River season

jh92

Anyone got any plans for when we're allowed to fish the rivers again? 

I'm itching to get down there with a pint of maggots and a float rod for a few hours. I'd like a decent chub this year too. I found a nice little spot last year that produced a lot of smaller ones so I'm gonna go back there this year and see if I can get one of the bigger ones. 

Not too worried if I don't have anything of a decent size, it's still really fun bagging up on small fish lol 😁

Edited by jh92

I love my river fishing, for chub, pike, roach and carp.

First night of the season I'm often on a chub hunt, and in warm weather chase them with floaters, had a few to over 4lb.

I have also had the pleasure of carp to over 15lb on sweetcorn while chub fishing, as has my mate Bruce, and I managed a 28lb river carp intentionally fishing for them.

8 hours ago, spr1985 said:

I’d love to have a river carp, tried and failed last year but I may give it another go this year and see what happens 

Didn't get to give it much of a go in the end though sir in my memory serves me right? River carping can be a real labour of love at times .

Personally I must try & get on the Wye this year been far to long 😎

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

Didn't get to give it much of a go in the end though sir in my memory serves me right? River carping can be a real labour of love at times .

Personally I must try & get on the Wye this year been far to long 😎

Yes mate.....very true indeed. Me and my limited “get out when I can” isn’t exactly the best scenario to be trying for a river carp 😞,  although I guess if I’m there trying it ups my chance. 100% from not being there.... 

as for the wye.....now that’s a different beast! Good luck to you it’s certainly beyond me 

The Wye isn't beyond anyone mate .... walk ...walk some more find a likely glide & give it a go . In some respects fast flowing natural rivers un- navigable by boats are easier to read & can be quite obvious where you need to be fishing for the specimens.  For example you might have a mile of very shallow fast rocky water with only one channel for specimen fish to use across the whole width of the river .... or a deeper stretch between two shallow runs always a likely spot . All you do is keep finding & fishing until you find the best bit of the stretch available to you , then it's happy days 😎

3 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

The Wye isn't beyond anyone mate .... walk ...walk some more find a likely glide & give it a go . In some respects fast flowing natural rivers un- navigable by boats are easier to read & can be quite obvious where you need to be fishing for the specimens.  For example you might have a mile of very shallow fast rocky water with only one channel for specimen fish to use across the whole width of the river .... or a deeper stretch between two shallow runs always a likely spot . All you do is keep finding & fishing until you find the best bit of the stretch available to you , then it's happy days 😎

Sounds like your offering to be a guide 🤣😂

just pulling ya leg mate. 

The only rivers I’ve ever been near fishing wise are very small. Maybe one day I’ll get the chance/confidence to fish somewhere like the wye....

33 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

I know a few spots mate :wink:  .... I've  taken members off here before to catch there first barbel .

Only takes a pm 🎣

Sweet.... I’ll bear that in mind 😁. Caught a barbel once before from some lakes near Coventry (I know it doesn’t count from a lake) but as a 13 ish year old I was well chuffed and fought like a demon too 

54 minutes ago, spr1985 said:

Sounds like your offering to be a guide 🤣😂

just pulling ya leg mate. 

The only rivers I’ve ever been near fishing wise are very small. Maybe one day I’ll get the chance/confidence to fish somewhere like the wye....

What you learned on the small rivers applies just the same as on bigger just scaled up . The little stretch of river I own the first time I started to fish it , I just applied what I had learned on other rivers & was straight into fish . 

From my experience though once you change to big deep wide waterways like the lower Severn etc it almost can revert to lake tactics , looking for deeper holes on what can be mostly a featureless bottom & filling it in  & without doubt the bank & marginal shelf is the biggest feature especially when the rivers are carrying more water .

Do miss the river fishing , just not enough time to fit it in at the moment. 

Just hope there will be fish to go back to. otters are hard at work on all my old haunts!

23 hours ago, jh92 said:

so I'm gonna go back there this year and see if I can get one of the bigger ones. 

