Slack or tight

4 hours ago, Stephenm77 said:

can anyone help , do I fish heli rig slack or tight line 

Personally I think helicopter rigs should be fished with a tight line. 

Helicopter rigs have indication problems anyway, so you need the line as tight as possible to get best indication at the rod end. The fish have a lot of area that they can use to eject the hook in! 

At around 100metres with a helicopter set-up I have had fish move, with a tight line, 30metres for 1 bleep, and no movement on my hanger. 

You also need a stop up the line to stop the rig totally free movement. 

The only exception to a tight line is at short range, which kind of defeats the object

I’m a big fan of the helicopter rig and use it almost exclusively, I usually fish tight lines and pin the line down behind the tubing or leader (dependant on venues and their rules on leadcore/leaders) with the smallest flying backlead that I can get away with. Despite the craze for slack lines, seemingly at all ranges, I never felt that confident with bite detection, on my waters, it’s all marginal work, casting up to 80/90yrds to far margin hotspots, (at these ranges, no flying backlead) a lot of bites (maybe 6-7/10) are full on drop backs as the hooked carp bolts off the marginal shelf into deep water, so they’re heading back towards me, and I don’t think slack lines would show up these bites so positively. If I’m fishing right under the tips with the rigs tight to the near margin, then I would consider slack lines, but to be honest, I’d usually fish them with a flying backlead and allow the mono a few minutes to sink and settle before gently tightening up to the backlead, then use the smallest lightest bobbin I have.