Sell By Dates ?

B B

Just been checking my tubs of hook baits and noticed no sell by dates  , I haven’t got many and there’s not a lot in them but decided to bin the contents. The ground baits I used has sell by dates. Wondering why they haven’t got the dates on the tubs  🤔

6 hours ago, Big Bass said:

Just been checking my tubs of hook baits and noticed no sell by dates  , I haven’t got many and there’s not a lot in them but decided to bin the contents. The ground baits I used has sell by dates. Wondering why they haven’t got the dates on the tubs  🤔

You will notice the smell reduces over time, so may not be as effective as new. 

Whether you keep them or not is down to you. 

Pellets, groundbait even boilies have a shelf life, including freezer baits. The oils in pellets and groundbait go rancid and can become repellant (even toxic) rather than an attractor. 

Anything you put in your freezer, is recommended to be used within a year. 

I agree Nick the baits you mention have a shelf life and to just use common sense, but the tubs of pop ups has no written date who knows how long they been on the tackle shop shelf, especially now with some tackle shops closed, then we buy them and keep them for “years”taking them to the bank on hot sunny days  

Framey I think the modern hook baits are more than Lures they give out food signals, and it’s the food signals I worry about maybe going off and us not detecting it...or it could be that I’m overthinking it lol... but I’m happy to bin them and feel confident with a new batch.

0D5ED544-7F3F-4F24-958F-F2E85604AE75.jpeg

18 hours ago, Big Bass said:

You won’t find many if any with a sell by date I only know of 1 and that would only be a self blog so don’t count