mono/tubing/leadcore

carpking4

i was reading an article a minute aga saying about a carps mouth had been damaged by a mono hooklink an a mono leader, now i nor,normally use a coated braid as a hooklink because i prefer it to mono etc but how many of you use a leader and if so what kind mainline/mono,tubing or my favourite leadcore

just woundering and does anyone have any views on leadcore as ive heard if used uncorrectly it will be very dangerous

dan :D

Have Fun:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32598

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40970

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39794

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41527

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38886

I've given you plenty to read on those threads, some or even most of your questions may be answered on them.

Hopefully it will persuade you how much of a danger Leadcore is to Carp fishing, and that the use of a leader is not needed at all in most cases except for Distance Fishing.

i know but i use leadcore at the minute
you know but you use it :? you have to ask a lot of questions that lead us to believe you need a lot of help but yet risk using leadcore which you probably dont know how to use in a safe manner (which there aint really a safe enough way of using it) why risk it? if you must use a leader of some sort then why not just use tubing?

you know but you use it :? you have to ask a lot of questions that lead us to believe you need a lot of help but yet risk using leadcore which you probably dont know how to use in a safe manner (which there aint really a safe enough way of using it) why risk it? if you must use a leader of some sort then why not just use tubing?

i used to splice my own leadcore leaders and really do my best to make sure they were safe but i will not use them at all now, and also most decent carp waters dont allow them

You have all those links to read, and a number of them have pictures of fish which have been tethered and died on a leader or leadcore, and many have personal experiences of anglers who have written about fish tethered and snagged on the same unable to break free, or trailing line, and yet you still use it?

I'm sorry, but with all the questions you have asked, it shows your inexperience, and maybe even a little irresponsibility in still using such a risky product.

It does not take an angler error in using it for the potential for a fish to become tethered or die because of it, (although the error is in using it!). You have heard about it being used incorrectly, well it can still be dangerous if used correctly, so there is NO correct way to use it safely.

The lead core inner may poke out the sheathing and prevent a bead from releasing, and in doing so hold the rig in place. The leadcore may get twisted and kinked, under casting force, and you may get a snap-off, that is another potential dead fish.

Don't think that I have no idea what I'm saying, and I am just jumping on the Anti Leadcore bandwagon; I did used to use it, and was happy in its use, until some members on here, Jemsue, Goblin started making me think about its potential for danger. I then lost a fish at SWP where the leadcore leader kept the mainline down in the water as I played a fish, and in doing so, the mainline rubbed through and got abraded on a gravel bar, which eventually cut me off. I left a fish with a length of leadcore trailing behind it. I also retrieved a Safezone leader that had snagged up, covered in weed it was unable to release the rig or the lead.

I then tried a series of experiments in the middle of winter, actually getting into the water to see how it landed in the lake, and what happened if it got snagged. While doing this I also pulled in a fish that had gotten snagged up with leadcore around a branch. The fish may have been hooked on a helicopter set-up, but because the leadcore was wrapped around the snag it made no odds, and the fish was snagged and tethered.

For your sake, the safety of the fish, and for the happiness of many other anglers, please, dispose of the leadcore, put it in the bin where it belongs and just use mainline (and tubing) straight through.

If you are worried about whether tubing puts fish off, look at my results this year, and I use tubing to protect the mainline from rubbing over the gravel on the lake I'm fishing and protect from snags. I may have lost a few, but I do KNOW that the most the fish is trailing is a short hooklink. :wink:

Very well said nick, i stopped using it after reading jemsue`s comments , it was the FACT that it can kink that made me take stock, i have never lost a lead core but wont take the risk of it, and to be honest a leader is not neccessary in 99% of my fishing , so i fish mainline straight to the rig, and im happy that fish welfare is maintained .

I've scanned those links - to be honest I've not read every post word-by-word - but from what I saw, the rigs displayed are "idiot-rigs" as I chose to call them - or "death-rigs" as most people call them. I didn't see anything there that suggested that leadcore or leaders in themselves are an issue, when used sensibly. [i should point out that a large number of the pictures are now "missing" :wink: ]

My view - and I'll open myself up for abuse (but please make sure you can back it up with real facts!) - is that any rig is only as safe as the angler. So educating them properly is what it's all about - are there similar topics on "safe rigs" with appropriate photo's?

I've scanned those links - to be honest I've not read every post word-by-word - but from what I saw, the rigs displayed are "idiot-rigs" as I chose to call them - or "death-rigs" as most people call them. I didn't see anything there that suggested that leadcore or leaders in themselves are an issue, when used sensibly. [i should point out that a large number of the pictures are now "missing" :wink: ]

My view - and I'll open myself up for abuse (but please make sure you can back it up with real facts!) - is that any rig is only as safe as the angler. So educating them properly is what it's all about - are there similar topics on "safe rigs" with appropriate photo's?

2 examples of "safe" set ups are the inline lead and free running lead, these should always discarge the lead in the event of a line break.

lead core can and does kink if that happens the lead wont drop of so a fish will be towing leader, rig and lead ! where fish welfare is concerned, the more "risks" you remove, the better for the fish and sport in general

Thanks for the info - but I was thinking more for a section on here rather than for me personally.

I'm afraid I don't agree with you entirely - whilst the two systems your refer to are "safer", there are still scenario's where they are wrong. If someone fishes those in a snag situation - and is fishing badly such that the fish careers through a series of snags, snagging the mainline above the lead, then when they inevitably pull for a break, the lead probably won't discharge! For me, that's not the rig being unsafe, but poor angling - which is my point.

• 4 weeks later...

i used to splice my leadcore as well jules and when you return the outer leadcore back on itself i used to superglue that as well, one day i was tying on a piece of lead core and i passed the mainline through the loop in the normal way, i tied my normal grinner knot moistned the knot and slid it down trimmed the knot then i tested the strength by pulling, and yes you guessed it the leadcore just snapped :cry::cry: after that ive never used another piece of leadcore in the bin it went, as for these days i use the jrc tungsten tubing, or direct to the rig, via mono :!::wink: