when you fish a running rig what do you need after the lead

samcfc

i am using coated braid, as a hooklink. they were around the 5 inch mark. is there a pic of your actual set up? also will the kryston superstiff give braid the stiffness quality of fluoro? no not a big fan of food parcels. the sand is a brilliant idea :) oh one more, does the mainline have any influence on tangles? thanks

i am using coated braid, as a hooklink. they were around the 5 inch mark. is there a pic of your actual set up? also would the kryston superstiff turn normal braid into a stiff rig? no not a big fan of food parcels. the sand is a brilliant idea :) oh one more, does the mainline have any influence on tangles? thanks

Superstiff dissolves in water, so it reverts back to a soft braid :wink:

Does using a Coated braid give you the option?

It will reduce tangles, and you can still have a length of uncoated/stripped braid near the hook

Hi mate,

I tend to use a figure of eight knot at one end connected to a quick link swivel and to the hook either tie a grinner knot and blob the tag end or knotless knot to a stiff hair. When tying flurocarbon hooklengths tension must be maintained whilst you are creating the knots otherwise it can "spring" off! Also moisten the knots well before you bed them down. Hope that helps.

You mis-understood me, i mean purely on the cast. i have so many more questions :P what knots are the best for a fluro hooklink? also can i use a hair rig style, instead of the d rig style?

No, I didn't misunderstand you :wink: Read it carefully :P

The actual choice of rig, hook and hooklink etc is down to you, but Keith has just given what works for him. It may depend on how the fish on YOUR local lake behave, so you will have to get some time down there watching them, and seeing how they feed, where they feed etc , then base your decisions on that.

What works for one person does not work for others. I absolutely love Daiwa Sensor line, others hate it. I don't like Korda Hooks, and avoid them, so what I would recommend will be different to other people

Knots for Fluoro, from the SEARCH FACILITY click here :wink:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32234&highlight=flurocarbon

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38614&highlight=fluorocarbon

The answers to some of your questons can be found on here already, as I said, it will be differing opinions from various people.

BUT, the person who has to work it out in the end is YOU

Now for some more questions :)

Keith

Do you use that set up in silt?

These are based at anyone who cares to help

Whats the best fluoro to use?

Whats the best hook pattern?

I assume rig length is something that you can't predict until the actual fishing session.

Yes mate. My lake is a clay bottomed estate lake so that is the rig that I use virtually all the time. The only thing that I sometimes change if I'm fishing into the real soft areas is to extend the link between run ring and lead with about 6-12" of lead core (see I do use it). By splicing it to the lead and then a swivel or loop on the other end you can still hook it onto the run ring and its length will keep the ring above the silt/weed.

My own choices of fluoro are

1. main line = Big-carp fluoro

2. hook links = ESP soft ghost

When I am using fluoro tied to a "D" I always use ESP "Stiff Riggers" because the eye is designed for mono type hook links and sets the hook at just the right angle.

With a combi rig I use ESP curved shanx with a supple hair.

As Nick said they are just my own personal choices based on experience and confidence.

Hope that helps.

Keith

You mis-understood me, i mean purely on the cast. i have so many more questions :P what knots are the best for a fluro hooklink? also can i use a hair rig style, instead of the d rig style?

The actual choice of rig, hook and hooklink etc is down to you, but Keith has just given what works for him. It may depend on how the fish on YOUR local lake behave, so you will have to get some time down there watching them, and seeing how they feed, where they feed etc , then base your decisions on that.

What works for one person does not work for others. I absolutely love Daiwa Sensor line, others hate it. I don't like Korda Hooks, and avoid them, so what I would recommend will be different to other people

The answers to some of your questons can be found on here already, as I said, it will be differing opinions from various people.

The actual choice of rig, hook and hooklink etc is down to you

Not if it keeps bloody tangling :P

I know that, but there is always something you can totally skip on. Whats the point of making the same mistake as someone else? I don't have the time on the bank, to make silly mistakes that someone else could of corrected by asking :)

I am all ready using the running rig set up, i just wanted to know how he stop it tangling.

Thanks for the links i will give them a read.

Now for some more questions :)

Keith

Do you use that set up in silt?

These are based at anyone who cares to help

Whats the best fluoro to use?

Whats the best hook pattern?

I assume rig length is something that you can't predict until the actual fishing session.

