Leftyhunter Posted September 29 Report Posted September 29 I live in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and am new to carp fishing. I caught my first carp a few weeks ago just using a mustard hook and canned cor. The carp was 25 inches ling. Unlike the UK no US state as far as I know as any season or limit on the various carp species in the US . I caught a common aka Eurasian carp and there are quite a few in South Dakota. I would like a partner to learn more about carp fishing. Leftyhunter kevtaylor 1 Quote
salokcinnodrog Posted September 30 Report Posted September 30 Welcome to carp.com We do have a specific section of the forum devoted to American Carp fishing, although it has been quiet (https://forum.carp.com/forum/16-north-american-carp-fishing/) and a moderator who actually lives and fishes there. I know North America is big, but hopefully he can point you in the right direction. Leftyhunter 1 Quote
Leftyhunter Posted October 1 Author Report Posted October 1 21 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said: Welcome to carp.com We do have a specific section of the forum devoted to American Carp fishing, although it has been quiet (https://forum.carp.com/forum/16-north-american-carp-fishing/) and a moderator who actually lives and fishes there. I know North America is big, but hopefully he can point you in the right direction. I saw that the last thread was two years old. Carp fishing in the US is not all that popular although there are a few anglers who target carp . American fishermen for some reason consider carp a trash fish and if they catch one mostly while fishing for catfish they just throw them away or use them for catfish bait. On youtube there are a fair amount of videos showing that carp be eaten and at least one fish and game department ( Nebraska) encourages people to eat carp by having a cook at various outdoor events give samples of carp meat to folks plus demonstrating to cook them. Carp are plentiful in the Midwest and most likely elsewhere. There is a fair amount of bowfishing for carp in California. Carp are definitely underfunded in the US and most likely the US many times the amount of carp the the UK. Leftyhunter kevtaylor 1 Quote
kevtaylor Posted October 1 Report Posted October 1 7 hours ago, Leftyhunter said: I saw that the last thread was two years old. Carp fishing in the US is not all that popular although there are a few anglers who target carp . American fishermen for some reason consider carp a trash fish and if they catch one mostly while fishing for catfish they just throw them away or use them for catfish bait. On youtube there are a fair amount of videos showing that carp be eaten and at least one fish and game department ( Nebraska) encourages people to eat carp by having a cook at various outdoor events give samples of carp meat to folks plus demonstrating to cook them. Carp are plentiful in the Midwest and most likely elsewhere. There is a fair amount of bowfishing for carp in California. Carp are definitely underfunded in the US and most likely the US many times the amount of carp the the UK. Leftyhunter That's so insane to me, catfish are utter trash, ugly, slimy overgrown tadpoles. I can maybe see the desire to catch a huge Wells catfish like 150lb plus, but the smaller species such as the Channel Catfish are just plain pointless to me, I'd rather blank tbh Carp are different class entirely as I'm sure you agree. Would love to visit the US for some quality lure fishing for Bass and maybe some carp fishing - catfish no thanks, your compatriots are all bonkers lol Golden Paws 1 Quote
Leftyhunter Posted October 1 Author Report Posted October 1 Catfish are an essential part of cusine in the American South and have been raised in commercial farms for many decades. There are commercial catfish tackle and baits in the US. Different states have different limits on various catfish species vs no limits on any of the foreign carp species and often no limit on the native buffalo carp. Japan has high quality largemouth bass fishing at surprisingly reasonable prices. Cuba had excellent bass fishing not sure what bass fishing scene is like today. Fishing in Cuba might be less costly then in the US. In the US large and small mouth bass are the most popular freshwater game fish species with trout not far behind. Leftyhunter kevtaylor 1 Quote
framey Posted October 1 Report Posted October 1 (edited) The guest on the baitworks podcast from 9/1 is all about carp fishing in America and he has now started a podcast all about it so that may be of help to you.. have a little look The guest is usually on after the first hour. https://baitworks.libsyn.com/website/96-the-carp-fishing-podcast-joel-harber-usa-bears-big-carp Edited October 1 by framey Leftyhunter 1 Quote
Leftyhunter Posted October 1 Author Report Posted October 1 etes a funny video of a smaft pike vstwo xarp used for bait. Leftyhunter H Quote
Leftyhunter Posted October 1 Author Report Posted October 1 https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/aquaticanimals/commoncarp/index.html Carp are not welcome in the US but after 140 odd years there here to stay and luve in all 48 contiguous states plus Hawaii and also in parts of Northern Mexico . Leftyhunter Quote
yonny Posted October 2 Report Posted October 2 9 hours ago, Leftyhunter said: Carp are not welcome in the US That is changing. What us guys in the UK would call proper carp angling is becoming more and more popular over there and has been since the 90's. Some decent starting points below if you're interested. All strictly catch/release in principle. Home — American Carp Society Home - Carp Anglers Group A good while back the US record was caught in a river in Connecticut. It was 44 lb as I recall (far surpassed nowadays by fish well over 60 lb). I used to work for a US company and travelled to CT regularly, and that same river actually went through the grounds of the the site I used to visit. I never got to fish it but every day I'd be down there at some point looking for monsters. Leftyhunter 1 Quote
buzzbomb Posted 9 hours ago Report Posted 9 hours ago Attitude of anglers toward carp in North America depends a lot on the character and size of the water, and the number and species of native fish and how they are impacted. I wrote a book in offline posts then deleted it, lol. Leftyangler knows the difference between introduced species and invasive species (though in the link he posted common carp is mistakenly labeled invasive) and has valid reasons for his opinions, which sets him apart from many detractors. I have a feeling that in different circumstances and location if he could catch a few good ones doing it our way, he would see the attraction. The boom in c&r carping in North America peaked then faded, and Carp Angler's Group is a shadow of what it used to be, and ACS seems to be what's left of the no limits specimen hunters (though there are names on there I recall of both dodgy and revered characters). Quote
Leftyhunter Posted 1 hour ago Author Report Posted 1 hour ago As far as I can tell carp is regarded in the US as a harmful invasive species and I posted the statement of the Minnesota Department if Natural Resources on that issue. Unaware if any US state that has any limits and or seasons on invasive carp species including the common or Eurasian carp which also is fished for in the UK. I also posted that the Nebraska Fish and Game Department ( or their equivalent) has videos of a cook encouraging people to catch and eat carp. In South Dakota all carp species are regarded as invasive. Carp were introduced to the US has a food fish by immigrants who missed eating carp and were briefly planted by the federal government in certain waters. Carp of course breed very rapidly and eat the eggs of native fish. I dont know how many American anglers catch and eat carp but I do as they are delicious if a bit boney. Per youtube its not unknown but actual numbers if American carp anglers can only be guessed at. Leftyhunter Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.