New Carper with a question

Shane

Hey all, Shane here from London, Ontario. I recently have been using an inline method feeder 3oz, setup as a bolt rig. The rig works great but the only issues that i have been experiencing are while fighting the fish. i seem to consistently feel like the line is being pulled from snags on the bottom while im fighting a carp on the line. It feels more like the method feeder is hitting the rocks or bottom of the river while the fish is running / fighting. and in some cases it catches pretty good, causing a break off. Just wondering if there is any solution to help prevent this from happening? i did put a small split lead about 12 inches above the method lead to prevent it from sliding down to far on my line while fighting a fish, which seemed to help, but did not fix the issue. Or is it a fairly common issue while fishing with a heavier method feeder / bolt rig setup?

Although it is an issue for me i did land 14/16 in a few hours the other day without a break off like the above mentioned, but i could feel the lead snagging on the bottom then pulling out of the snag. sometimes it's enough to feel like the carp got off but then i reel in a bit to find it's still on the line.

as of current i am using 10lbs power pro braided line with a 7 foot Ugly stick elite medium rod as a starter setup. Also have the Okuma avenger 30b reel as a starter reel.

Edited by Shane

17 hours ago, Shane said:

i did put a small split lead about 12 inches above the method

Hi Shane. This is generally frowned upon as you could potentially create a "death rig", i.e. if the line breaks above the shot, the fish could be trailing the method feeder and this could cause the fish to snag up and die. Without the shot, the feeder will be free to run off and the fish only has a bit of line to deal with.

How to set-up a drop-off lead

I've borrowed this image from the ESP website that shows an in-line drop off system. The end of the swivel is plugged into the lead and will drop off with a bit of head shaking. The draw back and that it makes fishing expensive and the environmental impact of dumping fishing tackle troubles me.

If you are fishing a snaggy river with a lot of boulders, unfortunately you are going to suffer from the fish using them to escape. Rather than using a method feeder, you could use a lead and wrap the method mix around that or use PVA bags to create a feeding area.

Probably the best advice I can offer is to fish above the snags if possible and draw the fish out with feed. In rivers, you can't beat a bait dropper (below) to lay a carpet of bait down.

Kodex Barbel Bait Dropper

Hi Shane

I would think the ugly stick isn't perhaps the right rod to use for a method feeder set up, I just had a look and it's ideal weight for casting seems to be 1.7oz, so with a packed method feeder you would be looking more like 5oz I would think, this may also explain why the feeder is dragging a bit on the retrieve as it will probably be pulling the tip over by itself and then add an angry carp to the mix, might just be too much for the rod, and it's drags 

I would perhaps switch to using an inline lead or lead clip set up and using pack bait around that would make it better (2oz lead would be about the max I would use with that rod ) 

I also agree don't put anything above the feeder it makes it dangerous, but welcome hope this helps 

Thank you guys for the feed back. I will remove that split lead from my line. I wouldn't want to risk killing a fish for no reason. I will also look into getting another rod. Do you guys have any rod suggestions you might recommend? I do prefer a rod in the 7 ft to 9 ft range. I find anything over 9 ft a bit to to big for my liking. 

Thanks again guys.

Years ago when I first went catfishing on the Red I picked up a few 9' Shimano FX rods for my friends and I.  They proved strong enough for the sumo cats and short enough to use out of the boat, and were only about $20.  One fellow who didn't get one of those rods went to the same store and bought an FX 8' (I'd taken all the 9'), and he broke it in half bringing in a big fish.  All the 9' rods handled channel cats to 35 lb in strong current.  I still have mine with a big D.A.M. Quick baitrunner on it, and used it last on Sunday float fishing for perch and for pitching big pike lures.  Med-heavy so I'd have no compunctions about throwing 3oz leads, and fast action so lots of give under the tip.  There may not be a shred of graphite in it, but the only real fault I've found is it's cheap so lacks prestige.....  My first 12' rods were a set of fibreglass Ultimate 2.25 tc and I used one of them to the point it's been beat to flinders and gotten soft so probably closer to 1.5 lb now, but I still prefer it to my nicer rods in close river swims.  

If its a rough as you say on the bottom this would be one of those rare times i use a "Lead drop off system" you can still pack the method mix around the lead ,just mix it a little stiffer . You tube has plenty of info on Lead drop off .

I would also move to 20 lbs mono , far more abrasive resistant than Braid .

Try looking up a sea fishing rig called "the pully rig". When a fish is hooked on this rig, the weight/ pull of the fish brings the lead up away from the bottom. You will have to have a little play about with your inline feeder to adapt it but it should help lift your lead away from the bottom when you play a fish.