Best all round rods

5 hours ago, carpyian said:

As per title best all round rods atm I'm using free spirit e class gold 3.25 but used to have harrison torix what rods you all using 

How come you got rid of your harrison's?  They are in my opinion the best all round rod. I've got their chimeras and they can smack a lead a big distance and yet be a good action under the rod tip. I wouldn't buy any other rod apart from  harrison.  

I've just "splashed the cash" and am back on the rods I've been promising myself since stupidly selling a set of them about 3 or 4 years ago. I regretted doing it at the time, but I needed the cash due to work issues....
I only fish 11' rods, (which limits my choices somewhat), but FreeSpirit, within the S range, offer the TS 2.75lb 11 footer. They are absolutely fantastic and I sold every other rod I had to help fund buying them. 
These, to me, are the "ultimate" 11 footers. Absolutely superb fish playing action, very light, minimal graphics, and can flick a lead out brilliantly. Caught my pb on one of these (37lb Common) so I certainly don't feel "undergunned" using them on waters that hold bigger fish. 
I don't consider myself a "tackle tart" but it's nice that everybody who has seen them has commented on how good they look and feel. 
"Best rod" is a little subjective, because you can only gauge it on ones that you have actually used. But to me, these are MY best rods.
I just hope the wife never finds out how much I actually spent on them.....😲😲😲

Edited by smufter

20 hours ago, carpyian said:

As per title best all round rods atm I'm using free spirit e class gold 3.25 but used to have harrison torix what rods you all using 

I have honestly not found an all round best rod, there are too many variables involved. Size of water, distance needed to cast, weed etc.

For long distance casting the best rods I have used have been Century FMJ's, followed by 2.75lb SP's, both could put a lead out long long way, well over 120+. My current Rod Hutchinson The Ones in 3.25 are growing on me, and I can hit over 130. 

My Century NG's in 2.75lb I can hit over 100 as well with a 3oz lead.

My favourite fish playing rods were my Armalite mk.l's and ll's, followed by my current NG's.

I have a set of 3.25 Torrix... which many consider one of the best all round rods. I have no doubt though since buying a set of 13 ft hi s 220 's these are out performing the torrix as an all round rod hands down . And the torrix have become second choice . I noticed Yonny is finding the same since buying his 13ft Harrison  casting rods.  

I can fish the margin or 160 +,  also great for fishing long zigs .

20 hours ago, chillfactor said:

I noticed Yonny is finding the same since buying his 13ft Harrison  casting rods.  

I can fish the margin or 160 +,  also great for fishing long zigs .

Yup, I've still not switched back to my lighter rods. While I do prefer playing fish on the others the Trebs do everything I ask of them so I'm in rush to change back.

I’ve got a set of 13ft Treb Lites myself; mightily impressive tools they are too. But since switching to the smaller of the Dinton waters in the last few weeks I’ve been using my 12ft TE’s simply because the shorter rods are easier to wield in what are typically more restrictive swims.

4 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I’ve got a set of 13ft Treb Lites myself; mightily impressive tools they are too. But since switching to the smaller of the Dinton waters in the last few weeks I’ve been using my 12ft TE’s simply because the shorter rods are easier to wield in what are typically more restrictive swims.

How come you've left the dark side and gone on to white? 

Treb' lites are my next rod, custom built, luvvly jubbly.  

17 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Treb' lites are my next rod

5 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I’ve got a set of 13ft Treb Lites myself

Yeah it's the Lites in 13ft I went for lads. Really impressed with them. They're a bit of an animal but had thirties on zigs and under the tips now with no issues.

I did suffer 3 hook pulls in one night (the only losses I've had on them in several months which is odd) but I'm convinced 2 were down to rigs and the other was me being a noddy.

1 hour ago, emmcee said:

How come you've left the dark side and gone on to white? 

Treb' lites are my next rod, custom built, luvvly jubbly.  

Was catching consistently on Black after it re-opened but lots of smaller fish up to 25. Decided on a change of scenery abd ironically had an 18C on my first night on White!!

I’ll be back to Black when the water’s cleared in a month or so👍