The best budget spod kit around...

Hi all, 

Believe it or not I've never used a spod rod or involved this technique in my fishing at all. I'm wanting to get myself some kit now but looking for recommendations...

Rod?

Reel?

Braid, what lb breaking strain?

End tackle?

I'm wanting to keep things fairly budget to get me started.

Thanks in advance

Paul

8 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

With the mini and midi spomb you can get away with a 3lb test rod, i use the Mitchel avocet reel it was 30 odd quid and if i ever wanted a set of big pit reels i would happily use it for fishing.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out

10 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

Hi all, 

Believe it or not I've never used a spod rod or involved this technique in my fishing at all. I'm wanting to get myself some kit now but looking for recommendations...

Rod?

Reel?

Braid, what lb breaking strain?

End tackle?

I'm wanting to keep things fairly budget to get me started.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I'm not going to be much help on the rod or reel as I still use my Century DD Big Bertha and Shimano Aerlex.

However when it comes to line on it, I still stick to 15lb Mono, with a 40lb Mono Shockleader.

I personally, have had braid cut a groove in the tip and butt ring of a spod rod. I have also found that because there is no stretch in braid you are more likely to crack off if you are hitting the clip hard. 

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm not going to be much help on the rod or reel as I still use my Century DD Big Bertha and Shimano Aerlex.

However when it comes to line on it, I still stick to 15lb Mono, with a 40lb Mono Shockleader.

I personally, have had braid cut a groove in the tip and butt ring of a spod rod. I have also found that because there is no stretch in braid you are more likely to crack off if you are hitting the clip hard. 

If you are hitting the clip too hard have a look at the airbomb it's kind of got a shock absorber I've used mine a couple of tines now starting to get the hang of it now 👍

I have a wychwood dispatch S1 spod rod that's pretty decent, I think cheap reels for spodding are a bit of a waste of time the sonik one isn't up to it imo , when you get into spodding it's worth remembering this is the rod and reel you will use most and will take the biggest amount of punishment, if you buy cheap you will need to replace it 

Might be worth looking at second hand to see what's out there 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

when you get into spodding it's worth remembering this is the rod and reel you will use most and will take the biggest amount of punishment, if you buy cheap you will need to replace it

I agree mate. The spod reel takes some serious punishment and gets covered in bait. It's worth spending the extra to get something reliable.

2 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

Thank you, really appreciate the advice. Any reel recommendations that aren't crazy money? 

For my standard reels I've used diawa regals for years and years with no problem and they were only about £50 from memory

Here you go trust me for spodding at any range the mitchell avo spod  will last for years, they were exclusive to erics angling so not sure if they are still for sale new, but there are some on ebay. 

I have been using mine for a fair few years and after a quick clean up a a spray of WD40 it runs better than new, the reel itself has been under water a fair few times whilst wading out to spod. ( over hanging trees)

1 minute ago, pablo7uk said:

Thanks for the advice, did these stay at £30 new? Seems very cheap or was it a one off offer?

Yes they sold at 29.99 only eric's stocked them though and they have been bought out by AD so not sure on who if anyone is selling the avo spod these days, the only problem with them and it's the same for a lot of braid reels is the line can get under the spool if you don't keep an eye on it. 

Anglers were buying the avocet sea reel for big pit fishing, so Mitchell and eric's came up with a compact striped down avocet purely for spodding, even comes with a service port under the spool so you can get reel oil or wd40 into the workings. nice solid build too. 

Bit of spodding advice if you don't mind, what ever reel you get if you are using a heavy spod make sure the spool is at the bottom of the reel spindle before casting, some guys like the spool at the top of the spindle which will lead to a bend in the reel spindle and that can happen on the most expensive of spodding reels when slinging out your best munga TMKorda. 

Nice you will be able to bung the biggest spods out with that, i use a old stillwater BPX 3lbtc rod for my spombing and marker rod, it's one of those things i mean to replace but something else comes up. I did pick a set of second hand fox torque rods up a few years back, paid near full retail for them glad i did. can't believe Fox discontinued them, i honestly think it was a product to good for its price range cutting into their more pricey rod range one or the other had to go. 

Does anyone rate the Sonik Dominator X 6000 RS Big Pit reels? About £65/70 quid each?

The other option I've seen is second hand diawa emblems which I'm sure will be good quality but just keeping an eye on a few ebay auctions to get a feel for their second hand price as might be too much still to be honest.