Having trouble with my helicopter rig

tcbuk

In the relatively short time I have been carp fishing I have more often than not used running rigs or fixed with safety clip at short distances or margins.

I am waiting for my membership to come through to club that reqires me to fish at further distancies and I've been playing around with helicopter rigs.

I started with an Osprey tactical photo-chromic kit:

Problem #1 - I found the clear rubber beads supplied impossible to thread over the rig tube so I found some clear plastic beads, the hole in the bead was a little too big, to get around this I used superglue to hold them in place, with a piece of shrink tubing in between them (I found it helped with adhesion).

Problem #2 - How are you supposed to prevent the rig tubing from sliding up the line to the swivel ? I am currently using those fox lead thingies (lol) with the rubber insert.

I'm quite pleased with the result and accompanied with the Osprey clear lead I am hoping for pretty good camoflage on the lake bed.

Does anyone have any comments about the "problems" I am having ? If indeed they are problems ?

Image1.jpg

:shock: sorry but do not use that rig it is a death trap. you dont need and should not use the swivel on the end of the line all that will do is trap the swivel with hook attatched and the fish will not be able to dump in the case of a break off and the lead and will get caught up on roots, between rocks and many other things which will leave the fish tethered and unable to get away.

:shock: sorry but do not use that rig it is a death trap. you dont need and should not use the swivel on the end of the line all that will do is trap the swivel with lead attatched and the fish will not be able to dump in the case of a break off and the lead and will get caught up on roots, between rocks and many other things which will leave the fish tethered and unable to get away.

If it could get past the superglued beads of course. :shock:

:shock: sorry but do not use that rig it is a death trap. you dont need and should not use the swivel on the end of the line all that will do is trap the swivel with lead attatched and the fish will not be able to dump in the case of a break off and the lead and will get caught up on roots, between rocks and many other things which will leave the fish tethered and unable to get away.

The rig would have to get past the superglued beads first :twisted:

This is everything a helicopter rig shouldn't be. Thats why I tought it was a wind up :twisted::twisted:

If it could get past the superglued beads of course. :shock:

:shock::shock: i did not read the thread just looked at the picture and posted my reply, reading the thread i think that it is a very silly wind up (or should i say hope it is) that needs deleting. if it is not a wind up then at least tcbuk will now learn and hopefully stop using this rig.

Steady on fellas, I asked a question .... I thought that was the idea of forums.

Still waiting for membership so no need for distance yet, so no, the rig was never used.

If only I had tine to read every thread ....

I wrongly assumed by using a hooklink that was a significantly lower BS than the rest that the hooklink would be the first to give and missed the rest.

Ok, replacing the superglue, removing the small weight and swivel no big deal, how do you prevent the rig tubing running up the line and ending up being tethered to a fish.

:shock::?:shock::evil:

I saw that pic and I'm very slowly counting to 10, but at the moment I'm putting swear words between every figure. :shock:

Think my usual "Kick the PC, headbutt the door, roll a ciggie, kick the front door, smoke and then back via the headbutted items again may well come into play. :roll:

PLEASE FOR YOUR SAKE IF I EVER SEE IT, AND FOR THE SAKE OF THE FISH DO NOT USE THAT RIG AS IT STANDS, REMOVE THE TOP SWIVEL OF THAT SET-UP, DO NOT SUPERGLUE BEADS ONTO TUBING.

YES I DO INTEND TO SHOUT AT THAT, IT IS DISGUSTING :evil: .

You have been a member of this forum since September 2007 and you think to make a rig like that is acceptable fishing? :(:roll:

There are absolutely loads of threads about Running rigs, Rig Safety etc.

Either a VERY bad taste wind-up, or APPALLING Fishing (sorry I REFUSE to call it angling :!: ).

My nice part of this post:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26640

At least he asked for help and didnt just use it :?

Sometimes people are to quick to jump at people :?

This photo could be used in a death rig sticky with arrows and annotations as to why it is a DISGUSTING rig??????

To help point out what a death rig is and different variations as some people may look at one death rig- then see another completely different death rig setup and not realise that the later is also a death rig?????

Gaz, thanks for the constructive comment, appreciate it.

