A14 to St Ives

38 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I’ll be joining St Ives for the season ahead and I’ve not travelled along the A14 for some years. What’s with the changes/improvements that have/are being carried out?

I tow our caravan to Wyton Lakes Camping/Caravan site, just up the road from St Ives, at least twice a year from the outskirts of Birmingham so I've seen several changes to the A14. The best by far is the new arrangement where A14 goes from M6. That dreadful Catthorpe interchange with the traffic lights is gone! The difference/improvement is astonishing and is how it should have been all along. Otherwise it's same old A14, pretty much...……….

Ian.

PS. If you're into camping, trailer tents or caravanning you might want to Google Wyton Lakes. Very friendly, laid back and the fishing is good...……...

13 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I’ll be joining St Ives for the season ahead and I’ve not travelled along the A14 for some years. What’s with the changes/improvements that have/are being carried out?

For us locals it's a right pain in the buttocks but once done it should be pretty good other than if you are me where it will make no difference as they haven't put a south bound exit where it would benefit me 

Are you coming from the north that seems loads better tbh? No more stopping at Huntingdon either flyover built working well not sure where you get off for st Ives now as there is a new road in place but I am sure there will be an exit for it somewhere 

9 hours ago, elmoputney said:

For us locals it's a right pain in the buttocks but once done it should be pretty good other than if you are me where it will make no difference as they haven't put a south bound exit where it would benefit me 

Are you coming from the north that seems loads better tbh? No more stopping at Huntingdon either flyover built working well not sure where you get off for st Ives now as there is a new road in place but I am sure there will be an exit for it somewhere 

Yeah, I’ll be travelling from Cheshire so either straight down M6 or possibly across A50 to M1/A1👍

17 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Cheers mate, hope to bump into you👍Looking at the Lagoon and possibly Meadows/Fjords for school summer holidays🤞🏻

Epic mate what a place/challenge.

I'll be doing a bit on Bluebell this year but I'm gonna have a few looks round the mighty St Ives throughout the year with a mind on joining next winter.

What's not to like! 👍

56 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Yeah, I’ll be travelling from Cheshire so either straight down M6 or possibly across A50 to M1/A1👍

Should be a bit better now for you either way I would think, the new road is pretty decent as long as there are no closures but they are hoping to have it finished this year so hopefully it will be OK 

• 3 months later...

Hi All,  Been a long time not being on here, 10 years or so. Word of warning if travelling from the east ie ipswich. If wanting to get off at cambridge area, i did this the other day and the st Ives juction is the last opp to get off the road before the new bit. because once on the new bit you cant get off untill you get to the A1 all the bridges are there but no slip ways. I was wanting to get off fen ditton way and had a 40 mile detour to the A1 and back lol. you also can not get onto the old A14 from the A1 end, road closed.