Helicopter rig in bait boat

35 minutes ago, Gazza81 said:

I use a heli set up, just got myself a bait baot, what i found rather quicky was when taking the boat out the slight tension on the line makes the bead pull right down to the lead. Not ideal.

Anyone found a work around?

To be honest, when I used to use a boat (dinghy) to put rigs out I found that a helicopter rig was not the best option.

Helicopters are fine for casting long distances and in silt, but  indication on them is much reduced. Even with Delkims I've had minimal buzzes at range (over 100metres) that has caused me to lose fish.

At Nazeing Meads I had a spot at around 125metres, that I could reach, and had caught a few that ran away from me. One night I landed a 28lb carp around 2am. Around 4 I had a couple of bleeps, and a couple of twitches on the Quiverlocs, which I (stupidly) ignored. When I reeled in at first light after looking at the line direction which had changed, I discovered that the fish had run around 50yards towards me and arced into a snag. 

The Delks were set as sensitive as possible in windy weather, in fact I would turn sensitivity to maximum and gradually work down until wind bleeps stopped.

I have also read articles on large waters where anglers have put rigs out and in the morning discovered that the rigs have been picked up, moved and ejected yards away from the original spot.

As a result I prefer to use other set-ups, my preference is for a run ring as I don't like lead clips.

3 hours ago, Gazza81 said:

I use a heli set up, just got myself a bait baot, what i found rather quicky was when taking the boat out the slight tension on the line makes the bead pull right down to the lead. Not ideal.

Is it worth sticking a PVA nugget around the bead, not sure if thats gonna solve one issue and cause another tbh, might be worth looking at though

3 hours ago, Gazza81 said:

Ahh another - leave the top bead outside the hopper?

Simplest solution for me would be a magic twig 🤣 only kidding 

If you don't want to use a lead clip (I prefer these in a boat) . You could try using some silicone tubing  (2mm seems to ring a bell as the right size ) between the lead and the bead that should help with your quandary as it will act like a buffer. 

On 11/04/2024 at 15:28, Gazza81 said:

What boat you got?

When I use the bait boat with a heli setup I just stand the lead in the hopper(mine has a little slit in the flap of the rear hopper) and leave the rig hang into the water(problem if you glug your bait.

When I next get the boat out(not used in a while) I am going to put a small magnet on the rear corner, then I can put the hook onto that so when the lead drops it pulls the hook off. Mainly as zigs don't dump out very well, also can use pastes n glugs then if I choose and they won't wash off on the way out out