New Harrings Bio-Weights

malcfish

1 minute ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I tried using a Stonze on a small lake on a heli set-up, even over 30-40metres it swung in the air, you could see the direction changes. My larger 3 1/2- 4 1/2 oz Stonze have not even been used.

Mike Wilson originally used Glass weights on Savay, he was concerned with the possibility of different metals, the swivel, the lead and hook creating an electrical field that repelled carp. I know he had great difficulties coming up with a glass that did not shatter on impact.

I used to get 'rank' multifinish plaster and make weights out of it, always round ones with swivels as I had to work quickly to mould them by hand, but there must be a better way, a better material. I've used plasticine for small ledger weights for carp and chub in snaggy swims, normally rolled around the swivel mainline hooklink join.

Yeah the large ones are fairly horrible things to be perfectly honest.

I love the small ones and have a huge collection of them, obviously in order to pick out your favourites at the weights you want, and as I say, IMO there has NEVER been a better method feeder on planet Earth, any groundbait will stick like superglue (Mr. Pomeroy can thank me later)!

Casting accuracy is a funny one but often comes down, for me, to a good old Arlesey bomb, hard to find these days but Anchor do great ones with a slightly dodgy green paint on them!

That old chestnut about electric current is something I am iffy about. Say you had two swivels, link and hook version, or a bait mounting screw, and some of that Rigmarole steel cored tubing on, PLUS a lead, and (erm, a hook has been deemed essential).. is there not a chance that in fact (when the whole lot works, which is well proven) that you may in fact be ATTRACTING them with it all?

Just a thought...!

Somebody will come up with something clever mate, some sort of resin compound that is organic and completely inert, and is dense and heavy and can be moulded using CAD technology

It must be perfect looking or anglers will not buy it,, sorry to labour that point again but it is very true

another trick which has been proven by far more major commercial enterprises than fishing weights is: don't even tell'em! (For both good and bad over the years),

Point is, the race is on!

Yes lead is horrible, a nasty material which is (quite possibly) poisoning waters. If you have ever read up on lead oxide powder then you will know it is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY not something you ever want lying around in your sugar bowl, and maybe, just maybe, what with water being very reactive indeed, something may be afoot.. We don't know, somebody might though..

Anyway tungsten is a different material altogether, maybe that can play a part, but maybe we just need to get used to using large leads of either stone, or aforementioned inert resin compounds of some sort..?

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

Yeah the large ones are fairly horrible things to be perfectly honest.

I love the small ones and have a huge collection of them, obviously in order to pick out your favourites at the weights you want, and as I say, IMO there has NEVER been a better method feeder on planet Earth, any groundbait will stick like superglue (Mr. Pomeroy can thank me later)!

Casting accuracy is a funny one but often comes down, for me, to a good old Arlesey bomb, hard to find these days but Anchor do great ones with a slightly dodgy green paint on them!

That old chestnut about electric current is something I am iffy about. Say you had two swivels, link and hook version, or a bait mounting screw, and some of that Rigmarole steel cored tubing on, PLUS a lead, and (erm, a hook has been deemed essential).. is there not a chance that in fact (when the whole lot works, which is well proven) that you may in fact be ATTRACTING them with it all?

Just a thought...!

Sorry, the post above and this are actually the wrong way round.

I went to edit my post, but had problems so deleted and started again

Years and years ago we had a thread discussing whether carp can detect electromagnetic impulses, I think the correct term, for finding live prey like bloodworms, mussels and the like, so how much this would translate to different metals (and carbon) being an attractant, I really don't know.

I have lost a number of my Stonze, they got used as break away weights on weak links when pike fishing. Casting with a Stonze and a deadbait, I know I'm never going to cast perfectly straight. You do lose the occasional lead in fast rivers in snags you don't know exist, especially after a flood. Tackle strong enough to land the fish, which is most important with pike. You do NOT want to leave a hook and wire trace in a pike ever.

I use them for chub fishing as well, more so than lead weights. At times in a fast river a 1-2oz Stonze is better than a lead, looking more natural. I think my larger Stonze may end up being used in flooded rivers.

Something going through my mind with Stonze though; they are also able to take on liquids, so they are either a porous stone, or ground stone and resin bound.

If Simon Pomeroy has patented or registered the idea, then the sentence above could put the cat in the pigeons as I have come up with the idea independantly. 

If they are ground stone and resin bound, then you can adjust the shape, even perfectly round would be better!

I have a mate who makes a lot of my leads for me;

I think in my tackle box I have bought only pear and distance leads for a few years, because I found they were the best casting shapes. I do have a few others, that I found!

On most of my leads I cut the swivel off, I think the swivel allows extra movement which may be enough for a fish to use the lead to eject the hook. Going into rig evasion area here... 

I had to check the bumpf on Stonze after my thought above:

• Proven to help catch more fish
  • Exceptional method feeder
  • Environmentally friendly
  • Porous so will take on a water based flavour
  • Naturally unobtrusive
  • Genuinely camouflaged
  • Internationally award winning
  • Patented Worldwide
  • A natural stone weight

Does the job of your lead but so much more!

21 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Years and years ago we had a thread discussing whether carp can detect electromagnetic impulses, I think the correct term, for finding live prey like bloodworms, mussels and the like, so how much this would translate to different metals (and carbon) being an attractant, I really don't know.

