Pop Ups - What Style Of Hook To Use

Hi Everyone .

Your opinions please .

Which is best to use for a good hook hold , a Curve Shank Hook with the in - turned eye , or a Chod Style hook with an out - turned eye ? .

Would the answer change depending on whether you were using a Ronnie Rig , or a Multi Rig ? .

Many thanks .

😃

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Yes out turned eye for a multi - not important for a Ronnie - not that I would ever use one.

Thanks , Kev .

I believe you are a Multi user ? ; what coated braid do you use please , and how big a loop at the hook end ( I'm guessing as you are targeting bigger Carp than me your loop sets your pop up fairly high ? ) .

Many thanks .

😃 

4 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Yes out turned eye for a multi - not important for a Ronnie - not that I would ever use one.

I still say you are missing out 😂

I like a wide gape for a Ronnie or a jprecision long gape kranks are also good, imo has to be an Inturned eye for me though, 

Multi rigs I would probably use a chod type hook 

On 04/06/2024 at 19:22, crusian said:

Hi Everyone .

Your opinions please .

Which is best to use for a good hook hold , a Curve Shank Hook with the in - turned eye , or a Chod Style hook with an out - turned eye ? .

Would the answer change depending on whether you were using a Ronnie Rig , or a Multi Rig ? .

Many thanks .

😃

I go against the grain as per usual, I won't use an out-turned eye on rigs, you are pulling away from the point, basically opening the hook out.

My pop-up rigs tend to be on straight shank hooks, Solar 101's, whether multi-rigs, D-rigs or sliding ring on the shank.

I might use a curved shank Mugga on a Ronnie rig

16 hours ago, crusian said:

Thanks , Kev .

I believe you are a Multi user ? ; what coated braid do you use please , and how big a loop at the hook end ( I'm guessing as you are targeting bigger Carp than me your loop sets your pop up fairly high ? ) .

Many thanks .

😃

Hi mate,

Initially I was using a coated braid, Suffix something or another but went onto ESP Tungsten Loaded which is 20lb I believe and really good.

More recently using a doubled over piece of stiff Korda Mouthtrap Chod Filament in 25lb for the hook loop, with the Tungsten Loaded as the boom section.

Either way I want the smallest hook end loop possible, prob 1 inch absolute max so it's as low as I can get it.  Tight to get the hook on once the putty has been applied.

I have used longer booms and hook end loops so it's a stiff hinge rig early season when fishing over silk weed, but the low version works well for me generally.

Hooks are 4's or 6's Korda Choddy hooks or JPrecision Advanced Chods.

You'll need to pull the hook loop through the hook eye with floss - it's a tight fit on the stiff version, but I do prefer it.

Looking to adapt it for bottom baits at the mo. 👍

Edited by kevtaylor

8 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Hi mate,

Initially I was using a coated braid, Suffix something or another but went onto ESP Tungsten Loaded which is 20lb I believe and really good.

More recently using a doubled over piece of stiff Korda Mouthtrap Chod Filament in 25lb for the hook loop, with the Tungsten Loaded as the boom section.

Either way I want the smallest hook end loop possible, prob 1 inch absolute max so it's as low as I can get it.  Tight to get the hook on once the putty has been applied.

I have used longer booms and hook end loops so it's a stiff hinge rig early season when fishing over silk weed, but the low version works well for me generally.

Hooks are 4's or 6's Korda Choddy hooks or JPrecision Advanced Chods.

You'll need to pull the hook loop through the hook eye with floss - it's a tight fit on the stiff version, but I do prefer it.

Looking to adapt it for bottom baits at the mo. 👍

That sounds a little more than a multi rig Kev, got me Intrigued, I've tied some chods like that before and I did like the way they sat, I might have a play with that when I get some spare time, what sort of knot are you using to connect the coated braid to the mouth trap? 

28 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

That sounds a little more than a multi rig Kev, got me Intrigued, I've tied some chods like that before and I did like the way they sat, I might have a play with that when I get some spare time, what sort of knot are you using to connect the coated braid to the mouth trap? 

