Clifton lakes Rugby now member only??

ossuss

Ok Hands up, went for a day at Clifton :lol:

Mate who I fish with lives a stones throw and he was going so I thought I'd join him, but when we arrived there are new signs up saying members only (£120/year) except for bank holiday weekends??

Didnt know this was on the cards?? but apparantly the lovely gentelman who runs the place was having a big ruck with somebody at the gate the other day, and then these signs appear?? Does anyone know if this is the case??

Cant see why he's all of a sudden changed it over this argument at the gate, with that guys attitude I bet he gets into arguments with anglers day in day out, so dont know if its related. A few months ago he kicked a mate off who was just passing and dropped in to see us, saying he don't allow spectators as people were stealing the fish, so dont know if this might be the reason for the meber only thing.

Anybody heard anything?

• 2 months later...

Funny i should pick up on your thread. I was thinking about Clifton the other day. I used to fish there years ago, before he made money from letting dirt trucks deposit tons of mud around the lakes at a profit for him. He ruined twin peaks, and the one side of the Serpentine, said he was landscaping it. It just looked a mess in the end. I would be interested in hearing what he is upto now. I guess he's still an unhappy chappy!

• 7 months later...

hi, joined clifton lakes on a weekend membership this year, John the owner was only too quick to offer me a deal on the weekend membership that suited what i wanted! Ahh what a laugh :roll: Because ive been bivving up on saturday night he now wants to charge £10 on top of my membership each time i go. this has realy cheesed me off :evil: the bloke is a joke and changes the rules whenever it suits, this charge of £10 for bivvying up over night is something he's thought of just to get an extra tenner. This was not mentioned when i joined. Which he could of told me on several occasions when i'd bivvied up in the past. ......HENCE...... Yes the man is wrong in sooooooooooo many ways.... but i'll say no more. If you've come across him then you'll know what i mean.

I'd demand my money back if I was you - you cant just add another tenner for nights when you've got a weekend ticket, takes the absolute wee wee!

Or just take it on the chin and dont go back, in which case what a waste of money!

You'd be better off down Beedles - £10 per 24hr, nice swims and a club house. Maybe not enough fish but its a good learning water. :wink:

Hell anywheres better than being fleeced by an ignorant twit - by the sounds of him!

lol, we did a 24hour on the serpentine last bank holiday, and he charged us 20 each, which is not that bad really. John was in a surprisingly good mood!

Sounds just like him trying to squeeze a few more quid out of the members, typically short term money grabbing and not thinking about next years renewal fees. He must be out of pocket since changing it to members and now he's trying to make up for it.

Its a bit of a shame really, because in the right hands with the right investment, clifton could be a fantastic venue in just a few years, for all anglers not just carpers.

Has anyone ever fished the Horseshoe?

Totally different type of place to Beedle's though Kev, it is an out and out runs water really - have you ever fished it? Beedles is definatly a good few steps up the ladder, but got to say I love it there, despite the fact Ive only ever had 1 tench out :roll:

• 3 months later...

Mate i use to run clifton while john was in america.i know better than most what the gits like! we were going to leese the fishery off him until he tried to stich us up.anyway thats by the by i still believe clifton could be made in to one of the finest fisheries in the country given the correct team at the helm.(not mr.daleman)! if you need any info on the lakes i'd be only to happy to help.p.s. know a cracking fisherie thats just opened it's called adercar lane fishery,langley mill,deryshire. tight lines x.

i used to fish at clifton as a kid and it was great fishing then . Me and the old man went down there about 6 weeks ago and i was shocked to see the signs saying members only .

this is a place to go if you`ve blanked for a while. shame the owner sounds like an idiot . I wont be giving him my money

just up from here there is little lane called Newton lane .down here on the left is a place called spring pools .

I dont know whats in there , and its small , but might be worth a dip

Yep iknow spring pools but the trouble with it is it's about 16 foot deep and freezing cold although there are some massive carp in there!If you turn right out of clifton about half a mile up on your left there's a couple of little pools don't know the name but provided a good days sport last time i fished it. tight line x

lol, we did a 24hour on the serpentine last bank holiday, and he charged us 20 each, which is not that bad really. John was in a surprisingly good mood!

Sounds just like him trying to squeeze a few more quid out of the members, typically short term money grabbing and not thinking about next years renewal fees. He must be out of pocket since changing it to members and now he's trying to make up for it.

Its a bit of a shame really, because in the right hands with the right investment, clifton could be a fantastic venue in just a few years, for all anglers not just carpers.

Has anyone ever fished the Horseshoe?

Totally different type of place to Beedle's though Kev, it is an out and out runs water really - have you ever fished it? Beedles is definatly a good few steps up the ladder, but got to say I love it there, despite the fact Ive only ever had 1 tench out :roll:

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
don't want to wind anyone up here butive just been looking at the lake on their web site and to be fair it looks nice but far to small for me, and theres to much room taken up with those two islands :cry:

looks more like a match fishery to me with the way the lakes have been designed

• 7 months later...

hi ive been fishing clifton for over 10 yrs and there can be some really good days and nights there nothing to break any records though but fun all the same the hard to reach swims are best if you want to be left alone by certain people who dont want to get out of there car for long if you know who i mean :D