Boilie under a float?

essexjock

Morning all!

Anyone help here? is it possible to dangle a boilie on a hair under a float lets say a foot under it? Reason im asking is I sometimes use a zigrig and popups but get concerned about distance i get achieve whilst casting without tangles,Ive read about using pva string to tie a loop on my hooklenght,just think i could if possible get better range with a float and have my bait 18" under the surface instead of 3feet off the bottom..any ideas or tips on this mush appreciated.

Jock.

i would put a bag of groundbait and liquid flavour round it nothing to heavy as its just gonna sink straight to the bottom unless its a highly stocked lake and the carp are attacing the bait when the float hits the water. also you can make a sloppy spod mix up and spod it over the top if the carp aint scared of the spod.

about 10 years ago i tried this with 8mm boilies around the edge of a big patch of lillies on a little farm resevoir i used to fish, worked an absolout treat i didn't use a bag around it at all but i am sure if i had of thought about it at the time a nice soupy cloudy mix would have been the best option. i don't know why but i havn't used it since when it could have been quiet handy in other situations !! :?:?

with regards to the zig rigs i find that with a nice smooth cast and two pva nuggets, sandwhich them either side of the hook u will very rarely get a tangle, after all the lead is always going to fall alot quicker than your zig. and casting a 1,2,3 oz lead will always get you further than with a float ! :wink:

lol in which case il give you another tip, you know the stuff people use for packing? you recieve you box and all them annoying nuggets fall out and you chuck them away? they are PVA nuggets the same ones they charge you 4-5 quid for in the tackle shops :wink::wink::wink: obviously check one first in a sink full of water just to be 100% but most if not all of them are

Another good way to reduce tangle's with the Zigrig is always follow the rig with your rod when your casting and just as it is about to hit the water put your finger on the line on the reel to stop it, what it does is where the lead is heavier the rig always trails behind so when you put your finger on the spool to stop it it flips the rig past the weight and straightens it out and away from your rig. You can also use a stiff link material of about 12-15 inches just off the lead, this can act as a boom to keep your rig away from the weight,

Vinyljunkie & Bissami thanks alot guys your time and advice is very much appreciated,especially for a newbie to carping..pva nuggets in pakaging eh! who would av thought that lol..might try the local takeaways now and see if contains any maggots lol

Reguarding the zig would using lets say 3/4 nuggets on my hooklenght spaced out be benifical? like in a situation were Im having to cast out quite a bit? Ill deffo try the two each side of the hook,just wondering if this idea would lesson the chance of a tangle..

Thanks again lads..

Jock.

To be honest i have never used pva nuggets apart from on the hook, you never know buddy you could revolutionize carp fishing by having a totally tangle free zig-rig. Give it a go, thats how we make progress in carp fishing, people trying new ways. Go for it buddy :D:D:D:D

I would also try using some floating baits as well around your float. If you watch the movement of fish when surface fishing you can see that they come up slowly from around the depth your talking about. Mind you, if they are taking the surface baits then surface fishing is even better than the float. I normally try this around lilly pads where the lilly pads hold the floating baits in place, then fish a float or suface fish just on the edge of the pad.

Morning all!

Anyone help here? is it possible to dangle a boilie on a hair under a float lets say a foot under it? Reason im asking is I sometimes use a zigrig and popups but get concerned about distance i get achieve whilst casting without tangles,Ive read about using pva string to tie a loop on my hooklenght,just think i could if possible get better range with a float and have my bait 18" under the surface instead of 3feet off the bottom..any ideas or tips on this mush appreciated.

Jock.

It has been used on Drayton Reservoir as a viable catching method, regular baiting, catapulting boilies, groundbait over the float. Mostly by the Match anglers who used to fish there.

Add some floating bits into your groundbait, so you have a groundbait that sinks and then some of the particles float up along with some groundbait that breaks up and go down you create an area that has particles (as in pieces) constantly in the area.

If you want to fish at distance with a float and a boilie then try this, just recently i have been fishing a local lake with an island 100yds out, the fish cruise around the island on the surface or about a foot under, it is too far to get any freebies out there with a catapault so i use my spod, soon as the spod hits the water it is like a dinner bell going off for the fish, because they are so far out i think they feel safe and munch up the freebies in no time.

What i have come up with is a hooklink on my spod, this is how to set-up, you will need a Korda skyraider long range spod if fishing around the 100yds+, i use a helicopter rig, clip the spod onto the snap swivel where you would normally put your lead on, the helicopter rig has tubing and the tubing will push onto your hooklink swivel to make it semi fixed, whaterever you do, DO NOT use a fixed spod because if you snap up with a fish it could be tethered up with a spod attached to it, the hooklink is simple, 8Ib mono approx 2ft in length with a size 10 hook with a hair, i fish with a white chocolate pop up but trimmed down with scissors to about 10mm, fill the spod with small floating pellets and away you go, i have been fishing this for about a month now, and it's fish after fish while everyone else is blanking, i have had nearly 100 carp from 5 day sessions, it is brilliant fun, it might not work on all waters but it does the trick where i fish, wont be long until everyone is doing it, it is bascially a bagging waggler but with a spod instead of a float. The Bagging Spodller rules!!!!!!!!!!!