Daiwa Rods

Hi mates! I'm looking to purchase some new rods. I recently got 3x Daiwa Whisker 12 ft 3 lbs for short to medium work, but I'm also looking at a stiffer set of rods. I am torn between a few choices:

3x Daiwa Longbow DF X45 in 3,5 or 3,75 - has anyone owned these and what is the difference in PVA BAG casting or casting distance as a whole? Is there a big difference generally between the two?
3x Daiwa Infinity DF (non X45) in 3,75. Would these be better in general than the Longbows?

How much does the X45 really help? Is it overhyped? Any experiences are welcome! 

Evening carpio 

The main consideration when looking at stiffer rods is the ability to be able to compress it . All the power comes from the butt section & being able to compress it . I purchased some free spirits H'ive 220's years back , got on fine with them at first , but the more I used them I realised how hard I was having to work to compress them & that then coincided with fishing less & when  i would come to use them it was just hard work . I ended up selling them & buying the softer version . It didn't cost me any distance i was still hitting 160 y but it was a dam site easier getting there! . I would look at the 3.5 unless your a beast of a caster.  

43 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Evening carpio 

The main consideration when looking at stiffer rods is the ability to be able to compress it . All the power comes from the butt section & being able to compress it . I purchased some free spirits H'ive 220's years back , got on fine with them at first , but the more I used them I realised how hard I was having to work to compress them & that then coincided with fishing less & when  i would come to use them it was just hard work . I ended up selling them & buying the softer version . It didn't cost me any distance i was still hitting 160 y but it was a dam site easier getting there! . I would look at the 3.5 unless your a beast of a caster.  

Thanks, mate! That makes sense :) I was thinking the same - I'd probably have to use at least 4-5 oz leads with the 3.75lb rods and that's just not going to be the case over here on 9.5/10 waters. 

1 hour ago, carpio said:

Hi mates! I'm looking to purchase some new rods. I recently got 3x Daiwa Whisker 12 ft 3 lbs for short to medium work, but I'm also looking at a stiffer set of rods. I am torn between a few choices:

3x Daiwa Longbow DF X45 in 3,5 or 3,75 - has anyone owned these and what is the difference in PVA BAG casting or casting distance as a whole? Is there a big difference generally between the two?
3x Daiwa Infinity DF (non X45) in 3,75. Would these be better in general than the Longbows?

How much does the X45 really help? Is it overhyped? Any experiences are welcome! 

Believe it or not, 3lb TC rods should be hitting around 150metres, although it is very much technique.

For years I was fishing 2.75lb TC Century SP's at ranges from the margins to 130metres, and now I'm using 3.25lb TC tods from margins to 160metres. One set of rods.

Any rod, since the advent of carbon in rods, you want around a lead or total casting weight close to 1/2oz above the Test Curve rating in pounds. So a 2.5lb TC rod, 3oz is about right, 3lb, 3.5oz and so on.

Stiffer rods are strictly for casting, definitely not fish playing.

11 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Believe it or not, 3lb TC rods should be hitting around 150metres, although it is very much technique.

For years I was fishing 2.75lb TC Century SP's at ranges from the margins to 130metres, and now I'm using 3.25lb TC tods from margins to 160metres. One set of rods.

To be taken with a pinch of salt imo.

To get 150m (~165 yards) with a 3lb tc rod requires incredible technique. Completely unrealistic for your average angler imo.

51 minutes ago, yonny said:

To be taken with a pinch of salt imo.

To get 150m (~165 yards) with a 3lb tc rod requires incredible technique. Completely unrealistic for your average angler imo.

@yonny

I would not claim to be an above average angler, just one who takes time to practice casting. I've cast measured casts of 125metres with a 2.75lb rod, 15lb line and Shimano Aerlex reels, and 3oz leads.

Admittedly it may have helped being tutored by Roger Mortimer and John Holden, but they just tidied up my 'bad points'.

Most anglers can improve with practice and possibly a bit of tuition. 

The Daiwa Longbow X45's are not low price point rod, nor are the Daiwa Whiskers, which I know in tests have hit over 150 yards at Harleston and Wortwell clubs Ocean Pit.