Pop Ups - What Style Of Hook To Use

crusian

1 hour ago, crusian said:

Thanks very much , Nick .

😃

3 hours ago, crusian said:

Thanks , Nick .

I have to be careful regarding Solar 101's and Kamasan B175's as the waters I fish say I can only use manufactured barbless hooks 😢 .

If you need to use barbless, I would use something with a beaked point, wide gape, J precision long gape or krank. I've used barbless a few times recently and not suffered any losses using a beaked point. 

I've gone full circle tbh I never used to use a beak point at all,then I lost a load on straight points now they are pretty much all I use. 

Thanks for all the kicker suggestions, I think I might just buy some and test them against one another and see which works best for me 

On 10/06/2024 at 07:19, salokcinnodrog said:

I have no pretensions or ideas as to its name. I started playing around ages ago and came up with this to totally confuse the fish on the edge of weed and silt.

Since then I saw John Claridge use something similar in an article and online.

I don't know if the Gardner Covert Rig kickers and aligners would work for you?

There is also a weighted version for Ronnies.

I have a tendency to do all my rig tying and  shrink tube in one hit.

That might mean tying up 5 or 10 rigs at a time then having that many sat on the spout of the electric kettle...

Going back to @crusian and the original question, I have been through my tackle box and rig bins, and found some pop-up rigs tied on Kamasan B175's, knotless knotted, rig ring tied to the hair and with shrink tube over the eye Bent Hook Rig style.

I had tied them specifically for Chantry Park and Hintlesham Bottom Lake.

Thank you Nick.

• 1 month later...
On 06/06/2024 at 13:32, kevtaylor said:

Hi mate,

Initially I was using a coated braid, Suffix something or another but went onto ESP Tungsten Loaded which is 20lb I believe and really good.

More recently using a doubled over piece of stiff Korda Mouthtrap Chod Filament in 25lb for the hook loop, with the Tungsten Loaded as the boom section.

Either way I want the smallest hook end loop possible, prob 1 inch absolute max so it's as low as I can get it.  Tight to get the hook on once the putty has been applied.

I have used longer booms and hook end loops so it's a stiff hinge rig early season when fishing over silk weed, but the low version works well for me generally.

Hooks are 4's or 6's Korda Choddy hooks or JPrecision Advanced Chods.

You'll need to pull the hook loop through the hook eye with floss - it's a tight fit on the stiff version, but I do prefer it.

Looking to adapt it for bottom baits at the mo. 👍

Hi Kev 

So I have made ; 

7" Esp Tungsten Loaded Semi Stiff boom section with a 1" loop  .

No.6 Korda Choddy .

Nailed 2 Skimmer Bream in the middle of the bottom lip , and a little Tench , and a few Carp 😃 .

I have used the Kryston Non Slip Loop Knot for the loop , but it's a little fiddly ( I'm a simple soul !  ) , so I wondered what is the best Loop Knot ? .

🤔 

11 hours ago, crusian said:

Hi Kev 

So I have made ; 

7" Esp Tungsten Loaded Semi Stiff boom section with a 1" loop  .

No.6 Korda Choddy .

Nailed 2 Skimmer Bream in the middle of the bottom lip , and a little Tench , and a few Carp 😃 .

I have used the Kryston Non Slip Loop Knot for the loop , but it's a little fiddly ( I'm a simple soul !  ) , so I wondered what is the best Loop Knot ? .

🤔

Hi mate,

That's good it worked straight away.

So you're using the ESP Tungsten loaded with a loop at both ends?  If so I use a simple figure of eight loop knot for loops in coated braids.  I have a little break in the coating under the putty.

23 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Hi mate,

That's good it worked straight away.

So you're using the ESP Tungsten loaded with a loop at both ends?  If so I use a simple figure of eight loop knot for loops in coated braids.  I have a little break in the coating under the putty.

Thanks , Kev.

Yes my Boom section has a loop at both ends .

I also have a break behind the loop knot extending back about 5mm , with my counterbalance weight 3mm back up the coated section of the braid .

😃

2 hours ago, crusian said:

Thanks , Kev.

Yes my Boom section has a loop at both ends .

I also have a break behind the loop knot extending back about 5mm , with my counterbalance weight 3mm back up the coated section of the braid .

😃

I put the putty on the loop knot, secures the putty and lowers the pop-up to the max.  Seems to work high, low or medium just adjust to suit what your fishing over.

Pic is the stiff bottom end version

Screenshot_20240719_111523_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0b213a97826faccc1a1f1876ababa5ba.jpg

21 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

I put the putty on the loop knot, secures the putty and lowers the pop-up to the max.  Seems to work high, low or medium just adjust to suit what your fishing over.

Pic is the stiff bottom end version

Screenshot_20240719_111523_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0b213a97826faccc1a1f1876ababa5ba.jpg

Ooh , I've never considered / seen that tweak before , Kev. , I'll definitely give that a try .

