losing leads

useph

This is supposed to happen your lead,(maybe not on every fish) it could be down to the fish running through weed/snags but i would exspect you to feel this, or even a violent head shack from the carp will free the lead, whatever you do dont push the tail rubber on any harder cus this will make it as bad as a death rig, :wink:

If you want to save money change to inline leads the only way you lose these are if you have a breakage :wink:

when i land a fish my lead is normally gone. can anyone tell me the problem and tell me what to do differently to help prevent this?

If you are losing leads then the Lead clip is working efficiently. As soon as the Fish is picking up the Rig and swimming off the Lead pulls free of the Clip as the Rubber slides up, which is exactly what they are supposed to do.

The Rubber is sliding free and preventing the fish from getting snagged in weed etc.

If you are annoyed at losing leads at minimal contact with the Lead clips, then switch to the Carp-R-Us Lead Clips, they have a 3 stage Clip for changes in tension of your choice.

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS WITH THESE FIRST, as they are not a standard Line clip.

Cost!!!!!!

What is going to be consequences of dumping all that lead in the lake????

But oh, sorry I forgot for a minute, these days it’s ‘hook um, haul um, and get the photo’, catch them by any means and to hell with the consequences!

Good grief, I despair!!!!

Mickt..

Cost!!!!!!

Mickt..

There will be no consequences at all.

Lead is stable in water, it wont pollute it unless you add other chemicals to the water so that the lead can be chemically broken down.

People only started suffering from lead poisoning from drinking water once the water companys started adding chlorine and fluoride to our drinking water which in turn made lead pipes chemically unstable.

The only way leads could be a danger is if any wildlife was to ingest some, but I cant see many ducks eating the size leads most modern carp anglers use.

Cost!!!!!!

Mickt..

Lead is stable in water, it wont pollute it unless you add other chemicals to the water so that the lead can be chemically broken down.

People only started suffering from lead poisoning from drinking water once the water companys started adding chlorine and fluoride to our drinking water which in turn made lead pipes chemically unstable.

The only way leads could be a danger is if any wildlife was to ingest some, but I cant see many ducks eating the size leads most modern carp anglers use.

well said

Let’s hope no tap water gets into any of these lakes then or anything thing else that may react with lead, but then that will never happen will it?

I think you will find that there are moves afoot to completely ban the use of lead in fishing, (across the EC). So some others must think it’s a bad idea, not only me.

However I will definitely not deliberately or willingly add, to what by the sound of it must be veritable mountains of lead, in the places that I fish. Whether it’s ‘safe’ or not, despite that fact that I can afford it!

Mickt..

Let’s hope no tap water gets into any of these lakes then or anything thing else that may react with lead, but then that will never happen will it?

I think you will find that there are moves afoot to completely ban the use of lead in fishing, (across the EC). So some others must think it’s a bad idea, not only me.

However I will definitely not deliberately or willingly add, to what by the sound of it must be veritable mountains of lead, in the places that I fish. Whether it’s ‘safe’ or not, despite that fact that I can afford it!

Mickt..

Well if by chance a lake was being feed by fresh tap water then the fish and other wildlife would be dead from the effects of chlorine and other chemicals long before any lead poisoning could even start to have an effect.

The rare occations i use a semi-fix lead, personally i would much rather loose a few leads and know that if i ever loose my end gear for what ever reason, then there would be good chance the lead will eject and in turn lessen the chances of tethering a fish.

i didn't put this thread on for people to blabber on about the effects of leads i just wanted to know what to do about my problem. :shock::lol:

666carpcatcher and salokcinnodrog, both gave you perfectly good and succinct answers to solve your problem.

This is supposed to happen your lead,(maybe not on every fish) it could be down to the fish running through weed/snags but i would exspect you to feel this, or even a violent head shack from the carp will free the lead, whatever you do dont push the tail rubber on any harder cus this will make it as bad as a death rig, :wink:

If you want to save money change to inline leads the only way you lose these are if you have a breakage :wink:

when i land a fish my lead is normally gone. can anyone tell me the problem and tell me what to do differently to help prevent this?

If you are losing leads then the Lead clip is working efficiently. As soon as the Fish is picking up the Rig and swimming off the Lead pulls free of the Clip as the Rubber slides up, which is exactly what they are supposed to do.

The Rubber is sliding free and preventing the fish from getting snagged in weed etc.

If you are annoyed at losing leads at minimal contact with the Lead clips, then switch to the Carp-R-Us Lead Clips, they have a 3 stage Clip for changes in tension of your choice.

