Main line for fishing in france

kdesilva

Hi all,

I'm heading to france in a few weeks time and have started to think what mainline I'll need on my reels, the lake I'm going to has lots of thirties, forties and 50's and has had two or more 60's out so far this year.

Currently using sensor brown 15lb but not sure this will cut the mustard!

Tight lines

Thanks for all the help, gotta get a new reel as well so thinking I'll load that one up with some Korda Adrenaline. The sensor brown does coil up and keep it's memory quite a lot! It's a bit like a slinky after casting!

Then i feel feel that you should go with the 18lb line ,it will give you a bit more chance in playing one of the biggies as your not used to it ,the only other thing is get your clutch set right if anything on the light side , you can always tighten it up during the fight , good luck. :)

Thank you all for the advice, I'm really looking forward to my trip to France and want to have as much confidence in my gear as possible. John you make a very good point and I'll take into consideration all of the above posts. (I'll let you know how I get on! Although it's not til July)

Thanks for all the help, gotta get a new reel as well so thinking I'll load that one up with some Korda Adrenaline. The sensor brown does coil up and keep it's memory quite a lot! It's a bit like a slinky after casting!

get yourself a gardner line twist lead for a quid or so and give it two three cast, start of about 25-30yds, wind it in then 50yds then further. this should remove all that slinky like memory ! :wink:

There's a general rule of line being able to handle 4 times its weight under the water so 15lb line should be able to handle 60lb carp and 18lb line should handle 72lb carp.

Both seem up to the job for you so its whatever you decide.

A good tip is always to go with the lakeowners recommendations as its their lake. They should have a lot of experience regarding their lake eg knowing which weight lines have caught certain weights of their carp, what line people have used when they've had breakages etc.