😃

• 1 month later...
On 04/06/2024 at 19:22, crusian said:

Hi Everyone .

Your opinions please .

Which is best to use for a good hook hold , a Curve Shank Hook with the in - turned eye , or a Chod Style hook with an out - turned eye ? .

Would the answer change depending on whether you were using a Ronnie Rig , or a Multi Rig ? .

Many thanks .

😃

This is an interesting thread again, and I have got more answers and probably questions.

I'm probably not the most adventurous person when it comes to rigs, for years I stick to plain basic and simple, then every now and again I swap something around, sometimes based on hookpulls (I had a couple on Spinner rigs)

I honestly don't know why I do it, but this trip I juggled again.

A 360 rig, with the eye covered with tubing, to stop it getting caught in the landing net, and a size 4 Gardner Incizor, a sinker and putty tight to the ring swivel on the hooklink, a short Multi-rig with a size 4 101, putty just below the hook, and a reverse combi-rig, fluorocarbon section tied to the size 6 Gardner Mugga with Merlin braid boom.

Every fish has been nailed and come through the weed.

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought a couple of new additions for my spinner rigs after recent burred points on the sharpened one I normally use, mainly when using wafters I might add. I also have found normal spinners can give you hook pulls, i relearnt that this week 😳 they are just less faffy when you want to chuck one together. 

ESP trig hammer XT and esp d rig kickers. These seem sharp and slightly stronger than the originals, The flex was my main concern with those tbh. 

IMG_20240830_185906_edit_3409288092972.thumb.jpg.8e453b6a003ce5157889f792a335efe0.jpg

And some korda longshank beaked, these have an aggressive eye angle and are beaked, they seem to fit well with the avid D rig kickers. 

IMG_20240830_185823_edit_3499433683746.jpg.c9e57f0395453dc10faa62f7d15f13f2.jpg

My reason for the different kickers is I find the ESP ones are a tad fiddly as the bead end doesn't seem to have much of a hole so works best with a straight point hook, the avid one does have a hole in the bead end but can be prone to slightly moving. But actually seems quite snug on this hook. 

I would probably use both out the packet as they are pretty sharp, this would also save on rusting because I'm yet to find a product that really seems to stop rusty hooks on my lake. 

5 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

My reason for the different kickers is I find the ESP ones are a tad fiddly as the bead end doesn't seem to have much of a hole so works best with a straight point hook, the avid one does have a hole in the bead end but can be prone to slightly moving. But actually seems quite snug on this hook. 

I would probably use both out the packet as they are pretty sharp, this would also save on rusting because I'm yet to find a product that really seems to stop rusty hooks on my lake

Did you try the Gardner kickers I suggested?

I've not used them myself, but most Gardner stuff is spot on.

Rusty hooks seem to be a thing on some lakes, like some (usually) silty lakes do seem to be hook point blunters. 

I have noticed that out of the packet Muggas are good for a few fish before getting blunt enough to need changing.

Not caught anything on the Incizors to say anything about them compared to the 101's on Multi-rigs. I changed the last 101 hook I had last week, not had a pick-up this week.

I'm annoyed I can't get hold of standard 101's, I did like them!

10 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I also have found normal spinners can give you hook pulls, i relearnt that this week 😳 they are just less faffy when you want to chuck one together.

I think that is a problem with spinner rigs full stop. The Ronnie/spinner was supposed to be as good as a 360, but I have not found it so, despite fishing them side by side and losing fish to hookpulls on the spinner, but not on the 360.

Losing fish on my syndicate is not a pleasant experience, it could be anything from 15 to 50lb!

14 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Did you try the Gardner kickers I suggested?

I've not used them myself, but most Gardner stuff is spot on.

Rusty hooks seem to be a thing on some lakes, like some (usually) silty lakes do seem to be hook point blunters. 

I have noticed that out of the packet Muggas are good for a few fish before getting blunt enough to need changing.

Not caught anything on the Incizors to say anything about them compared to the 101's on Multi-rigs. I changed the last 101 hook I had last week, not had a pick-up this week.

I'm annoyed I can't get hold of standard 101's, I did like them!

I think that is a problem with spinner rigs full stop. The Ronnie/spinner was supposed to be as good as a 360, but I have not found it so, despite fishing them side by side and losing fish to hookpulls on the spinner, but not on the 360.

Losing fish on my syndicate is not a pleasant experience, it could be anything from 15 to 50lb!

I tried some korda and fox ones but tbh they are much of a muchness and it's not really the kicker that is the issue, I think the problem with the spinner is the lack of seperation between hookbait and hook tbh, the d rig kickers solve that issue, until this week I can't remember the last fish I lost tbh, but they are a small faff, I'm happy enough with the d rig kickers just need to get them ready in advance so I am not wasting time on the bank, much like I do my booms. That probably is the solution lol