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS WITH THESE FIRST, as they are not a standard Line clip.

Unless you're fishing a really weedy water where you need to jetison the lead to be in direct contact with the fish,is there any real need for you to use lead clips.I know everyman and his dog uses them in the magazines but fishing in open water you'd be better off fishing a running lead which is far more sensitive if it is fished with a slack line.The clips are only meant to "lose" the lead on becoming snagged in thick weed or lily pads not in open water so I suggest you're using them wrong.

May I suggest testing your rig before putting it into the water to see how much pressure is required to release the lead.This should be standard practise IMO and something I always do no matter what set up I'm using.

i fish a really snaggy water atm, but i am one for using teh saftey lead system to its full desgin, hence i brought my self some molds and all the stuff to make my own, i'll tell u what tho it does pay for its self very quickly!

cyprinus_carpio, surprisingly and very sadly my estimation of you has dropped considerably as a result of the above!

Unless my ability to decipher text talk and your strange ‘new use of the English language’ has lead me to misunderstand the point you were making?

Cost!!!!!!

Mickt..

well said

levigsp, I think not!!

This,

i didn't put this thread on for people to blabber on about the effects of leads i just wanted to know what to do about my problem. :shock::lol:

And?

I think that talking about losing leads and the possible environmental issue is relevant.

And very defiantly this,

Unless you're fishing a really weedy water where you need to jetison the lead to be in direct contact with the fish,is there any real need for you to use lead clips.I know everyman and his dog uses them in the magazines but fishing in open water you'd be better off fishing a running lead which is far more sensitive if it is fished with a slack line.The clips are only meant to "lose" the lead on becoming snagged in thick weed or lily pads not in open water so I suggest you're using them wrong.

May I suggest testing your rig before putting it into the water to see how much pressure is required to release the lead.This should be standard practise IMO and something I always do no matter what set up I'm using.

Were well said!

gidneyboy, I will respond to your last post in due course.

mickt..

Of course the lead is dangerous to the water! If the pH-value drops much enough, the lead will dissolve and the lead will become poisonous oxide, which is extremely letal to fishes. Also aluminium is extremely posionous to the fishes gills in low pH waters.

Just because the water has a stable pH it doesnt meant that the lead is not dangerous. The other way around I would say.

I would tighten the rubber cone over the clip, so that t loosen only when the fish get snagged, and not on every take.

I take it that you use safety clip? If so, check that the rubber you use to cover the clip fits proper. And not too loose.
but not to tight otherwise a fish could end up trailing it around. better to lose a lead than risk a fish. a lot of anglers fit the rubbers loose to purpously (spelling) lose leads when they have a fish on

Mickt..

so are you saying you would rather end up with a carp dragging your rig AND lead around and end up getting snagged and dying. which is exactly what would happen

I take it that you use safety clip? If so, check that the rubber you use to cover the clip fits proper. And not too loose.
but not to tight otherwise a fish could end up trailing it around. better to lose a lead than risk a fish. a lot of anglers fit the rubbers loose to purpously (spelling) lose leads when they have a fish on

of course, otherwise it is no point having safety clip at all.

I think the lead should sit strong enough not to loose when playing carp in a normal matter, but loose enough to be able to shake loose when snagged.

cyprinus_carpio, surprisingly and very sadly my estimation of you has dropped considerably as a result of the above!

Unless my ability to decipher text talk and your strange ‘new use of the English language’ has lead me to misunderstand the point you were making?

sorry mate, i tend to get words/letters mixed up, have done all my life,

what i was trying to say was it has paid off, me getting a set of lead molds, as i lose leads almost every fish too. so the mold would pay for its self very quickly, instead of buying new leads.

Of course the lead is dangerous to the water! If the pH-value drops much enough, the lead will dissolve and the lead will become poisonous oxide, which is extremely letal to fishes. Also aluminium is extremely posionous to the fishes gills in low pH waters.

Just because the water has a stable pH it doesnt meant that the lead is not dangerous. The other way around I would say.

I would tighten the rubber cone over the clip, so that t loosen only when the fish get snagged, and not on every take.

Could you please think about your statement after reading this.

The PH would have to drop to a leval that is more dangerous to the fish than the lead.

The lead would become an,nitride/sulphide ect not oxide.

Approx 33% of all lakes and pits dug in the uk have huge amounts of lead already in them,exposed by the mineing of stone/ballast ect,without any ill health in fish ect.

I studid the effects of lead in our waterways for both the BFSS and BASC when the goverment put up its draft paper on a lead ban for shooting.

I believe I Know the effects.