Pre baiting

Garys_carping

Hi All

I have been fishing a lake only small around 1 1/2 acres in size for a couple of months now it has some really snaggy margins and goes to around 7 ft in the deep end to around 3ft in the shallows.

I love the lake has a couple of commons into the low 30s few high 20 mirrors and about 6 other 20s made up of mirrors and commons with a stock of approx 60 carp. No bream a few tench and perch.

I have had 3 out so far and I will concentrate on this lake until next spring so I wanted to do a bit of pre baiting. I have not done a baiting campaign before on a venue I was thinking of baiting with boilies and pellet but as for quantity of bait I am unsure so I am looking for some advice on the best way to do a baiting strategy as baits, quantities and any other advice please 

Thanks 🎣

Prebait what you can afford!

When I was fishing Earith Virgina Water, about 20acres, I was only putting in a kilogramme of boilies every week. Ok, I had put in around 10kg before I even started fishing, but when I left every week I would put in a kilo over various spots in the lake.

I was only fishing over stringers, bags and a few freebies, a mix of pellets, whole and chopped boilies, no more than 500grams at a time.

Basically I was taking 3 500gram * bags of boilies, one for fishing with, and two to put in at the end, and a small bucket of pellets, around a kilogramme.

* I was making my own bait, so always bagged them up in 500gram bags. Any extras would get airdried and after they were totally dry would get added to the pellet bucket or saved and used instead of frozen baits.

On 13/07/2020 at 21:58, Garys_carping said:

I have been fishing a lake only small around 1 1/2 acres

13 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Earith Virgina Water, about 20acres

Imo these are completely different prospects, especially for pre-baiting, and I'd approach them completely differently.

On such a small water (1 1/2 acres) I'd be looking to bait very small spots, very accurately. On bigger waters I'd be trying to get them visiting an area frequently. On waters as small as an acre they're already in the area so I'd be trying to get them feeding regularly on the exact spot I intend to hook them from.

On 13/07/2020 at 21:58, Garys_carping said:

I have not done a baiting campaign before on a venue I was thinking of baiting with boilies and pellet but as for quantity of bait I am unsure so I am looking for some advice on the best way to do a baiting strategy as baits, quantities and any other advice please.

On any water I find frequency is more important than qty. Half a kilo 3 times a week is much more effective than one big dump once a week imo. You don't need to use anything special - any half decent baits will do the job. I tend to use a good food bait and bulk it out with something else (what that something else is will depend on what's in the lake (for example I'd avoid pellet and corn if tench are going to smash the lot)). I tend to stick to boilies and tigers if tench are about.

Pick the right spot(s). Try to find an area the fish like to visit regularly regardless of pre-baiting.

Try to keep it quiet. Pre-baiting is no good if others are fishing your spots when you're not there.

Have fun.

14 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Prebait what you can afford!

When I was fishing Earith Virgina Water, about 20acres, I was only putting in a kilogramme of boilies every week. Ok, I had put in around 10kg before I even started fishing, but when I left every week I would put in a kilo over various spots in the lake.

I was only fishing over stringers, bags and a few freebies, a mix of pellets, whole and chopped boilies, no more than 500grams at a time.

Basically I was taking 3 500gram * bags of boilies, one for fishing with, and two to put in at the end, and a small bucket of pellets, around a kilogramme.

* I was making my own bait, so always bagged them up in 500gram bags. Any extras would get airdried and after they were totally dry would get added to the pellet bucket or saved and used instead of frozen baits.

I was prebaiting with wild bird seed mix from home bargains then add 2 tins of chickpeas 2 tins of butter beans a few hands of my boilies and was happy days     I only put in 500gram bags around the lake of boilies spread out so they find it different places and it's safe    because every man and his dog is jumping it in I just fish a large single with a pva bag of ground bait soaked in hemp oil the night before that's it 

1 hour ago, Garys_carping said:

Thanks guys quality advice I have found around 3 or 4 areas where they hold up and a couple of spots that they feed on only problem is where I have seen them feed alot so does everyone else and quite common to turn up and those known feeding spots are being fished 80% of the time.

Sounds like you either need to make your own spot or find something in between the 2 spots where they would pass, personally I wouldn't bother baiting a spot that is being fished all the time, that probably won't help as there will be regular baiting already being done, fish the spots if you can but maybe trickle some in elsewhere if you think they have another area they may visit, 

I'm currently in a similar position where people seem to be getting swims going and swims I've tried to bait up have been taken when I get there, my aim is to just make my bait as attractive as I can fish everywhere and build up a picture, I may start a little pre-baiting later on in the year, once I've got it sussed out a bit more but for now, just keep moving round and try and find something where no one else is looking,, 👍

13 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Sounds like you either need to make your own spot or find something in between the 2 spots where they would pass, personally I wouldn't bother baiting a spot that is being fished all the time, that probably won't help as there will be regular baiting already being done, fish the spots if you can but maybe trickle some in elsewhere if you think they have another area they may visit, 

I'm currently in a similar position where people seem to be getting swims going and swims I've tried to bait up have been taken when I get there, my aim is to just make my bait as attractive as I can fish everywhere and build up a picture, I may start a little pre-baiting later on the year, once I've got it sussed out a bit more but for now, just keep moving round and try and find something where no one else is looking,, 👍

8 hours ago, yonny said:

On such a small water (1 1/2 acres) I'd be looking to bait very small spots, very accurately. On bigger waters I'd be trying to get them visiting an area frequently. On waters as small as an acre they're already in the area so I'd be trying to get the

I was more interested in getting the fish to accept the bait, so wherever I fished they would be happy to eat it, pick up the hookbait.

No matter which swim I fished I caught, all over the lake, I believe because they had come to accept my boilies as a food.

Also I made no secret that I was using Trigga, but what I had kept quiet was I had added a flavour, (Liver Elite), taste enhancer and sweetener (Sweet Cajouser) and added extra GLM extract. My version outfished the standard version that was available as a freezer bait or shelf life.

7 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I was more interested in getting the fish to accept the bait, so wherever I fished they would be happy to eat it, pick up the hookbait.

No matter which swim I fished I caught, all over the lake, I believe because they had come to accept my boilies as a food.

Also I made no secret that I was using Trigga, but what I had kept quiet was I had added a flavour, (Liver Elite), taste enhancer and sweetener (Sweet Cajouser) and added extra GLM extract. My version outfished the standard version that was available as a freezer bait or shelf life.

Good angling see just a few changes to an allready good bait totally changes the outcome