Zig fishing

Machali

1 hour ago, commonly said:

This was good viewing too. 

I liked the presentation of the hook, not so sure I'd use maggots, as I only seem to catch small perch,. I hope Nige will like the product plug. 

There’s a water I fish that would be a decent rig,cheers mate 😬😎🎣

10 hours ago, commonly said:

This was good viewing too. 

I liked the presentation of the hook, not so sure I'd use maggots, as I only seem to catch small perch,. I hope Nige will like the product plug. 

Ha! 😂 

an old member off here, one of the really good mates I’ve made through this forum, showed me his zig trick around 10 years ago. Gluing a live maggot to the top of his zig bait. I put my own spin on it and glued one to the bottom of my 10mm foam ball. Theory behind doing it upside down was that it may disguise the hook a little. 

😎 🤞

Yes mate. Roll on Friday got 2 nights, first time since march. Can't wait. 

ZIGS all the way, using a rake to get some spots going

I'm waiting for my vacations to wet my lines again!

Give me a little help, do you spod over zigs? I saw it on a video from Korda, but when i spod i'm trying to create a bed of food on the bottom of the lake. But i will use zigs to fish on upper layers of water, not the bottom... 

18 minutes ago, Machali said:

I'm waiting for my vacations to wet my lines again!

Give me a little help, do you spod over zigs? I saw it on a video from Korda, but when i spod i'm trying to create a bed of food on the bottom of the lake. But i will use zigs to fish on upper layers of water, not the bottom... 

How many fish are on your venue mate,is it quite well stocked ?

Someone on here told me they use this weed rake, to stir up the lake bed, thus drawing fish in for the naturals and/or out of curiosity.

I've come to thinking having tried it once and having fish show on the spots within 20 minutes, it is the way to go. 

From what I've seen of sloppy zig mixes, you need to be prepared to get messy. Condensed milk, custard, honey, ground bait, bread all kinds of different baits. 

The rake, I hope will do the business! 

Screenshot_20190706-195950.png

From what I can tell the blokes who do zig fishing well, on this forum, don't spod either and they advise not to glug the foam or bug either. 

I'm not experienced at it, by any means but I plan to fish this way from now on. No more boilies😉 or bait of any kind. Environmentally friendly way to fish.

You can have a 50mm zig if you think they are on the bottom of the lake! 

I use some Mainline Zig Soup but bulk it out with some cheap porridge oats (Tesco) that I put through a grinder to make the particle size smaller and hang in the upper layers. I also use condensed milk with the lake water to make it nice and sloppy. I also normally add a few slices of bread to the mix and squeeze it to form a sloppy paste. The crust will float until it becomes saturated and will stay near the surface for that bit longer. I know some people advocate using sweetcorn and pellets in the mix but I can't understand the logic as they will drop through the water column far too quickly. OK if you are going to fish bottom baits on the spot after dark. You could mince the sweetcorn up with a food blender or Krusher and a yellow zig would probably be a good bet.

Edited by Golden Paws

Just plain old foam for me ..... unflavoured and no spod.......... I have done well fishing zigs 6” under the surface when I’ve had fish taking mixers but don’t fish as many venues like that anymore . In heavily stocked waters you can’t beat a bit of slop spodded in....... pellet mush liquidised corn and hemp oil dark zigs score the best.... even in dull conditions. You may catch the odd fish with just casting to showing fish but I think the trick is to find them when there on a natural binge and where they feel safe ....... work hard at zig fishing and you will catch more fish..... fact.  

2 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

It can be a bit messy! I tend to have the bait bucket away from my gear so it doesn't get too splattered. I use a water bucket to wash my hands after every cast and just splash a fair bit over the reel as well.

Very messy,I agree but when it works it works 😉😎

From what I can tell the blokes who do zig fishing well, on this forum, don't spod either and they advise not to glug the foam or bug either. 

I'm not experienced at it, by any means but I plan to fish this way from now on. No more boilies😉 or bait of any kind. Environmentally friendly way to fish.

You can have a 50mm zig if you think they are on the bottom of the lake! 

Its certainly a tactic that can work , but I'm not sure you can replace all the other methods of catching for this (zigs).

Although it would pose the question as to what would happen to the fish weights and even health in some waters if no one used any food source baits .

Just now, oscsha said:

Its certainly a tactic that can work , but I'm not sure you can replace all the other methods of catching for this (zigs).

Although it would pose the question as to what would happen to the fish weights and even health in some waters if no one used any food source baits .

They would just keep eating like they did before anglers turned up. I agree on man made lakes(holes in the ground) then they would struggle but that’s just how carp fishing is nowadays ...... 

1 hour ago, snowmanstevo said:

How many fish are on your venue mate,is it quite well stocked ?

I don't know the amount of fish because it's a public reservoir. Unfortunately here in Portugal are many anglers who still have the tradition of catch & freeze instead catch & release :(

I'm talking about the lake on the left, that little red point. Most anglers prefer to go to another lake near (less than 15km) because it's easier to fish there. I can tell you that the smallest carp i catched in the little one, was bigger that the bigger carp that i catched until today on the big lake.

Sem Título1.png

5 minutes ago, Machali said:

I don't know the amount of fish because it's a public reservoir. Unfortunately here in Portugal are many anglers who still have the tradition of catch & freeze instead catch & release :(

I'm talking about the lake on the left, that little red point. Most anglers prefer to go to another lake near (less than 15km) because it's easier to fish there. I can tell you that the smallest carp i catched in the little one, was bigger that the bigger carp that i catched until today on the big lake.

Sem Título1.png

Is definitely find em,watch em fish accordingly ....... Ian (Iberian) has fish a lot in your country but hasn’t been on here for a long time,unfortunately..... he’s had some stunners.

38 minutes ago, oscsha said:

I'm not sure you can replace all the other methods of catching for this (zigs).

I'll let you know, my minds made up! 

For now anyway!!! 🤣

it's so simple. I love the concept! Fine tuning to my current kit and set up, required, but I hope to get it together in the next few sessions. 

I couldn't care less about feeding puddle pigs for someone else's benefit. My current venue doesn't get kilos upon kilos of bait thrown in, so the average is late double early 20's. Nature has its balance is the owners philosophy and I tend to agree. 

3 minutes ago, commonly said:

I'll let you know, my minds made up! 

For now anyway!!! 🤣

it's so simple. I love the concept! Fine tuning to my current kit and set up, required, but I hope to get it together in the next few sessions. 

I couldn't care less about feeding puddle pigs for someone else's benefit. My current venue doesn't get kilos upon kilos of bait thrown in, so the average is late double early 20's. Nature has its balance is the owners philosophy and I tend to agree. 

Same as my local ........ you’ll smash zigs you’ve gotta remember it’s a working type of angling as per match man..... find em,give em what they want,when they want it and you’ll be amazed.