fav winter rig???

thecarpkid1990

The water on my lake is starting to become clearer now, so I will need to scale down soon.

That maybe the case but the carps eyesight gets worse in winter, so they kind of balance things out. No need to scale down. Staying with 6s and 8s.

Thats true about the eyesight, maybe, but their sucking may be reduced so it can pay to use a smaller lighter hook to compensate.

Saying that I tend to use the same rigs winter or summer.

If I use pop-ups/critically balanced baits though I get them absolutely spot on perfect, and its checked in the margins, not a water tub!

what is everyone's favourite rig for the winter??? and what do you fish it in conjunction with???

mine at the moment is the 'accident rig' i read about it in carpworld i think and it has caught me those bonus fish when times are hard.

Think I know what you mean, it's like a normal rig, but with a huuuuge loop to attatch to the swivel?

what is everyone's favourite rig for the winter??? and what do you fish it in conjunction with???

mine at the moment is the 'accident rig' i read about it in carpworld i think and it has caught me those bonus fish when times are hard.

Think I know what you mean, it's like a normal rig, but with a huuuuge loop to attatch to the swivel?

yeah thats it. just a little blob of rig putty on the knot. i found it to be a really good variation to have.

The water on my lake is starting to become clearer now, so I will need to scale down soon.

That maybe the case but the carps eyesight gets worse in winter, so they kind of balance things out. No need to scale down. Staying with 6s and 8s.

I'm scalling down to 8's :wink:

I'm scalling down to 8's :wink:

i use 8's anyway so no changeing for me :wink::wink:

Id say its depends on the situation.

Say if im fishing 'bits' over particles i use, a size 8/9, but for the bigger boilies i go to a size 7/6.

Also for example, carp that have harder, scarred mouths whether that be from passing gravel when eating etc, then a strong, sharp bigger hook may be needed to get the best possible hookhold.

• 3 weeks later...

but surely the smaller the hook the sharper,in general,

i havent qwiye progressed to a lake where there all compleatly rig wised up but in general im still nevr too confident bout sharpness of the larger hooks and preferd smaller ones untill recently.

rig i tryed this week and landed first 2 carp of my winter campaign were caught on about 3 inches of stiff fluro tied to either small swivell or rig ring then a similar lenght of stripped back braid ( although il prob use sinklink or similar next time) tied to size 8 mugga with fake pop up sweet corn.

seemed to work a treat but any help welcome as i say was first time i used like this as i was playing about with setups.

i dont see the need to use 6s or 8s the smaller the better within reason ive used 10s in the summer now i will use a korda longshank x 12

I agree with you here. I cant see any reason why anyone should scale down for their winter fishing anyway. Ive always used a hook size that matches the size of my bait so if im using a piece of Peperami, a mini tiger, a grain of maize, a chick pea or a boilie no bigger than 12mm, then i use a size 10 hook. If im using a 15mm boilie a size 8 and a 18mm boilie or bigger then a size 6. I practice this method for 12 months of the year and 65 percent of my fishing this year has been done with a size 10 hook

Considering during winter i prefer to use smaller baits it will be generally a size 10 hook i use anyway.

I hav'nt done as much fishing in recent months well not as much as i'd have like'd due to other commitments but im back on the bank next weekend and i'll be using size 8 kamasan with korda iq on a simple knotless knot. cant beat them,no point in getting to technical in the winter i reckon.