Unhooking Fish With Bad Back....

I’m new to the forum so hi everyone.

i have an auto immune condition which causes arthritis around my spine and hips. About half my spine has now fused together and I struggle to bend down. Is there like a unhooking table that is quite high for me to unhook the fish? It needs to be around the height of a normal table. I was thinking of buying a folding table and putting a unhooking cradle or mat with padded sides on but don’t think it will be very safe for the fish. Any ideas? TIA

Heres a photo of my latest catch.....32lb cat....

9BE5CDEC-24EA-4588-95AA-3FA53951264B.jpeg

Hi luv4carp 

Welcome to the forum 

To me a table sounds a bit dodgy as if it's not perfecty level you may get sliding issues, and it's a big drop for the carp if it falls 

Have you looked at some of the bigger cradles (with frames) they may be better for you , if not would be worth asking a company to have one made to suit you maybe an extra tall one, with a taller frame or maybe have some 3/8th threads put on the frame so you could use adjustable banksticks to increase the height that way 

Hope this helps and all the best 

Elmo 

7 hours ago, Luv4carp said:

I’m new to the forum so hi everyone.

i have an auto immune condition which causes arthritis around my spine and hips. About half my spine has now fused together and I struggle to bend down. Is there like a unhooking table that is quite high for me to unhook the fish? It needs to be around the height of a normal table. I was thinking of buying a folding table and putting a unhooking cradle or mat with padded sides on but don’t think it will be very safe for the fish. Any ideas? TIA

Heres a photo of my latest catch.....32lb cat....

9BE5CDEC-24EA-4588-95AA-3FA53951264B.jpeg

Hello. 

To my knowledge not many fisheries are going to like you having their fish that high off the ground. 

Are you able to get some waders on and get in the water. With a good unhooking mat or retaining sling. This would allow unhooking and photos without any risk to the fish. I'm sure the bailiff/owner would/should adapt a swim to allow you to enter/exit the water safely in this regard. 

Fair play to you buddy

Welcome to Carp.com.

You have really got me thinking, and not knowing how severe your arthritis is, the only answer I can come up with that is safe for the fish is a framed cradle, but then you would have to be ungentlemanly and slide your legs under the fish in the cradle.

I picked up a few with the search terms in Google of carp cradle, here is one.

https://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fishcare/tfg-banshee-carp-cradle/40/yes/176647?Affiliate=4,397&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpZKKjJze4QIV6LztCh02UQUoEAQYDSABEgIu6fD_BwE

Sadly the alternative is fish with someone else who can unhook the fish for you.

May depend on what you want from your fishing trips i.e why you go , but it may be worth considering general float fishing this may be easier on your body as a whole . If your back is that bad you may struggle or put yourself in pain even playing a large carp or cat fish . 

20 hours ago, elmoputney said:

There is an NGT one that will go 2 foot high apparently according to an Amazon question and it has a kneeling pad so may be more comfortable getting up and down 

Thanks elmoputney.......do you have a link at all as struggling to find the one you mean...?

Hi Luv, I make my own unhooking cradle. I also suffer from arthritis and as I get older the cradle I make gets higher. I made a video of one a few years ago so if you or a friend are handy in the workshop it will give you the general idea how to go about it. You can make it to the height that suits you. Hope this is useful.

34 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

This one but they also do a jumbo one which may be even higher 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carp-Cradle-Unhooking-Fishing-Protective/dp/B011CZJXW2

Cheers mate 👍

34 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

This one but they also do a jumbo one which may be even higher 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carp-Cradle-Unhooking-Fishing-Protective/dp/B011CZJXW2

Nice one.....will have a look.....cheers