As for the rest of them, pretty much patronising to say the least, glad I counted a darn sight more than 10 or I'd have been banned already.

Yes, so I got it wrong .... big deal, isn't that what this place is supposed to be for .. learning ?

God only knows what this is supposed to mean:

"As for a club/syn that requires you to cast further,what a load of cods,or should that be dead cods"

Maybe continue tomorrow if I can still log in.

Hi mate im not gonna put you down anymore i know its a bad rig.

With your mainline thread that through the tubing and tie it to the lead. With the rubber bead you need it to be sliding so that in the result of a snap the fis can free the tubing and the lead, so all its left with is the hooklink. If its moving too much the best thing to do is buy a smaller bead but not too tight, or just tie a little piece of pva tape on it. Hope this helps

ok mistake made i aint got the slightest clue to set up a helicopter rig and obviously so doesnt this chap

post a picture of a correct one and explain it and where he went wrong think some reactions are a bit harsh he didnt use it for 3 weeks then ask advice he took a picture and asked if it was ok and any tips as to where he is going wrong surely ???

Your right TCB - This forum is for learning. You seem to use it for forgetting :?

I don't see how it can be called safe.

Even if there is the slightest chance that everything cannot run off in the event of a crack off it should not be used, let alone publicised.

Not sure it makes any difference how much lighter your hook link is, there's still no way to be sure you don't scrape a sharp stone or something above the hook link and get snapped up a number feet up the line, leaving god only knows what being towed around.

The above quote was taken from:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31293&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

ok mistake made i aint got the slightest clue to set up a helicopter rig and obviously so doesnt this chap

post a picture of a correct one and explain it and where he went wrong think some reactions are a bit harsh he didnt use it for 3 weeks then ask advice he took a picture and asked if it was ok and any tips as to where he is going wrong surely ???

Am I still harsh Dave? :roll::roll:

I'll give another answer as to why I got so wound up other than the obvious Death Rig scenario:

Rig Tying Stickies, Lead Set-ups

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37603

IT IS ALREADY POSTED ON THE FORUM, it takes little common sense to find it.

I was not patronising, I was disgusted :!:. You want me to be patronising, and say Oh that is such a good rig, it will work?

The chance of that is an absolute No way.

I gave a constructive comment (actually link) to a thread that may answer a few questions and so that you can use or set up a safe rig.

The question as to how to set up a safe rig has been answered many times, and Tcbuk, I'm pretty positive you have participated in those threads ( https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31293) and so know that an Upline Swivel is a Big No No!

Use a little of that Common sense Please!

The only reason that you will be able to log on is so that you larn Darn quick about Rig Safety :!::idea:

Your right TCB - This forum is for learning. You seem to use it for forgetting :?

I don't see how it can be called safe.

Even if there is the slightest chance that everything cannot run off in the event of a crack off it should not be used, let alone publicised.

Not sure it makes any difference how much lighter your hook link is, there's still no way to be sure you don't scrape a sharp stone or something above the hook link and get snapped up a number feet up the line, leaving god only knows what being towed around.

The above quote was taken from:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31293&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Am I still harsh Dave? :roll::roll:

OI! Stop trying to steal my job as forum detective! :(

Try a small piece of shrink tube on the leader with a wide-bore bead pushed over it to keep the swivel in place on the cast (I use ESP shrink tube and Solar beads). It will pull off the shrink tube and the leader knot if you crack off then mate.

As for attaching the leader to the mainline, I presume those leaders come with a loop in the end? If so, use a palomar knot or similar, but you MUST ensure the bead and hooklink swivel will slide over it in the event of a break-off. You may want to try a ring swivel for attaching the hooklink too, rather than the big-eye, as it will give you some more movement.

If in doubt, don't cast out!!

Problem #2 - How are you supposed to prevent the rig tubing from sliding up the line ?

cut the tubing at a point and then push it into the helicopter tail rubber rubber that covers the lead swivel as far as you possibly can. you may need a bigger one than what you have in the picture. despite what some people/tackle companies say, dont glue the tubing to the rubber tail as it will go brittle and brake apart letting the tube slide up the line again and ruining your tail rubber.

This is awkward to explain :?

You cant really stop it, but you can help prevent it slightly lol