fox camotex ?

cheers BC , I have read some good things about the camotex , I've been using the kryston merlin this year and to be honest its ok , the only down side is its not very well camouflaged in my opinion and i'm looking at someting that will blend in a little better for my margin fishing .....

dave 

I've used the camotex & stopped using it pretty quickly, the coating crinkles up far to easily for my liking.  The korda alternative or  esp tungsten are far superior, really impressed with the esp stuff tbf after " yonny"  put me on to it  . those two 40lb plus cats I had last year both powerd through a large lillie bed & had to be played back through it, not a mark on the rig ...in fact it was the same rig that landed both fish  . 

I would save ya money & avoid the fox stuff .

18 hours ago, cloud9 said:

Is anyone using this range of braid hooklnks ? And what's your thoughts on it ? ....

I tied a few rigs up with it for displays when I was in the tackle shop. I can't say I was too impressed to be honest, so I stuck with what I have from Kryston; Merlin, Snakeskin, Snakebite, Mantis.

Merlin is my goto braided hooklink, either as part of a combi link, or on its own, and I have caught on it in weed, over gravel or silt.

I will say as I bought so many packs of Kryston a few years ago, if it has changed since Kryston was sold into a tackle wholesale group, and rebought, I have not used any newer versions.

Pictured are rigs tied with it, one on a plain KK and one on combi-rig. If you use it on a combi-rig, I would recommend checking and changing hooklink after every fish. As it pulls tight on Amnesia, the Amnesia knot can be pulled down. Not changing has cost me fish, but I have not lost a fish with it giving way during the first fish hooked on it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers nick , the older Merlin looks to be more of a green colour where the newer stuff that I have is a white and green and very bright in comparison to your photos, I did wonder if it was supposed to take on the colour of the lake bed being called Merlin, to be honest there is nothing else I don't like about it and have caught fish on it but it's just that I can see it quite clear laying on the lake bed in the margins. I'm going to order some of the ESP tungsten soft , it's cheaper than the fox as well 😃

Edited by cloud9

3 hours ago, cloud9 said:

Cheers nick , the older Merlin looks to be more of a green colour where the newer stuff that I have is a white and green and very bright in comparison to your photos, I did wonder if it was supposed to take on the colour of the lake bed being called Merlin, to be honest there is nothing else I don't like about it and have caught fish on it but it's just that I can see it quite clear laying on the lake bed in the margins. I'm going to order some of the ESP tungsten soft , it's cheaper than the fox as well 😃

The old stuff is a white and green mix, and the white does get 'grubby'. I can see most hooklinks in the margins as well, soft braid doesn't worry me really, caught fish on it, so happy with it.

1 hour ago, Dannygooner said:

@salokcinnodrog is the reason there isn't a stopper bead at the back of that rig tubing rig safety. Sorry for changing subject @cloud9. I just wonder as I'm trying my hand at tieing rigs. (Again, new to carping). Been using pre made ones to this point. But been looking at similar helicopter rigs ( i think it's a heli rig?) to yours but most I see in diagrams have a bead at the back of the tubing. Always picking ya brains ain't I lol. 

Its a running lead with tubing:wink:😉

Been using that set up for years

The Camotex offers really nice stiffness but once you've kinked it (very easy to do) you can't get rid of the kink. It also doesn't like sitting on the deck, you really need to weigh it down with blobs of putty.

As said, The ESP Tungsten Loaded is the one. Miles better imo. No putty needed and pulls straight with no steaming. Banging stuff.

9 hours ago, yonny said:

It's actually more expensive @cloud9...... you only get 10m of the ESP vs. the 20m you get of the Fox stuff.... it's deceiving buddy. Still worth it though, you'll love it.

lol, trust me not to read the small print ......£8.95 off the bay 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESP-NEW-Tungsten-Loaded-Braid-Hooklink-Soft-Or-Semi-Stiff-All-Colours-Available/272072895602?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=570883468712&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

dave 

23 minutes ago, cloud9 said:

Have you ordered the "soft" Dave?..... If so, let us know what you think mate. I've only used it in the "semi stiff"

Edited by B.C.

my spool of tungsten loaded arrived yesterday , first impressions are that its not as supple as i had expected , I know its a coated braid but I would still say this was as semi stiff rather than a soft , but then I am no expert , to me its still quite stiff and doesn't want to lay flat , now on the packet it says ' the inherent suppleness of the soft tungsten loaded will help the rig to settle perfectly over undulations , light weed ect whilst still pushing the bait away from the lead' to me that would mean it would fall flat on what ever surface its laying on, but it wont lay flat on my desk , a tungsten loaded braid in soft should at least lay flat under its own weight ? but having said all that the coating is very smooth and can be stripped off with a fingernail and the braid underneath is quite supple , I have tied up a couple of rigs one standard knotless knot rig and a multi rig , Im quite happy with how the coating holds up to tying the knots and its stretched a little but not broken through on any, to be honest I'm quite happy using this for both rigs , I think it will still need a bit of putty to help hold it down on the lake bed ....

dave 

ok so I had  little play today , the only bowl I could find was a plastic one and the photos aren't that clear , but the tungsten hook links both float at the looped over end ? i cut a short length about 3" and it sinks but for some reason the looped ends float , its a bit hard to see but the orange popup is on a kryston merlin rig , the almost white pop up is on a esp tungsten rig , then a brown popup is on the kryston mantis and then there is a bottom bait also on esp , both the esp rigs are floating at the loop end and the kryston merlin has sunk and the mantis is just off the bottom to..     

DSCF8282.JPG

DSCF8285.JPG

DSCF8283.JPG

DSCF8287.JPG

Edited by cloud9

Don't forget as well, you will attach that loop to your link, so it will sink.

Never thought of oil from my hands changing the characteristics of the material that much! I do have very dry hands though, regularly having to use hand cream😘😳😖