Yes mate. My lake is a clay bottomed estate lake so that is the rig that I use virtually all the time. The only thing that I sometimes change if I'm fishing into the real soft areas is to extend the link between run ring and lead with about 6-12" of lead core (see I do use it). By splicing it to the lead and then a swivel or loop on the other end you can still hook it onto the run ring and its length will keep the ring above the silt/weed.

My own choices of fluoro are

1. main line = Big-carp fluoro

2. hook links = ESP soft ghost

When I am using fluoro tied to a "D" I always use ESP "Stiff Riggers" because the eye is designed for mono type hook links and sets the hook at just the right angle.

With a combi rig I use ESP curved shanx with a supple hair.

As Nick said they are just my own personal choices based on experience and confidence.

Hope that helps.

Keith

I doubt i will bother with fluoro mainline. Don't have the funds really.

Do you know anyone who uses braid instead of the fluoro hooklink? without any type of leader.

NEVER use braided main line without some kind of fish protection. This is the only time that I would always use a section of leader. The only time that I use braided main line is on the river but I then use 55 lb main line with a 110 lb braid casting leader and about 4 feet of 30 lb fluoro as fish protection and then an 18 lb fluoro hook link. That way any breakages should leave the fish with just the hook link to deal with.

Keith

NEVER use braided main line without some kind of fish protection. This is the only time that I would always use a section of leader. The only time that I use braided main line is on the river but I then use 55 lb main line with a 110 lb braid casting leader and about 4 feet of 30 lb fluoro as fish protection and then an 18 lb fluoro hook link. That way any breakages should leave the fish with just the hook link to deal with.

Keith

My bad

I'm not really writing, what i'm thinking tonight. :oops:

I mean uses braid as a hooklink, instead of your fluoro hooklink.

The actual choice of rig, hook and hooklink etc is down to you

Not if it keeps bloody tangling :P

I know that, but there is always something you can totally skip on. Whats the point of making the same mistake as someone else? I don't have the time on the bank, to make silly mistakes that someone else could of corrected by asking :)

I am all ready using the running rig set up, i just wanted to know how he stop it tangling.

Thanks for the links i will give them a read.

Mistakes are part and parcel of fishing :wink: and to be honest what is a mistake at one moment in time is the correct solution at a later date :? , although tangles are not part of it, and I don't accept them, even though I use Braid all the time. I spent a long time making sure that my rigs wouldn't tangle or those that would working out solutions to them.

Time on the bank spent watching the fish means that I know my rigs will work. Different fish feed in different manner, and no 1 rig will really cater for different methods of feeding.

Like I said in Hook patterns, they don't really make that much difference regards tangles, but I prefer certain patterns that work for me and my fishing. I gave you the option of Coated Braids which really reduce tangles if you want to avoid them, but still have option of fishing a braided end section. PVA will totally reduce tangles, stringers, mesh or bags

some rig pics:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

Mistakes are part and parcel of fishing and to be honest what is a mistake at one moment in time is the correct solution at a later date , although tangles are not part of it, and I don't accept them, even though I use Braid all the time. I spent a long time making sure that my rigs wouldn't tangle or those that would working out solutions to them.

Quite right if you use your brain you will not get tangles.

Casting correctly also helps a great deal.

I will also say that on experiments I did two or so years ago every baited rig I cast to the far side of a pool [50metres] was not tangled on the bottom.

However on retrieval 4 out of 11 were tangled.

So do not assume you are getting tangled on the cast.

Mistakes are part and parcel of fishing and to be honest what is a mistake at one moment in time is the correct solution at a later date , although tangles are not part of it, and I don't accept them, even though I use Braid all the time. I spent a long time making sure that my rigs wouldn't tangle or those that would working out solutions to them.

Quite right if you use your brain you will not get tangles.

Casting correctly also helps a great deal.

I will also say that on experiments I did two or so years ago every baited rig I cast to the far side of a pool [50metres] was not tangled on the bottom.

However on retrieval 4 out of 11 were tangled.

So do not assume you are getting tangled on the cast.

Very true Frank,

But it's no confidence booster :(

im going for 5 days from april the 6th. as you can imagine my carp addiction level is threw the roof, as i have to go through another week of work. :( its not to bad though, i always spend a bit of time down the lake, before a long session. just watching the water etc.... im hoping there will be, not many people down there, so i can practice casting and anti-tangle methods. away from my swim :P i will post a little report of how i get on in the catch report section. with a few pics hopefully :) thanks for the help guys, some nice ideas for me to try out.