Daiwa 18 Emblem Spod 35 SCW QD

Maybe a bit of a long shot on here, but does anyone use these as standard carp reels? I'm looking for something with a silly retrieve and these seem to fit the bill. Are they reasonably usable?

Struggling to find spare spools in the UK. Does anyone know if they take the standard Emblem S35 SCW 5000C QD spools?

Was thinking about converting the old Emblem Spod but just seen these.

4 minutes ago, yonny said:

Maybe a bit of a long shot on here, but does anyone use these as standard carp reels? I'm looking for something with a silly retrieve and these seem to fit the bill. Are they reasonably usable?

Struggling to find spare spools in the UK. Does anyone know if they take the standard Emblem S35 SCW 5000C QD spools?

Was thinking about converting the old Emblem Spod but just seen these.

What about the emblem pro's? They look the same as the emblem spod, not sure what the retrieval rate is though.Β 

11 minutes ago, emmcee said:

What about the emblem pro's?

I'm told it's the same reel with a different spool so am considering them too mate. Gearing/retrieval is the same. You can get the spod spools for 35 quid too which is chips nowadays. Thing is the Pro's go for 100 each second hand so there'd not be much difference in buying something new.

A lot of people seem to rate the 45scw, from what I can gather, I spent a good long while looking into them lol,never bought them yet though 😁

the 35 just means it is a 35mm spool length rather than a 45mm I think, the 45mm spod reel has a 118cm per turn retrieve,Β 

124cm per turn, is pretty big though not noticed anything that big before the latest emblem spod is 122cm per turn? Is that what yours is? If so every 15 turns is an extra shatterproof ruler πŸ“πŸ˜³

Β 

Β 

Yeah the Emblem spod and pro are 122.

I didn't realise they did a 45 spod (do you have a link?). The 45 SCW QDΒ I saw had 104. If you're talking about theΒ Crosscast I'd rather avoid the budget models tbh.

The 35 SCW QD spod is the one with 124 which is monstrous.

They'll be used in place of a set of SS3000's so I'll get a huge improvement either way. I just need something that will make chucking/retrieving long easier.

14 minutes ago, yonny said:

Yeah the Emblem spod and pro are 122.

I didn't realise they did a 45 spod (do you have a link?). The 45 SCW QDΒ I saw had 104. If you're talking about theΒ Crosscast I'd rather avoid the budget models tbh.

The 35 SCW QD spod is the one with 124 which is monstrous.

They'll be used in place of a set of SS3000's so I'll get a huge improvement either way. I just need something that will make chucking/retrieving long easier.

I think it was a crosscast spod in 45 actually my mistake, 😳

So are you thinking of using spod reels as normal reels? I thought you meant for spodding, would be labour saving though πŸ‘

In theory you could add 45mm spools to the 35mm reels if they are the same size, but im not sure that would be cost effective as you would probably have to change other bits or you may lose the massive 124cm per turn retrieve πŸ€”

Β 

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Yes mate. It's the monster retrieve I'm after.

Makes sense I suppose, I think the proper emblem spod reels look nicer though and has a folding handle, I find non folding handles slightly annoying when it comes to packing up, so what you save in retrieve you lose in pack Down πŸ˜‚ probably more options for customising too πŸ‘

Why are diawa reels soo expensive second hand BTW, you used to be able to get the black emblems for about Β£70 new a couple of years ago, I think second hand they are always over 300 for a set, I'd love a set of old school emblems, I remember this old boy had a set of gold ones when fishing at Emberton Park in the olden days I thought he was the biz, he was using partiblend too πŸ˜‚Β 

4 hours ago, yonny said:

I'm told it's the same reel with a different spool so am considering them too mate. Gearing/retrieval is the same. You can get the spod spools for 35 quid too which is chips nowadays. Thing is the Pro's go for 100 each second hand so there'd not be much difference in buying something new.

I had 4 emblem pros and sold them for 60 quid each. I kick myself every day, so wish I had kept them Haha.Β 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Makes sense I suppose, I think the proper emblem spod reels look nicer though and has a folding handle, I find non folding handles slightly annoying when it comes to packing up, so what you save in retrieve you lose in pack Down πŸ˜‚ probably more options for customising too πŸ‘

Why are diawa reels soo expensive second hand BTW, you used to be able to get the black emblems for about Β£70 new a couple of years ago, I think second hand they are always over 300 for a set, I'd love a set of old school emblems, I remember this old boy had a set of gold ones when fishing at Emberton Park in the olden days I thought he was the biz, he was using partiblend too πŸ˜‚Β 

You used the 2 magic words that make the moneyΒ 

old and school lol