I have lost a number of my Stonze, they got used as break away weights on weak links when pike fishing. Casting with a Stonze and a deadbait, I know I'm never going to cast perfectly straight. You do lose the occasional lead in fast rivers in snags you don't know exist, especially after a flood. Tackle strong enough to land the fish, which is most important with pike. You do NOT want to leave a hook and wire trace in a pike ever.

I use them for chub fishing as well, more so than lead weights. At times in a fast river a 1-2oz Stonze is better than a lead, looking more natural. I think my larger Stonze may end up being used in flooded rivers.

Something going through my mind with Stonze though; they are also able to take on liquids, so they are either a porous stone, or ground stone and resin bound.

If Simon Pomeroy has patented or registered the idea, then the sentence above could put the cat in the pigeons as I have come up with the idea independantly. 

If they are ground stone and resin bound, then you can adjust the shape, even perfectly round would be better!

I think in my tackle box I have bought only pear and distance leads for a few years, because I found they were the best casting shapes. I do have a few others, that I found!

On most of my leads I cut the swivel off, I think the swivel allows extra movement which may be enough for a fish to use the lead to eject the hook. Going into rig evasion area here... 

It's a topic with a lot of depth

I started writing something about it and went off on too many tangents

One thing I have always loved and sworn by is a MEGA minimal, MEGA streamlined helicopter setup. It is a thing of beauty, BUT it is very hard to do, in fact it is nearly impossible, for a variety of reasons.

If you have a helicopter rig with pure braid, for one reason or another, it just works like 

27 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Sorry, the post above and this are actually the wrong way round.

I went to edit my post, but had problems so deleted and started again

You're getting into areas which are complex and interesting, and I keep writing something and deleting it, so I'm going to mull it over tonight mate.

I have many opinions on all this, some of which I revealed in a sadly ignored thread about people using tubing for helicopter rigs

I'm a bit of a helicopter rig obsessive, though I never use them!

I am also very interested in lead alternatives, as my post above says. I did pottery and know that lead is not a fun thing, whatsoever

I have some ideas which may interest you and others, to do with fuse-ing

More later mate

9 hours ago, Leonard said:

Somebody will come up with something clever mate, some sort of resin compound that is organic and completely inert, and is dense and heavy and can be moulded using CAD technology

I think the biggest challenge is the manufacturing process i.e. moulding. There's loads of suitable materials that could be machined or turned but that's not cost effective. For moulding, plastics don't have the weight and glass is difficult to work with due to the high working temp/viscosity. Imo you're spot on that some kind of resin must be suitable but it's just a matter of finding it.

34 minutes ago, yonny said:

I think the biggest challenge is the manufacturing process i.e. moulding. There's loads of suitable materials that could be machined or turned but that's not cost effective. For moulding, plastics don't have the weight and glass is difficult to work with due to the high working temp/viscosity. Imo you're spot on that some kind of resin must be suitable but it's just a matter of finding it.

some form of pressed hemp? wouldn't that be just ideal!

I think I posted this once before but it's pretty interesting so I'll posy it again. It's a scientific study that pretty much proves that dropping leads has little to no influence on water quality/pollution.

I'm not saying it'as ok to drop leads, it is in the very least littering if anything, but it does make for interesting reading.

https://gardnertackle.co.uk/2018/05/carp-fishing-dropping-the-lead-sam-meeuwissen/

3 hours ago, yonny said:

I cannot seem to re-find those clear fishing leads, they appeared in the mags before with Colin Davidson seen using them in features.

Anyone got a link, info?

To be honest I will be happy on Stonze if anything kicks off, I fish a small water, dunno what the big casters will do on the big pits etc, maybe they will have to share bait boats between them!?

1 hour ago, yonny said:

I think I posted this once before but it's pretty interesting so I'll posy it again. It's a scientific study that pretty much proves that dropping leads has little to no influence on water quality/pollution.

I'm not saying it'as ok to drop leads, it is in the very least littering if anything, but it does make for interesting reading.

https://gardnertackle.co.uk/2018/05/carp-fishing-dropping-the-lead-sam-meeuwissen/

The plastic coating is another story, plastic is a known pollutant which leaks chemicals and doesn't break down.. Maybe, just maybe, that would be banned and not the leads?

I'm no expert and might be wrong that it even is plastic in Korda lead coatings (Argon? Something like that, whatever that is)!, besides their new coating seems more like a paint job of some kind, anyway I wouldn't care less about coatings personally and would be happy using bare lead

Maybe leads are totally safe in water, I dunno, it is of course used in roofing so it must then be (pretty much) safe in air as well, weathering over decades.. 

Lead oxide is formed by, basically, very high temperature treatment, so I'm not sure it is possible in nature, might be wrong, that stuff is, as I have spoken about elsewhere,  PB02 is

REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY NOT something you want lying around unprotected anywhere even remotely near you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Leonard

Looks like they are made from a ground stone compound and bound together with epoxy resin, the same stuff used in art and craft works such as penny flooring. They say it is environmentally friendly and biodegradable, not sure if that includes being used in this way and ending up on the bottom of the lake. 

That's if it is made from epoxy resin just a guess. 

39 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Looks like they are made from a ground stone compound and bound together with epoxy resin, the same stuff used in art and craft works such as penny flooring. They say it is environmentally friendly and biodegradable, not sure if that includes being used in this way and ending up on the bottom of the lake. 

That's if it is made from epoxy resin just a guess. 

That would be my worry as well , any thing that is breaking down in water could do more harm than lead .

As a customer and more so if I owned a fishery I would want to know what they are made of , just because they are biodegradable doesn't mean they are safe for fisheries .