The revolutionary bald rig.

carpepecheur

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

I'm not knocking you at all, don't get that impression -

Not at all - I never got that impression. All new idea benefit from serious scrutiny. I am hoping to benefit from the ideas of others.

9 minutes ago, dalej2014 said:

This is an interesting concept; i wonder if it will "catch on"!? (sorry, couldn't resist the pun!).

On a serious note do you think a small piece of cork on the bottom shank of the hook would help lift it and catch more? May be especially effective with a bottom bait or wafter, as the hook will fly up quicker? Just an idea/observation. I may have to test this rig, just out of curiosity! 

Yes I understand your thinking. Personally I would make the baits as nearly neutrally buoyant as possible. I do this by cutting a bottom boilie and a pop up in half and then threading the two together with the pop up half on top. If you then add more buoyancy at the hook end it could float up spoiling the action of the rig. However, i will have to test that in the tank.  

I had a little play the other weekend. No fish, but it was slow due to poor water quality. 

Something that looks so simple is actually tricky to get right. I had to tie a few before I was happy to put it out. 

What knot do you use to tie the hook carpepecheur?

I don't often use Palomar knots, and didn't like the way it presented, so ended up with a queen blood knot. 

I used a wafter as referenced above, but found it moved along the hooklink upon return. So tied a figure of eight knot to help keep it in position. 

I will persevere with it on one rod next time out. (whenever that may be🙄

14 hours ago, commonly said:

I had a little play the other weekend. No fish, but it was slow due to poor water quality. 

Something that looks so simple is actually tricky to get right. I had to tie a few before I was happy to put it out. 

What knot do you use to tie the hook carpepecheur?

I don't often use Palomar knots, and didn't like the way it presented, so ended up with a queen blood knot. 

I used a wafter as referenced above, but found it moved along the hooklink upon return. So tied a figure of eight knot to help keep it in position. 

I will persevere with it on one rod next time out. (whenever that may be🙄

I totally agree with the approach of testing the rig against another that you have confidence in.  I am extremely lucky in that I have sole access to a locked, disused gravel pit where I can guarantee a few low doubles in a short day session. That is how I gradually built up the confidence in the rig.

The rig I described in the post is the most basic form but there are a large number of variations I have tried. Slipping on the line is one problem. Firstly, I rarely cast out if I am using a ledger style set up. I always use a bait boat even if I am only fishing a pub chuck away. If that is not possible I put my rig in a PVA bag to be sure that the presentation is not compromised when I do cast.

However, you can put a float stop either side of the boilie to hold it in place. I more often than not use a floating plastic maize to stop the boilie slipping up the line (and also to help it sit on the bottom nicely). Another thing I have done is, when tying the hook, instead of trimming off the line left hanging, is to use it to tie a series of overhand knots up the line so you have a very long and ugly looking knot to the hook, then I jam the boilie over that knot.

The question I find most difficult to answer is what type of knot to use. My original approach was to try and get the hook to push away from the boilie as it turns. I used a spade end knot tied to the shank of a hook passing through an out turned eye. The last cm or two was a coated braid stripped back to the flexible braid for the rest of the link. The problem with this is the direction the hook points, as it rotates, depends on the tension in the braid. I wanted the hook to rotate with the hook always pointing forward to find a good hook hold and this method did not give me control over that.

My knot skills are very limited so I am not sure what is the best to use but it needs to connect to the eye in a loop. I use a tucked half-blood knot which is not pulled tight to the eye but stops in a loop. It is then locked by tying another tucked half-blood above it. This makes a very flexible connection between hook and line. I then tie a piece of thread onto the bend of the hook. The idea is that, as the hooks swings through its arc, that piece of line puts a slight drag on the back of the hook and turns the hook so that it is always leading with the point. I have taken a photo to try and demonstrate what I mean.

Although I said that the rig was incredibly simple, it has had a lot of thought put into it.

1184018671_baldhook.thumb.jpg.28502983de9699adab369e4fb4df5d4d.jpg

4 hours ago, carpepecheur said:

The idea is that, as the hooks swings through its arc, that piece of line puts a slight drag on the back of the hook and turns the hook so that it is always leading with the point.

That's clever thinking mate. I like it.