I used to fish for Chub a lot in the past and found the best way to get the bigger ones was freelining bigger baits into likely looking spots.... Under trees and bushes and bridges mainly where they are waiting for food items to drop in and have some cover..Luncheon meat and especially cheese were good baits about an inch cubed would give enough weight to flick out on a waggler rod and 3-4lb line straight through.....  If they were visible near the surface, plopping a bait a few feet behind them will usually see them turn and investigate the "plop".... Seen them follow my bait in when reeling in, like a pike chasing a spinner... About 15-20 mins each spot and you will either catch one, lose one, or realise that they aren't there and move on...… A day river roving for Chub was always a good day out and what you spot along the way may throw up a few carp spots too.....

…. As for me, doubt I'll get time for any river fishing at all this season. I'd love a river carp of decent size, but feel that I'd need to put some time in to find and pre bait a likely stretch... Having said that , the 9ft Dwarfs look like they'd make great little lure rods, so a few hours walking and spinning for perch/chub/pike is an option, which I'm sure the dogs would agree with 😊

On 28/05/2018 at 11:36, spr1985 said:

I’d love to have a river carp, tried and failed last year but I may give it another go this year and see what happens 

Good luck if you do give it a go mate

On 28/05/2018 at 16:49, salokcinnodrog said:

I love my river fishing, for chub, pike, roach and carp.

First night of the season I'm often on a chub hunt, and in warm weather chase them with floaters, had a few to over 4lb.

I have also had the pleasure of carp to over 15lb on sweetcorn while chub fishing, as has my mate Bruce, and I managed a 28lb river carp intentionally fishing for them.

Nice mate hope you have a few, I might try for some carp too. I'm gonna start off float fishing for chub and smaller fish but really do fancy chucking out some bits of fish or meat and try and catch some eels. If that fails I'll be getting the carp rods out!

20 hours ago, B.C. said:

I used to fish for Chub a lot in the past and found the best way to get the bigger ones was freelining bigger baits into likely looking spots.... Under trees and bushes and bridges mainly where they are waiting for food items to drop in and have some cover..Luncheon meat and especially cheese were good baits about an inch cubed would give enough weight to flick out on a waggler rod and 3-4lb line straight through.....  If they were visible near the surface, plopping a bait a few feet behind them will usually see them turn and investigate the "plop".... Seen them follow my bait in when reeling in, like a pike chasing a spinner... About 15-20 mins each spot and you will either catch one, lose one, or realise that they aren't there and move on...… A day river roving for Chub was always a good day out and what you spot along the way may throw up a few carp spots too.....

…. As for me, doubt I'll get time for any river fishing at all this season. I'd love a river carp of decent size, but feel that I'd need to put some time in to find and pre bait a likely stretch... Having said that , the 9ft Dwarfs look like they'd make great little lure rods, so a few hours walking and spinning for perch/chub/pike is an option, which I'm sure the dogs would agree with 😊

Never tried freelining on a river before mate, might have to give it a go! I always remember watching matt hayes freeline slugs on a river for chub and he had some monsters from it. All this talk about fishing is making me wanna get out and do some lol!! If you get out and do some spinner fishing, good luck mate, have fun and like you say your dogs will love it too! lol

On 30/05/2018 at 06:59, jh92 said:

Good luck if you do give it a go mate

Nice mate hope you have a few, I might try for some carp too. I'm gonna start off float fishing for chub and smaller fish but really do fancy chucking out some bits of fish or meat and try and catch some eels. If that fails I'll be getting the carp rods out!

Never tried freelining on a river before mate, might have to give it a go! I always remember watching matt hayes freeline slugs on a river for chub and he had some monsters from it. All this talk about fishing is making me wanna get out and do some lol!! If you get out and do some spinner fishing, good luck mate, have fun and like you say your dogs will love it too! lol

as a nipper i was always down the chalk stream on my grand dads farm, early morning trotting a worm downstream for the trout, holding it back from the lip of the fall off till you could see one  showing a little interest then dropping 4-6ft of line and swooping the worm past the trout just to see it chase after and grab it.

enough to set your adrenaline boiling matey :lol: