Attaching a bag to a chod rig?

zammmo

I've been thinking the same thing. Here's what I've came up with and this is just with a small funnel web bag. If the bag would be put on the hook it would pull the whole hook and hook link up the main line/leader on the cast due the the weight of the bag. So this is what I'm going to try. In stead of tieing the lead onto the main line/leader I'm going to use a quick link on the lead. This way I can take the lead and quick link off the main line/leader and use a baiting needle to put a bag on. Next I'll put on a silicone sleeve on the main line/leader. At this point I'll put the quick link with lead back on the loop at the end of the main/leader. Now I'll pull the silicone sleeve over the quick link and at this point pull the bag and work the quick link into the bottom of the bag. I think by working the quick link into the bottom of the bag that, that may keep the bag from sliding up the main line/leader and pushing the bottom bead up. Now if your pop-up isn't far(4-6 inches) up the main line/leader the mix in the bag will spread out close to it.

Well that's it and let me say I haven't tested this yet so not sure if it will work. But one thing that would work and would be easier is just to tie a pva bag to the lead :D

it could end up working against you :? ,you'l have a pop up 2-3inches above some feed....great if they take the hook bait 1st.

that said, if you give it a go, i cant see why you couldnt add a bag on the hook,as unless your in deep weed it shouldnt pull the hook in,and when it melts the pop up should lift it clear.

gluging the pop up would be my 1st choice to add some extra attraction

Funny you should mention this Zam.

My syndicate 18 acres full of deep silt and shallow.

I too have been using the naked chod rig/stiff hinged rig withs great success and in my eyes its the only way to present a bait in these conditions.

As for using a bag with the chod its somthing i have done but the differance being i use a bag and put the lead inside and fill with stickmix/liquids instead of threading on the hooklink. my reasons for doing this is it stops the lead sinking into the silt far as i tend to trap as much air in the bag as i can, and it gives you added attraction nr your hook bait

I've been thinking the same thing. Here's what I've came up with and this is just with a small funnel web bag. If the bag would be put on the hook it would pull the whole hook and hook link up the main line/leader on the cast due the the weight of the bag. So this is what I'm going to try. In stead of tieing the lead onto the main line/leader I'm going to use a quick link on the lead. This way I can take the lead and quick link off the main line/leader and use a baiting needle to put a bag on. Next I'll put on a silicone sleeve on the main line/leader. At this point I'll put the quick link with lead back on the loop at the end of the main/leader. Now I'll pull the silicone sleeve over the quick link and at this point pull the bag and work the quick link into the bottom of the bag. I think by working the quick link into the bottom of the bag that, that may keep the bag from sliding up the main line/leader and pushing the bottom bead up. Now if your pop-up isn't far(4-6 inches) up the main line/leader the mix in the bag will spread out close to it.

Well that's it and let me say I haven't tested this yet so not sure if it will work. But one thing that would work and would be easier is just to tie a pva bag to the lead :D

I can se tha a lot of thouhgt has gone into what you suggested, I think my prefered corse of action would be to put the lead inside a pva bag...

But I'm sure there must be other ways of doing it...

Guest Anonymous

Use a solid bag with the lead inside and leave the air trapped so it floats, it'll slowly sink and settle with feed staying higher in the weed. Try it in a deep margin.

Just don't tighten up for ten minutes or so.

• 1 month later...
How about placing 4/5 bits of PVA foam into the bag, so it sinks but pops up off the bottom, also when the PVA bag melts the foam will surface and you can bait up with freebies if desired : )

Or use dog biscuits - that way you could still have a tight bag that will travel a lot easier in the air!

To be honest - I wouldn't bother. A poped up bait of an inch or three above a patch of stick/bag mix doesn't seem right? Maybe to a carp it does???? Personaly, if I were to bait up whilst using this method, I would favour a scattering of boilies.

If your going to the trouble of pva bagging then you may as well use a 'standad' rig and lead arrangement.

• 1 month later...
Guest nickwinwood
To be honest - I wouldn't bother. A poped up bait of an inch or three above a patch of stick/bag mix doesn't seem right? Maybe to a carp it does???? Personaly, if I were to bait up whilst using this method, I would favour a scattering of boilies.

If your going to the trouble of pva bagging then you may as well use a 'standad' rig and lead arrangement.

i have to agree there! using pva on the hook will decrease settling speed

• 11 months later...
I tie a bag onto the lead core near the chod bead closest to the rod tip end .that way it stops the bead and chod Moving to far up the leader on the cast .job done .

As you describe that,thoughts go through my mind about pva residue clogging the top bead meaning it won't come off the leader. Therefore making this an unsafe rig :evil:

I tie a bag onto the lead core near the chod bead closest to the rod tip end .that way it stops the bead and chod Moving to far up the leader on the cast .job done .

As you describe that,thoughts go through my mind about pva residue clogging the top bead meaning it won't come off the leader. Therefore making this an unsafe rig :evil:

Good point. If i wanted any extra attraction on a chod rig, i'd just soak the lead in feedstim or whatever.

i agree with nige, in my opinion a choddys fished best as a single hookbait or as short as you can get it with a scattering of boilies , that way the fish is moving at least a few feet between baits n wont tell the diffrence when it comes to the hook bait . but if you really want that extra bait near your hook bait a 2/3 bait stringer wouldnt push the beads back on the cast .