New question

Carpmaster

I've been losing carp to weed etc which isn't good I'm changing to 30lb braid I've been using inline pear leads rig as normal out the front losing on a take but still able to retrieve if no run    now what I've been thing about I've not put one out yet thought I'd see what you guys thought first     3 1/2 distance lead with the hooklink off the leader on the lead  I'm using a 40lb boom with inch of supple braid at hook end    because the hooklink is fixed off the side of the lead till a shake or movement the lead will drop  and theres no beads etc the hooklink will come off the leader  can you see any problem 

14 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

I've been losing carp to weed etc which isn't good I'm changing to 30lb braid I've been using inline pear leads rig as normal out the front losing on a take but still able to retrieve if no run    now what I've been thing about I've not put one out yet thought I'd see what you guys thought first     3 1/2 distance lead with the hooklink off the leader on the lead  I'm using a 40lb boom with inch of supple braid at hook end    because the hooklink is fixed off the side of the lead till a shake or movement the lead will drop  and theres no beads etc the hooklink will come off the leader  can you see any problem 

I think I need to see a pic to completely understand what you are thinking, I don't like the sound of the hooklink being fixed off the side of the lead though, but I could be misunderstanding what you mean 🤔😁

On 31/07/2020 at 09:40, Carpmaster said:

I'm sure you've made that sound far more complicated then it needed to be.

Are you saying to want to try a heli set-up with a drop off lead?

What is the reason you are losing the fish? Hook pulls? The fish get stuck in the weed and you can´t move it and it eventually gets lost? 
There is many kinds of weeds. Lillys, Pond weed etc is not that tough to handle imo but elodea canadensis can be brutal. If your fish bolt into a belt of that you're basically into a ton of weed and that will be hard to solve unless able to boat out. I would definitely recommend dropping the lead if there is a lot of weed where you fish. Also make sure you're indication is as good as can be because it is not uncommon to get 1 or 2 beeps on the sounder, making it sound like you have a bream on and in fact you have a carp on that instantly went into the weed but the line cant move so you don't get any further indications. Needless to say, the more time the carp get to weed up the harder it will be to land. So hit almost anything on the sounder. 

Last week I had a fish exactly like that. I had single beeps on all my 3 rods mid night, I was sure it was bats or crayfish and didn't mind as much. Half an hour later I checked my rods and noticed the bobbin was tight to one of the rods. Lifted it and it was obvious the line had gone into a lot of weed without noise. Fortunately I still landed what I thought was a bream, but actually was a carp. 

Simon the weed is all different types from Canadian to this stuff that looks like the kelp you get at sea as well as large rocks boulders etc used to keep the liner down its brutal in places   not to bad in others but in the same breath to get in the not so bad swims is hard work cause they're usually taken on a one in one out basis.