Mono rigs , pva

Mattn750

I'm about to start fishing a lake that doesn't allow braid and it's got a lot of debris and weedy bed. Wanted to use a PVA bag. Could I use mono for the hooklink? Because most PVA rigs are supple braid.

What about a small chod rig on a ring swivel in a PVA bag?

Thanks

Edited by Mattn750

19 minutes ago, Mattn750 said:

Wanted to use a PVA bag. Could I use mono for the hooklink?

You could but it'll likely get a bit kinked. I'd avoid it.

20 minutes ago, Mattn750 said:

Nah, the bag would drag the chod down into the weed/debris. You really want a chod resting as gently as possible on top of any debris.

You might be better off applying your freebies using a different method (spod, stick, catty etc).

40 minutes ago, Mattn750 said:

I'm about to start fishing a lake that doesn't allow braid and it's got a lot of debris and weedy bed. Wanted to use a PVA bag. Could I use mono for the hooklink? Because most PVA rigs are supple braid.

Thanks

You might find it's a main line braid ban not hooklinks.  Can't remember seeing anywhere banning braid as hook lengths - seems a bit odd tbh

I think that Kev is on the right track, very seldom is braid banned as a hooklength. If it is, make a small hole at the bottom of the bag and thread the hooklink through, make the bag as per usual with the lead against the hole and then nick the hook back into the bag. (Whip the hole with a bit of PVA tape if it lets bait through.) By doing that, you have all the advantages and it should be tangle free and straighten as soon as the bag bursts.

1 hour ago, Mattn750 said:

Thanks for the replys, unfortunately I have not read the rules incorrectly.

Screenshot_20210719-184645.png

Silly Club rules - I feel your pain 

You could fish Heli style, put the lead in the bag but have the link starting above and outside the bag, you can still hook into the outside of the bag to cover the point and your hook link can be kept straight between the bottom bead and bag.  Not sure that's described very well without a picture?

Most Committees are run by old farts who don't have a clue!

My local club are run by such a fine body of men. A couple of times I've attended an AGM with the intention of "putting something back" into the sport, both times I've left shaking my head in disbelief at what I'd witnessed. The proceedings were conducted with the efficiency of the Kremlin and it was a real old boy's network. Any suggestions from the floor were treated with disdain!

Another local club that sells day tickets has a long list of silly rules. Despite other waters nearby being busy and theirs is always quiet, I've voted with my feet and given it a miss.

24 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

Just checked out the club. They have 2 waters. A match lake of 0.75 acres with 17 swims and the main lake at a whopping 1.25 acres with 24 pegs! I hope the members are friendly because you'll be sitting very close to them!

Yeah the swims are tight but I don't think it gets very busy ( suprise). Im using it whilst I'm on a waiting list for another lake. The lake it's dyed blue at the moment as they have some weed issues so was trying to decide the best approach for it.

11 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Silly Club rules - I feel your pain 

You could fish Heli style, put the lead in the bag but have the link starting above and outside the bag, you can still hook into the outside of the bag to cover the point and your hook link can be kept straight between the bottom bead and bag.  Not sure that's described very well without a picture?

I think I get what you mean, would a stiff hinged rig be a good idea here? Or would it push away from the goodies 🤔 if it's hooked into the bag it should just sit on top right?

3 hours ago, Mattn750 said:

I think I get what you mean, would a stiff hinged rig be a good idea here? Or would it push away from the goodies 🤔 if it's hooked into the bag it should just sit on top right?

The heli set-up should be OK with either stiff or subtle.

The only problem I see is if you want to chuck the bag straight in the weed, then you might need the hook link completely inside the bag.  For a couple of years I often used the long bags from ESP because I was using coated braid and didn't want the rig curled round in the bag, they are long enough to fit the lot in straight just depends how far out you're fishing coz they make a weighty parcel to chuck out.  Think they were about 2in x 8in, should still be available.  Thinking back it was a very successful method, I had a great summer and a PB mirror.  

9 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

The heli set-up should be OK with either stiff or subtle.

The only problem I see is if you want to chuck the bag straight in the weed, then you might need the hook link completely inside the bag.  For a couple of years I often used the long bags from ESP because I was using coated braid and didn't want the rig curled round in the bag, they are long enough to fit the lot in straight just depends how far out you're fishing coz they make a weighty parcel to chuck out.  Think they were about 2in x 8in, should still be available.  Thinking back it was a very successful method, I had a great summer and a PB mirror.  

A very good method I use myself, although different bag supplier. I'll have to check which bags I use, got them on a trip to Gladwell's and they are currently hidden in my car... 

You could seal a bag or mesh around the lead, either on a run ring/lead clip or helicopter set-up

Only problem with hooking onto the outside of the bag is the impact can rip a hook free from it as it hits the lake surface.