Location In The Summer

crusian

Hi Everyone

So with the hot weather if there aren't any obvious shows where would you expect the Carp to be ? .

I'm thinking that during the day the shallows will not have a lot of oxygen , and the Carp will move into the shallows under the cover of darkness .

Maybe look for deeper water where the sunlight doesn't penetrate as easily as the shallows ? .

Any ideas please ? .

Ta 

😃 

They will almost certainly be amongst the heaviest weed during the day Andy. That weed will be pumping out oxygen all day and, with warmer water able to hold less oxygen, the fish will likely be there to take advantage of that.

When the sun goes down they'll head out to feed. Where that will be will be completely different from water to water.

When the weather is at it's warmest I don't particularly rate the shallowest water (that is a very general statement I realise and cannot ring true for every water!!). Shallow water is often used when the carp are chasing the temperatures so earlier and later in the year the shallows can be unbeatable in warmer weather. However, this time of the year, when the whole lake is luke warm like a bath, they don't need to chase those temperatures. Rather they will chase the oxygen during the day and the food at night.

This time of year I always make an effort to get up in the night and scope the lake out. They can feed a long way away from where they hang out during the day.

On 30 July 2019 at 21:54, crusian said:

Hi Everyone

So with the hot weather if there aren't any obvious shows where would you expect the Carp to be ? .

I'm thinking that during the day the shallows will not have a lot of oxygen , and the Carp will move into the shallows under the cover of darkness .

Maybe look for deeper water where the sunlight doesn't penetrate as easily as the shallows ? .

Any ideas please ? .

Ta 

😃

Strangely enough depending on water depth, of the whole lake, the deeper water is often the most oxygenated. A reservoir, the most oxygenated water will be 4metres deep or more. However, in a 'normal' lake you are looking at maximum depth being not much more than  3/4 metres, so mega deep water is out of the question.

During warmer days I would be looking under cover, weedbeds, overhanging trees, snags, and the like.

If you have undercut banks then these can be very good spots, and for obvious reasons you might not see carp in them.

23 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Strangely enough depending on water depth, of the whole lake, the deeper water is often the most oxygenated. A reservoir, the most oxygenated water will be 4metres deep or more. However, in a 'normal' lake you are looking at maximum depth being not much more than  3/4 metres, so mega deep water is out of the question.

During warmer days I would be looking under cover, weedbeds, overhanging trees, snags, and the like.

If you have undercut banks then these can be very good spots, and for obvious reasons you might not see carp in them.

Thanks , Nick.

Ah the undercut banks , I remember the tale of your epic struggle with one undercut resident that acted as though it was a lot bigger than it turned out to be - well worth catching though .

😀

2 hours ago, crusian said:

Thanks , Nick.

Ah the undercut banks , I remember the tale of your epic struggle with one undercut resident that acted as though it was a lot bigger than it turned out to be - well worth catching though .

😀

Thanks, just thinking of that carp brings back good memories, the 20lb common that thought it was a 50😄😖😆

That undercut produced a number of good fish, and it was especially good when the lake was crowded. 

Strangely enough, with the topic currently ongoing in Tackle and Equipment about rod lengths and casting, it was a cast where you had to drill the cast at a very low angle to get a long way under the bank.