Keeping kit dry

So, I've just been out in a deluge. Hail, thunder, lightning and everything. Whilst my bivvy coped brilliantly, the issue I had was water coming in under the sides. Thankfully I'm off home later today, but how do you keep your kit dry in those types of conditions? Is there something that will allow you to raise you kit 1-2 inches off the floor to stop the bottom getting soaked?

5 hours ago, InteraX said:

So, I've just been out in a deluge. Hail, thunder, lightning and everything. Whilst my bivvy coped brilliantly, the issue I had was water coming in under the sides. Thankfully I'm off home later today, but how do you keep your kit dry in those types of conditions? Is there something that will allow you to raise you kit 1-2 inches off the floor to stop the bottom getting soaked?

My groundsheet clips in on top of the umbrella base skirts, so water in theory should run underneath it.

I then put umbrella bag, rod holdall etc on top of the joint, with almost everything else going on top of the groundsheet (d'oh); tackle box is on the join, rucksack and food bags behind the bedchair.

I have an extension and front that zips to the umbrella, with a separate extension groundsheet should I use it, which I rarely do until winter.

I must admit that I don't use the groundsheet unless rain is forecast, and I am regularly on MetOffice checking the weather forecast before a session.

It's then a case of trying to be tidy and putting things away back in bags after use, or on top of bait bucket or tackle box.

My headlight hangs from the Delkim receiver which is clipped to the storm poles, and my car keys and binoculars are hung on the storm poles screws.

Does your bivvy have flaps on the outskirts of it? Once the bivvy is set up I place the groundsheet in while tucking the flaps under the sheet.

Also I try not to set up in a dip, as if you have driving rain in the door, it might cause it to collect and pool.

I try to work out when I'm on the bank which way the wind is coming from and have my door offset from the wind when setting up.

Try not to have anything touching the inside of the bivvy as it will pull water in 👍