Stripping Braid?

finchey

6 hours ago, finchey said:

Another nooby question as regards to striping the coating on the coated braid. 

I'm trying some nice and basic hair rigs size 6 hooks, how much of the coating do you strip off. :)

A few things come into play imo. how big a loop you want on the hair, how many times you want to wrap around the shank, how much stripped braid you want leaving the eye of the hook, what size bait/hair length.

Trial and error really, but once you are settled on a favourite rig/presentation and tried tying a few, you'll soon get a feel for how much to strip off.

4 hours ago, B.C. said:

A few things come into play imo. how big a loop you want on the hair, how many times you want to wrap around the shank, how much stripped braid you want leaving the eye of the hook, what size bait/hair length.

Trial and error really, but once you are settled on a favourite rig/presentation and tried tying a few, you'll soon get a feel for how much to strip off.

Some good pointers there thanks very much. 

So thats  just what I did I have tyed hair rigs before in mono so I new what lengths I wanted, what hooks I was using and what length hairs I wanted. 

So just had a play around with different lengths of striping until I got just what I was looking for. 

So notes now made so next batch I make should be more straightforward. 

Thanks Yonny and B.C

1 hour ago, finchey said:

Some good pointers there thanks very much. 

So thats  just what I did I have tyed hair rigs before in mono so I new what lengths I wanted, what hooks I was using and what length hairs I wanted. 

So just had a play around with different lengths of striping until I got just what I was looking for. 

So notes now made so next batch I make should be more straightforward. 

Thanks Yonny and B.C

I find that if the stripped off bit is too long once the rig is tied, just push it back through the eye and give it a couple more wraps round the shank and then pull back through the eye again.

If the stripped section is too short when the rig is tied, just push the coating up a bit with finger nails. You will soon get it spot on. :)

38 minutes ago, TheKingTench said:

I use my teeth to strip back about two inches from the hook. Nice and supple, but with a relevantly stiff rest of the hooklength. 

I got the esp tungsten loaded that was quite easy to strip just used my thumb nail. 

Brilliant stuff for typing rigs well impressed. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm trying the ESP tungsten loaded but find that the stripped part forming the hair loop is fraying up a bit, and I'm using a "braid friendly" baiting needle. I don't get this problem at all with n-trap. In all other respects I'm finding it fine.

I use one of these Gardner stripping tools to strip the coating and it's perfect, doesn't damage the inner core and is much better than using teeth or fingernails. Has a handy little knot tightener built in too!

Gardner Braid stripper.jpg

10 minutes ago, smufter said:

I'm trying the ESP tungsten loaded but find that the stripped part forming the hair loop is fraying up a bit, and I'm using a "braid friendly" baiting needle. I don't get this problem at all with n-trap. In all other respects I'm finding it fine.

I use one of these Gardner stripping tools to strip the coating and it's perfect, doesn't damage the inner core and is much better than using teeth or fingernails. Has a handy little knot tightener built in too!

Gardner Braid stripper.jpg

Good shout smufter, I used finger nails and teeth last time I knocked some rigs up it was ok but I would imagine a lot easier with one of these tools. I think I will have to get myself one of these. :D

Just now, finchey said:

Good shout smufter, I used finger nails and teeth last time I knocked some rigs up it was ok but I would imagine a lot easier with one of these tools. I think I will have to get myself one of these. :D

You can pick them up on the 'bay for around a fiver. Well worth the money, very small (and light) you don't even know you've got it with you. One of my better buys. There are other makes out there but I think this one is the best.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardner-Tackle-Peel-Pull-Braid-Stripper-Carp-Coarse-Fishing/263241449212?epid=1405351307&hash=item3d4a69befc:g:JdUAAOSwua1Z0flv

1 hour ago, smufter said:

You can pick them up on the 'bay for around a fiver. Well worth the money, very small (and light) you don't even know you've got it with you. One of my better buys. There are other makes out there but I think this one is the best.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardner-Tackle-Peel-Pull-Braid-Stripper-Carp-Coarse-Fishing/263241449212?epid=1405351307&hash=item3d4a69befc:g:JdUAAOSwua1Z0flv

Something else to add to the never ending shopping list. :lol:

• 6 months later...