9 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

I used something like that, actually a mix of a Multi-rig, Hinge and a 360 with Gardner Stiff Link.

The boom section was Kryston Snakeskin, but instead of the hinge or multi section being tied to the mini swivel, it went through the ring doubled over with a counterweight held in place under the swivel with the link being knotted and lighter tagged.

It produced a couple of uncaught fish from spots by the edge of the weed with bright pink pop-ups early season.

I'll try to find a pic, but John Claridge was using something similar.

11 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Albringht knot mate 👍

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Thanks, I just watched this vid Kev, there may or may not be a handy tip in it for you, I quite like what he did with the silicone 👍

That looks very neat , Elmo , but I'd probably cast straight into a tree after going to all the trouble of tying it .

😢

1 hour ago, crusian said:

That looks very neat , Elmo , but I'd probably cast straight into a tree after going to all the trouble of tying it .

😢

It does happen to us all, the 31lber I caught recently ripped off while I had just retrieved a rig from a tree minus half the hooklink I had to chuck the rod in the bush, to make it worse I had already lost a rig in the same tree that was a recast my plan was to hit it short and clip up 😂

It was this one just incase you didn't see the catch report. 

IMG_20240415_191030.thumb.jpg.673a5739e7f1e7ea23e24e6ab8d4284d.jpg

On 06/06/2024 at 23:06, salokcinnodrog said:

I used something like that, actually a mix of a Multi-rig, Hinge and a 360 with Gardner Stiff Link.

The boom section was Kryston Snakeskin, but instead of the hinge or multi section being tied to the mini swivel, it went through the ring doubled over with a counterweight held in place under the swivel with the link being knotted and lighter tagged.

It produced a couple of uncaught fish from spots by the edge of the weed with bright pink pop-ups early season.

I'll try to find a pic, but John Claridge was using something similar.

On 06/06/2024 at 22:20, elmoputney said:

Found it.

It is held up by the pop-up in water, so the curve link is not quite so severe as it looks.

The boom is a doubled over length of Smakeskin, and the pop-up weights are free running.

The hooklink section goes through the swivel exactly like a 360.

Yes, it is on a helicopter set up, Solar Unleaded needle knotted to the mainline, and I had cast it to around 115metres, just under the outer branches of a tree on the island where I'd seen a few fish, so it's tangle free.

The fish I had runs from, absolutely nailed.

You could quite easily swap the boom section material.

20220406_072158.jpg.bbb1e29496e68ba4f0107a35f817a5a1.thumb.jpg.081fcff3ce18447ac13c10f80e1e9860.jpg

I've decided I don't like the avid D rig kickers anymore as they tend to straighten in water and not give me the angle I want , last light I tried to tie one of the loops and soft booms but struggled to make it work (I was tired) I am now thinking slip D Ronnie might be the way for me with shrink tube as it gives me the seperation and shrink tube tends to stay at the angle it's set. Only downside with this is steaming, it's always a bit of a chore isn't it? It's either that or I need to find good Ronnie kickers and decent hook beads that don't move, any ideas? 

20 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Found it.

It is held up by the pop-up in water, so the curve link is not quite so severe as it looks.

The boom is a doubled over length of Smakeskin, and the pop-up weights are free running.

The hooklink section goes through the swivel exactly like a 360.

Yes, it is on a helicopter set up, Solar Unleaded needle knotted to the mainline, and I had cast it to around 115metres, just under the outer branches of a tree on the island where I'd seen a few fish, so it's tangle free.

The fish I had runs from, absolutely nailed.

You could quite easily swap the boom section material.

20220406_072158.jpg.bbb1e29496e68ba4f0107a35f817a5a1.thumb.jpg.081fcff3ce18447ac13c10f80e1e9860.jpg

Hi there, could you please tell me the name of the rig in the photo? Many thanks

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Why do you need the hook bead?

