when you fish a running rig what do you need after the lead

samcfc

say you put the lead on to your mainline

then what comes after it before you put your rig on?

i normally just have a buffer bead

but i think there is other ways

Hi Sam, I use running rigs with light leads all the time now and I have messed around with all sorts of beads etc and the best that I can find at the moment are the ESP "helicopter buffer bead." They are a longish bead which fits right over the swivel and i then use a quick link for attaching my hook link with a long tapered boom which covers the quick link and fits inside the opening of the buffer bead. All knots and swivel etc are then covered and keeps it nicely tangle resistant.

Hope that helps mate.

Keith

Like Keith and the others I try to keep it as simple as possible, although my choice is for Solar Running Rigs.

Run Ring on Line first, Buffer Bead, then Hooklink attached to swivel.

The only reason for tubing as I use it, is to protect from some snags, and in the majority of cases there is no need for it. It does reduce sensitivity, and makes the End Tackle more visible to the fish

A nice piece of tackle for anyone using running leads are the Enterprise snag safe lead clips. These enable you to easily change lead size and remove the lead for transporting the rods but will release the lead if it should get snagged. They come in two types and both work really well.

http://www.enterprisetackle.co.uk/terminalhtm/snagsafelead.htm

http://www.enterprisetackle.co.uk/terminalhtm/newsnagsafelead.htm

Jez

A nice piece of tackle for anyone using running leads are the Enterprise snag safe lead clips. These enable you to easily change lead size and remove the lead for transporting the rods but will release the lead if it should get snagged. They come in two types and both work really well.

http://www.enterprisetackle.co.uk/terminalhtm/snagsafelead.htm

http://www.enterprisetackle.co.uk/terminalhtm/newsnagsafelead.htm

Jez

Jez, they are extremely effective and give another safety edge to even the running rig mate.

Keith

Guest fenboy

I currently use the korda running rig sleeve the lead sits on it nicely the swivel fits in with just enough tension and if I need to use tubing the korda stuff fits it perfectly .

I currently use the korda running rig sleeve the lead sits on it nicely the swivel fits in with just enough tension and if I need to use tubing the korda stuff fits it perfectly .
Fenboy....this is exactly what I use. It looks very neat and tidy, I'm just worrying myself recently, that the swivel isn't big enough, and it provides more resistance than I would like? What do you think?

Guest fenboy
Fenboy....this is exactly what I use. It looks very neat and tidy, I'm just worrying myself recently, that the swivel isn't big enough, and it provides more resistance than I would like? What do you think?

Cant say I have found it a problem sharpy ,the fish that I posted from my session this week all fell to the running rig using a 18lb flurocarbon leader of around 4ft , I will be using the same running rig saturday in france but with tubing as leaders are banned.

I have to say since I switched to running rigs my catches have soared.

Sharpy, get yourself a pack of the enterprise rigs that Jez posted about. They are superb and add that extra bit of fish safety to your rig.

Keith

I take it you are using the sleeve with the korda big eyed swivel and not a standard one ?
Yeah I'm using them swivels, but using tubing also...Maybe i'm just being paranoid! I was thinking maybe the bigger diameter plastic ones (like what Jez posted) would run more freely?

Guest fenboy

Only trouble is they would be too big for the running sleeve and from experience I have found it hard to come up with a suitable bead which is big enough for the larger type run rings but that you are still able to fix tubing into .

Only trouble is they would be too big for the running sleeve and from experience I have found it hard to come up with a suitable bead which is big enough for the larger type run rings but that you are still able to fix tubing into .
Yeah was thinking about scrapping using the sleeves altogether.

And that was the problem I had before, the tubing would fly up the line on the cast, as it wasn't 'gripped' by the bead. I've had problems when fishing over a little weed, that the eye of the big eyed swivel gets clogged up.

I used to use Solar Bullet Buffer beads, it may be worth having a look and see if the new "re-design" will still take tubing if you need it.

http://www.solartackle.co.uk/adv_rg/adv_rg06.html#beads2

Hi Sam, I use running rigs with light leads all the time now and I have messed around with all sorts of beads etc and the best that I can find at the moment are the ESP "helicopter buffer bead." They are a longish bead which fits right over the swivel and i then use a quick link for attaching my hook link with a long tapered boom which covers the quick link and fits inside the opening of the buffer bead. All knots and swivel etc are then covered and keeps it nicely tangle resistant.

Hope that helps mate.

Keith

Hey keith, i have been using running rigs since i started fishing in august. i couldnt use straight through mainline because i was getting tangles on every cast. as soon as i switched to tubing tangles were a thing of the past. how do you do it? lol

Hope that helps mate.

Keith

Hey keith, i have been using running rigs since i started fishing in august. i couldnt use straight through mainline because i was getting tangles on every cast. as soon as i switched to tubing tangles were a thing of the past. how do you do it? lol

I'm guessing that you are using braided hook links or combi links with quite a long section of braid. To use them and reduce tangles you are right to use tubing or to feather the cast in order to straighten out the hook link just before it hits the water.

Personally I prefer fluoro hook links tied to a "D" or combi rigs with the braided part shorter than the shank of the hook and I still feather the cast to keep it all straight. You will find that the "lob" type cast or even the underarm swing are the worst for tangles mate.

One other tip is to use a small stick bag to pull the hook link through which will reduce tangles. If you don't want to add a food to the stick you could use glugged sand which will add to the flavour but not the food.

Hope that helps.

Keith