Silt observation

Carpmaster

The lake I’m fishing has this light silt like sandy clay soft mud what I’ve noticed with the fishspy is it’s that soft that even a 1 1/2 oz lead buries and if you pull back slightly it furrows like a ploughed field the hard spots are rocks of varing  sizes 
would the old spoon leads be of use I’m wondering does anyone know if they’re still available besides making them myself 

This place I’m fishing is like no other water I’ve fished. Usual carp behaviour is out the window on this place you may glimps a fin or a bubbler if your looking they don’t really follow the wind and if they do they don’t stay on it,there are fish here that have never come out since they were stocked it’s like a whole new learning curve lol that’s without nothing coming out an it still being filled in with bait boats 

That’s just it it’s not invisible it’s a crater so blatant and visible it’s unreal and these fish ain’t stupid this place as I’ve said is not like any water I’ve fished before the carp rule book don’t exist on this place lol what you think they’re supposed to do -do the opposite lol and your not far wrong lol 

It sounds like a challenge mate and ultimately that's what we're after as carp anglers. Carp are wild creatures and for every water where they behave how we think they should there is another that goes against the grain. I personally prefer those types of waters as they test our skills and our resilience. It is waters such as this that reward those that try the hardest.

The carp will tell you exactly how to catch them if you look hard enough mate. There is always a ***** in there armour somewhere.

I’m exactly the same as you yonny that’s why I’m fishing this place I love a challenge I’m up there tomorrow for the day see if I can put another piece of the puzzle in place 

I’ve been privalaged to see a few pics of some of the fish and there are some crackers in there I’ve also been talking to a few and one fella has been fishing this place 5yrs regular and has his first carp a few weeks ago

1 hour ago, Carpmaster said:

That’s just it it’s not invisible it’s a crater so blatant and visible it’s unreal and these fish ain’t stupid this place as I’ve said is not like any water I’ve fished before the carp rule book don’t exist on this place lol what you think they’re supposed to do -do the opposite lol and your not far wrong lol 

Use a dumpy distance lead on a helicopter set up, use a chod bead and set it a bit higher up the line/leader so just the rig settles on the top of the silt but the lead gets plugged right in and just use a longish wafter rig with a mesh bag to slow it and that would work a treat I think, 👍🤔😁

20 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

Your going to laugh at me now lol I don’t use a helicopter set up or chose rig as every man and his dog is using them I try to not be a sheep lol 

ive been thinking of the old spoon leads if they’re still available 

I was just offering you some advice on what I think might work 

I will go back to my pen 🐑

Just now, Carpmaster said:

I wasn’t being funny Elmo it is a good suggestion it’s just me I try not to follow everyone else and the chod  rig is used to death up this place because of the weed I’m just trying to be different to everyone else elmo

I didn't suggest a chod rig though, I don't use them either or helicopters usually but there are some situations where they will work better than other set ups, this being one maybe,

and I bet most people will also be using pop ups hence me suggesting a longish wafter rig on a helicopter 🚁

2 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

I’ve been told all sorts but don’t listen to anyone I always go my own road I’m just trying to be different to everyone and the usual methods that’s why I was thinking of spoon leads as I can’t see them burying because of the shape 

I tend to do my own thing but information is worth hearing even if you just discount it afterwards, or just to do the opposite, personally I wouldn't worry about the lead burying, out of sight out of mind, also I bet the craters fill back in eventually as the undertow pushes the silt abiut it will settle in the hole until its level again 

5 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

I’ve even thought of the method feeder but have stayed away because of the bream

Its worth a try they catch carp too 

For fishing in soft silt I still use a lead clip but use an uncoated, soft braided hooklink. I almost always attach a pva bag of crushed boilie-adds attraction, prevents tangles and slows down hookbait decent into the silt. Never pull back!

Edited by Pete Springate's Guns