg

Be careful not to pull/force it too much else you may kink the line.

But doing this, and cutting the line on an angle, should give you enough space...

Another tip is to leave the tag longer as you tie the knot and trim off any damaged bits before threading, I tend to pull the knot tight using my teeth and this creates a flat spot on the tag end that ruins the stiffness needed to successfully thread through for the D. So now I pull down tight, then trim off the 'ruined' line (at an angle), and it goes through nice and easy...

Another trick to try, when you're passing the tag end through, fold the 'mainline' (hooklink) back towards the point, this will open up the 'space' in the eye:

chod-tying1.jpg

Be careful not to pull/force it too much else you may kink the line.

But doing this, and cutting the line on an angle, should give you enough space...

Another tip is to leave the tag longer as you tie the knot and trim off any damaged bits before threading, I tend to pull the knot tight using my teeth and this creates a flat spot on the tag end that ruins the stiffness needed to successfully thread through for the D. So now I pull down tight, then trim off the 'ruined' line (at an angle), and it goes through nice and easy...

Bang on advice from Mr Matt again, that nugget of commonsense is often overlooked. :)

Ive always used this knot once you get the hang of it comes out perfick.. :D Also the line passes through the eye only twice rather than three times on the knotless knot syle of doing it... so it works with smaller eyed hooks