Line for Fox EOS 10000FD

Thank you all for your replies - really helpful for my decision!

I think the quality, size, future proofing and value for money the Fox EOS 10000FD are unrivalled.

Now it’s finding what 12lb line to go for. I feel like most will be of a similar quality and it’s mainly personal preference. Any recommendations of course. 😊

I’ve got 12lb diawa hypersensor on my 12000 reels, it’s thin diameter makes it a great distance and open water or snag free water line and I’ve used it for about 8months with only one cut off, but I’d be wary of using it around snags/bars etc, I’d want proper rope on for snag fishing, running over gravel bars or hit and hold situations. I’ve had this line cut off on a gravel shelf once before, the 15lb big game and shimano technium I used before didn’t have this problem bringing fish over the same gravel shelf. 

7 hours ago, CarpingCraig said:

Thank you all for your replies - really helpful for my decision!

I think the quality, size, future proofing and value for money the Fox EOS 10000FD are unrivalled.

Now it’s finding what 12lb line to go for. I feel like most will be of a similar quality and it’s mainly personal preference. Any recommendations of course. 😊

Loads of different answers on line, and as Ouch has pointed out, 'different strokes for different folks'. 

I have used and tested various lines over 35years fishing (really😳), and found some good lines, some awful lines that I couldn't get on with yet others liked, and others I know are overrated by angler's and manufacturers alike. 

Now personally I pretty much stick to 2 lines; Gardner Pro in light or dark, dependant on water clarity, P-Line Fluroclear which is a fluorocarbon coated line. 

https://www.tacklebox.co.uk/tackle-box-line-test.html

Download this guide and have a look, I like Gardner hydrotuff personally, it will handle everything,you throw at it, 

Korda carp line is a good budget line also

I am going to give the p line fluroclear a try this year also, I haven't spooled it up yet does look a nice line on the spool though 👍

Gardner GTHD is a decent line, started with this when I started out, its a copolymer line, get more on spool, I think is fluorocarbon coated. Maybe thinking go back to this.. 

ESP synchro, Korda Carp line, Daiwa Hyper Sensor, berkley connect, Fox exoxet..... 

Edited by Highy

Mentioned this one about hook sharpening before but the bit about line at the beginning is equally compelling. I've tended to go for the lightest I could safely get away with in the past but upon watching this, he has turned my thinking on it's head. Lines are effectively just a piece of extruded plastic and when you accept that, it does make you think about them differently. He recommends using a minimum diameter of 0.4mm which is in the 18lb b.s. bracket for most lines and might seem a bit OTT but a slight nick or bad knot can slash that considerably and so it gives you a safety margin. Thicker line also sinks far better. "Proper rope for proper Carp" to quote one high profile angler. Unless you really  need to go long distances regularly, I would suggest that upping the diameter will bring more advantages than a thinner line. 

15 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

Mentioned this one about hook sharpening before but the bit about line at the beginning is equally compelling. I've tended to go for the lightest I could safely get away with in the past but upon watching this, he has turned my thinking on it's head. Lines are effectively just a piece of extruded plastic and when you accept that, it does make you think about them differently. He recommends using a minimum diameter of 0.4mm which is in the 18lb b.s. bracket for most lines and might seem a bit OTT but a slight nick or bad knot can slash that considerably and so it gives you a safety margin. Thicker line also sinks far better. "Proper rope for proper Carp" to quote one high profile angler. Unless you really  need to go long distances regularly, I would suggest that upping the diameter will bring more advantages than a thinner line. 

If you want a line that doesn't break try 15lb hydrotuff 👍I've had it stuck up trees, deep into pads when I've forgotten to clip up, and I've always got the rig back 😂

Closest thing to elmo proof I've found 😳

Edited by elmoputney

I found the Nash bullet was really tough, I had to use it in 20lb strength as it was a minimum line strength rule as it had big cats stocked. It was proper rope, I damn near killed myself when I pulled for a break and the lead came wanging out of the tree like a rocket and hit the tree trunk just beside me. Took some effort to pull the lead out, shook me up a bit! 

22 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

I'm not sure about all of Adam Penning's argument. Like you I've used various lines back to 6 or 8lb line for 20lb fish over the years. I've landed carp on 12lb through lilies, and 15lb line from snags. 

To some extent I think thicker heavier breaking stain lines encourage people to fish sometimes where they shouldn't. 

If you tie a bad knot, learn to tie a good one, check it, test it, something I do regularly. 

It seems to be a mix of thinking between pike and carp fishing. Pike fishing you CANNOT have any tackle breakage, a baited trace picked up, or a broken line is a dead pike. Whereas carp fishing, the carp can eject hooks even when well hooked. If they break tackle they must not have any 'extras' like leads or leaders to snag up as it becomes a death rig.