BOILIES!!

Sparky1964

why do some lakes have Boilie bans. Back in the 80’s the only places I knew of that banned them were uninformed fisheries. nowadays there’s a wealth of scientific info regarding what the fish need and what goes into boilies, so surely for the benefit of the fish they should be allowed

Most lakes that I've seen ban boilies tend to be match orientated and they ban them to discourage carp anglers. Years ago some shelf life boilies didn't break down and there was a problem of mounds of uneaten stuff but most manufacturers have reduced the amount of preservatives in them and the frozen versus shelf life argument seems to be a thing of the past.   

As GP sad because they can't ban the carp angler as a person sort of thing so they don't allow boilies which removes the sort of carp angler they don't want on the water most of them are day ticket pleasure venues can't blame them if that's the case.  they are ok with paste and pellets though and any hook bait so that's an option the same as boilies if someone really wanted to visit a bolie ban venue. 

7 hours ago, Sparky1964 said:

why do some lakes have Boilie bans. Back in the 80’s the only places I knew of that banned them were uninformed fisheries. nowadays there’s a wealth of scientific info regarding what the fish need and what goes into boilies, so surely for the benefit of the fish they should be allowed

As has been said, mostly waters that are match angler orientated, not wanting carp anglers.

To be honest, it is not a problem, boilies are often inefficient, they catch less fish than most other baits. Sweetcorn, luncheon meat, pellets, paste, various particles all catch carp as well as other species. 

A water not far from me has always had a boilie and floating bait ban, hence the banks aren’t very crowded and you have free reign to be able to move about. The owners wanted a pleasure water where anglers could come and not see swim after swim packed with little green domes. They are only small venues, quite intimate. Pellets or meat in the margins will produce some lovely carp. I actually don’t mind the fact boilies are banned, it gives me a chance to refine other baits and methods which in many cases, I’ve neglected for years. I mean, I have probably fished luncheon meat maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 15yrs? Yet it was my go to bait as a kid. 

1 hour ago, framey said:

yet I have never caught a carp or any other fish on sweetcorn

I used to fish for barbel in a shallow streamy stretch of river and I could watch them at close quarters ripping up the bottom to get to it and the hemp I used. The chub loved it even more. One angler told me he watched fish eat it, poo it out, turn around and eat it again because they loved it so much!

1 hour ago, Sparky1964 said:

The question wasn’t really about if boilies are the best bait, I just wondered why some fisheries ban them if they’re nutritionally good for fish

To be honest the questions might interlink. 

I know a number of match type waters ban 'successful' baits, be it pellet, boilie because 'such and such' won loads of matches doing his thing with that bait. 

As also mentioned it does serve to keep carp anglers off the lakes, which may be the biggest advantage of the bait ban, but without outright banning carp anglers.

Most boilies now are nutritionally good, not all, but most. 

You could quite easily make up a boilie base mix, but use it as paste instead of boiling it. That way you have the nutrition and increased attraction. Mould it around a couple of grains of sweetcorn, Cork ball (use putty to weight it and create a pop-up), or even straight on the hook. 

• 1 month later...
On 06/04/2021 at 12:04, Sparky1964 said:

Before boilies we used cat food mixed with ground bait into a paste, it was deadly :)

trying to keep carp anglers off wasn’t something I’d thought of but I get that 

There is a lake near me that although it does not ban boilies, fishes best to other baits; bread, hooker pellets, sweetcorn, luncheon meat, and worms all produce more fish than boilies, with carp to double figures caught on those baits. 

Floating baits also have their day, floating bread and dog biscuits producing numbers of fish. 

The only reason to use boilies on there to be honest is to try to avoid the skimmers and roach, but if you fish The Method with boilies you will catch them anyway. 

Fish just off the (hard) shelf or you might get crayed.