Isnt the slip d free running up and down

Sorry for the confusion,

Hook bead would be if I just mounted the hook swivel on the shank and didn't use a slip d (just being lazy really trying to keep it quick change) just looking for a good one that doesn't slide up the hook. 

slip d would be free running I am just trying to avoid shrink tube really just makes it more of a faff, I guess the solution to both is a decent kicker, one that keeps the hook at the angle you set it. 

Slip d to me is a supple stripped multi rig, held in place as you say with a kicker.

Can change the hook like this.

I've got one pack in the tackle box with what looks like a mix of fox flippas, korda ones and something else.

The short Fox Flippas seems ok, not used the others much if at all.

40 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Slip d to me is a supple stripped multi rig, held in place as you say with a kicker.

I tie the slip d with a knotless knot like the one on the right but I add a thinking anglers grub kicker(they seem pretty stiff) and a bit of putty about a inch down. I've never tried to tie a combi multi rig / slip d multi rig probably because it's easier to tie plain slip d and TBF all the biggest fish ive caught has been on it snowman style.read-215-01a-1-image-banner.thumb.jpg.ed1c2e4cc9e2a7efc764ffb772c3aea1.jpg

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

slip d would be free running I am just trying to avoid shrink tube really just makes it more of a faff, I guess the solution to both is a decent kicker, one that keeps the hook at the angle you set it. 

I did make a few ronnie slip D's but I used shrink tubing since the kettles always on lol. Not thrown them in the water yet though. 

11 hours ago, Whitstable Jack said:

Hi there, could you please tell me the name of the rig in the photo? Many thanks

I have no pretensions or ideas as to its name. I started playing around ages ago and came up with this to totally confuse the fish on the edge of weed and silt.

Since then I saw John Claridge use something similar in an article and online.

9 hours ago, elmoputney said:

8 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

I've got one pack in the tackle box with what looks like a mix of fox flippas, korda ones and something else.

The short Fox Flippas seems ok, not used the others much if at all.

I don't know if the Gardner Covert Rig kickers and aligners would work for you?

There is also a weighted version for Ronnies.

9 hours ago, elmoputney said:

slip d would be free running I am just trying to avoid shrink tube really just makes it more of a faff,

I have a tendency to do all my rig tying and  shrink tube in one hit.

That might mean tying up 5 or 10 rigs at a time then having that many sat on the spout of the electric kettle...

Going back to @crusian and the original question, I have been through my tackle box and rig bins, and found some pop-up rigs tied on Kamasan B175's, knotless knotted, rig ring tied to the hair and with shrink tube over the eye Bent Hook Rig style.

I had tied them specifically for Chantry Park and Hintlesham Bottom Lake.

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I have no pretensions or ideas as to its name. I started playing around ages ago and came up with this to totally confuse the fish on the edge of weed and silt.

Since then I saw John Claridge use something similar in an article and online.

I don't know if the Gardner Covert Rig kickers and aligners would work for you?

There is also a weighted version for Ronnies.

I have a tendency to do all my rig tying and  shrink tube in one hit.

That might mean tying up 5 or 10 rigs at a time then having that many sat on the spout of the electric kettle...

Going back to @crusian and the original question, I have been through my tackle box and rig bins, and found some pop-up rigs tied on Kamasan B175's, knotless knotted, rig ring tied to the hair and with shrink tube over the eye Bent Hook Rig style.

I had tied them specifically for Chantry Park and Hintlesham Bottom Lake.

Thanks , Nick .

I have to be careful regarding Solar 101's and Kamasan B175's as the waters I fish say I can only use manufactured barbless hooks 😢 .

38 minutes ago, crusian said:

Thanks , Nick .

I have to be careful regarding Solar 101's and Kamasan B175's as the waters I fish say I can only use manufactured barbless hooks 😢 .

Kamasan B170, B400 are barbless, probably in fly anglers section or via flea bay, it's then just a case of looking for a barbless equivalent to the Solar's.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Kamasan B170, B400 are barbless, probably in fly anglers section or via flea bay, it's then just a case of looking for a barbless equivalent to the Solar's.

Thanks very much , Nick .

😃