Flavour of the Week - Bobbins/Swingers/Indicators

12 hours ago, B.C. said:

And I bet you've kept hold of all of them...…..

All apart from the JAGs which I somehow managed to lose having found a buyer for them🤦‍♂️

12 hours ago, smufter said:

I think my "passion" for isotopes comes from when I used to go night fishing years ago, without alarms.

In those days, star lites had just come out, (the ones you snap and shake to get to light up)

Likewise, when I was a nipper....... Star lites on the quiver tip for river chub and on the float when poaching the local trout lake lol.

Having returned to carping after 20 odd years I’m still using the mk1 Fox swingers, right now I don’t see any need to update them,, talking of isotopes I did my first night last Saturday and couldn’t believe as it started to get dark they lit up!!! Dimmer but still usable after 20 + years..

5 hours ago, Old school said:

Having returned to carping after 20 odd years I’m still using the mk1 Fox swingers, right now I don’t see any need to update them,, talking of isotopes I did my first night last Saturday and couldn’t believe as it started to get dark they lit up!!! Dimmer but still usable after 20 + years..

Strange you mention Mk1 swingers , I have these and am going to go back to using them , I have Delkim Duo carb arms and Nitelites which are fine no complaints , I just fancy a change 

11 hours ago, yonny said:

All apart from the JAGs which I somehow managed to lose having found a buyer for them🤦‍♂️

Likewise, when I was a nipper....... Star lites on the quiver tip for river chub and on the float when poaching the local trout lake lol.

I was posh, I had a battery powered float for tench and bream. Only problem was staring at it in the dark and your eyes would cause the float to 'wander'. It wasn't the float moving but your eyes as you stared at one spot.

I must admit ledgering on the river was almost always done with white tape round the rod tip up into the ambient light, and/or touch ledgering. 

Brings to mind an amusing story with the battery float. I put the batteries in for the start of the season, and went to check the shotting with a bare hook in daylight, a size 10 Drennan Sweetcorn hook. Chucked it in, float went under, "oh puffle, too much weight", reeled in and discovered myself playing a 4oz roach. That night I think I had 4 tench on the float up to 6lb, all males. 

On 22/08/2018 at 17:49, smufter said:

I think my "passion" for isotopes comes from when I used to go night fishing years ago, without alarms.

In those days, star lites had just come out, (the ones you snap and shake to get to light up), and they were a natural progression from lumps of breadflake on your line, and then fairy washing up liquid tops. A star lite was a luxury! Didn't have alarms, you just waited in the dark (or the light from a candle in a jam jar) to see your home made bobbin rise up. A star lite made it so much easier and it has naturally progressed to isotopes.

When I started night fishing most of the guys on our waters were using small paraffin Hurricane lamps. We used to wrap the foil from a steak and kidney pie around half of the globe to keep the light off of the water. Bobbins then were whatever paste we were using as bait at the time. Custard powder flavoured bread paste being a favourite.

18 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I was posh, I had a battery powered float for tench and bream. Only problem was staring at it in the dark and your eyes would cause the float to 'wander'. It wasn't the float moving but your eyes as you stared at one spot.

I must admit ledgering on the river was almost always done with white tape round the rod tip up into the ambient light, and/or touch ledgering. 

Brings to mind an amusing story with the battery float. I put the batteries in for the start of the season, and went to check the shotting with a bare hook in daylight, a size 10 Drennan Sweetcorn hook. Chucked it in, float went under, "oh puffle, too much weight", reeled in and discovered myself playing a 4oz roach. That night I think I had 4 tench on the float up to 6lb, all males. 

Was this one of the big bulky floats that took watch batteries and had a little red bulb (led?)? If so my old man and I had those. The little rudd would constantly attack the red light.

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:49, smufter said:

In those days, star lites had just come out, (the ones you snap and shake to get to light up),

I remember biting one once to try and make it glow better...Big mistake.... Looked like radio-active gravy had splashed on my chin...….. Sometimes we attached them to floats, too. Boy, did they play tricks with your eyes on any ripple, even just a rod length out...….

3 hours ago, AndyCh said:

Was this one of the big bulky floats that took watch batteries and had a little red bulb (led?)? If so my old man and I had those. The little rudd would constantly attack the red light.

That is the one. I rarely had rudd problems with them attacking it, very few in that lake. 

12 hours ago, B.C. said:

Sometimes we attached them to floats, too. Boy, did they play tricks with your eyes on any ripple, even just a rod length out...….

Prior to the Starlites coming out, we used to take the front lights off of our bikes and with the aid of small stones position them so that they lit up our floats in the dark. A yellow quill was the best float for this. It used to make us jump when the float just disappeared from sight!! Tench on lol!! Batteries never seemed to last all night though.....

Bike lamp.jpg

On 25/08/2018 at 03:51, smufter said:

Prior to the Starlites coming out, we used to take the front lights off of our bikes and with the aid of small stones position them so that they lit up our floats in the dark. A yellow quill was the best float for this. It used to make us jump when the float just disappeared from sight!! Tench on lol!! Batteries never seemed to last all night though.....

Bike lamp.jpg

Crikey weren't those lamps useless. I can remember getting the new plastic revision for Christmas one year from my parents. They took much better batteries.

23 minutes ago, AndyCh said:

Crikey weren't those lamps useless. I can remember getting the new plastic revision for Christmas one year from my parents. They took much better batteries.

Yep. Absolute rubbish. I think they'd last about 3 hours on a new battery before the light started dribbling out of the lens.....

"Ever Ready"... there's a larf. Ever Unready more like....

Cycle lamp battery (Medium).jpg

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, yonny said:

Surely has to be time for a new flavour of the week lads?

We've done rods, shelters, and bobbins...... so there's loads left to be covered. Someone have a pop.

What about Main Lines ?? Everyone must have a different opinion??

Mine is GARDENER GTHD in 12lb all the way...being a copolymer line sinks fairly quick blends nice to most bottoms and if i had to respool i would do it again...not realy looked at anything else.