Wychwood 60" MHR brolly???

• 2 weeks later...

Just before I finally pull the trigger on the MHR I've contacted a guy called "Army Andy" who carries out modifications and repairs to brollies and bivvies. I've asked him for a price to fit a vent (or two) to the back of a Tempest just so that I've got all bases covered.
The two things that are drawing me to the Tempest are the external "ribs" (which certainly give you more interior space), and the ease in which you can put it up and pack it away again. I'll let you know what he says.

Also, to confuse matters even further, it looks like Wychwood are about to introduce another new brolly, this one with rear vents!! It's being shown for the 1st time on the 20th February so until then there is an embargo on information such as prices etc. A "teaser" has appeared on their Facebook page but doesn't give much away, other than a sneaky picture of the vents!

Whatever I buy has got to be right.... a brolly isn't the sort of thing you change that often.

The piccie on the Wychwood site......

27540827_1581967835227677_7388713587893595891_n.jpg

5 hours ago, smufter said:

Just before I finally pull the trigger on the MHR I've contacted a guy called "Army Andy" who carries out modifications and repairs to brollies and bivvies. I've asked him for a price to fit a vent (or two) to the back of a Tempest just so that I've got all bases covered.
The two things that are drawing me to the Tempest are the external "ribs" (which certainly give you more interior space), and the ease in which you can put it up and pack it away again. I'll let you know what he says.

Also, to confuse matters even further, it looks like Wychwood are about to introduce another new brolly, this one with rear vents!! It's being shown for the 1st time on the 20th February so until then there is an embargo on information such as prices etc. A "teaser" has appeared on their Facebook page but doesn't give much away, other than a sneaky picture of the vents!

Whatever I buy has got to be right.... a brolly isn't the sort of thing you change that often.

The piccie on the Wychwood site......

27540827_1581967835227677_7388713587893595891_n.jpg

Well hopefully the recent cold spell discouraging  you from fishing ,  Smufter , has worked out to your advantage , imagine if you'd bought the MHR and the new offering is much better for you .

Anyway I'm finding your post very interesting , thanks very much .

😀

Well, have heard back from "Army Andy" and he would charge £60.00 to put a couple of vents into the back of a Tempest. That would possibly help alleviate the problem of overheating on a hot day, although you would obviously need a bit of a breeze to really make them effective. With the basic price of the Tempest coming in at around £150.00, that would make the total cost about £210.00.

I can pick a brand new MHR up for just under £120.00.

I'm going to wait and see what this new offering from Wychwood is on the 20th. It it does turn out to be a new brolly, rather than a bivvy, it's going to be interesting. 

8)8)8)

Oh well. Couldn't wait in the end. Went with my original plan and ordered the 60" MHR on Tuesday from Total Fishing Tackle. With the discount code (ebay) I got it for £116.99 delivered, and I couldn't really say no at that price.

It arrived yesterday. 

My next session is next Tuesday. Weather forecast suggests that I won't need to take it with me, we'll see nearer the time!

I won't bother with the two vents in the back. For one, I don't think I'll need them with the material Wychwood use, and two, I don't want to jeopardise the 5 year warranty.

I'll let you know what I think once I've got it up and running.

On 2/16/2018 at 06:37, smufter said:

Oh well. Couldn't wait in the end. Went with my original plan and ordered the 60" MHR on Tuesday from Total Fishing Tackle. With the discount code (ebay) I got it for £116.99 delivered, and I couldn't really say no at that price.

It arrived yesterday. 

My next session is next Tuesday. Weather forecast suggests that I won't need to take it with me, we'll see nearer the time!

I won't bother with the two vents in the back. For one, I don't think I'll need them with the material Wychwood use, and two, I don't want to jeopardise the 5 year warranty.

I'll let you know what I think once I've got it up and running.

Now I'm in a quandary Smufter , do I wish that you have a lovely , dry , carefree day fishing , or that it chucks it down so we can have a report on the MHR !  ? .

Maybe I should borrow the MHR as it's probably going to rain on Tuesday here , which coincidentally is my day off this week ? .

:? 

18 hours ago, crusian said:

Now I'm in a quandary Smufter , do I wish that you have a lovely , dry , carefree day fishing , or that it chucks it down so we can have a report on the MHR !  ? .

Maybe I should borrow the MHR as it's probably going to rain on Tuesday here , which coincidentally is my day off this week ? .

:? 

I think the new brolly is going to get a run out.....https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=Lewes&locationID=57235&lat=50.9&lon=0&dateFor=20/02/2018

Metcheck saying rain all day, Accuweather saying none at all. Now who do I believe lol!!

Thing is, it looks so neat and tidy in the bag, I don't want to take it out and mess it up :(:(:D

15 hours ago, smufter said:

I think the new brolly is going to get a run out.....https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=Lewes&locationID=57235&lat=50.9&lon=0&dateFor=20/02/2018

Metcheck saying rain all day, Accuweather saying none at all. Now who do I believe lol!!

Thing is, it looks so neat and tidy in the bag, I don't want to take it out and mess it up :(:(:D

Well I don't need to borrow the MHR anymore thanks Smufter , I'm acting as Plumber's Mate to my Wife and then it's off to the pictures .

I wouldn't take the MHR out of the bag as you know full well it you'll never get it back in there  ! .

:)

Edited by crusian
changed sentence

Little bit of drizzle here at the moment, so decided to break it out. Not a breath of wind so haven't bothered to peg it down properly. Loads more room than my previous Solace, can sit much further under it. Doddle to put up with the new central bar. Loving it so far😀😀😀

IMG_20180220_084545.jpg

37 minutes ago, smufter said:

Little bit of drizzle here at the moment, so decided to break it out. Not a breath of wind so haven't bothered to peg it down properly. Loads more room than my previous Solace, can sit much further under it. Doddle to put up with the new central bar. Loving it so far😀😀😀

IMG_20180220_084545.jpg

Hi Smufter

I know I'm repeating myself , but the shop recommended I buy a 50" Solace as the 60" would be just too big ; I've now got a 60" Trakker and  I can get my spare rods , in their sleeves , inside the 60" sheltered from the weather / sticky fingers .

Glad you're enjoying the MHR ,  you and PG Tips Monkey should stay nice and dry tucked back inside .

Your swim looks nicely tucked away and private , love the little bridge .

Tight lines ! .

Well, sad to say I blanked. Not a beep. Weather turned a bit worse towards the end of the day, wind got up and the rain got heavier. But the brolly performed brilliantly. Well chuffed with it.

And here are full details of the "New" MHR that Wychwood launched yesterday, along with some other interesting gear....   http://www.wychwoodcarp.co.uk/news/post/the-best-selling-brolly-range-just-got-better

Seems to tick all the right boxes.

20 hours ago, crusian said:

Hi Smufter
I know I'm repeating myself , but the shop recommended I buy a 50" Solace as the 60" would be just too big ; I've now got a 60" Trakker and  I can get my spare rods , in their sleeves , inside the 60" sheltered from the weather / sticky fingers .

Yep, I reckon I could get my rod sleeve laid out along the back. Got to say, I did seriously look at the Trakker as an alternative, but a couple of reports put me off. Plus my previous experience with the Solace was enough to convince me that Wychwood was the way to go. Being able to sit so far back in the new one puts a whole different perspective on things. Just seems I've got a load more room around me to play with.

3 hours ago, smufter said:

I hate to say I disagree Smufter. For me the reason anyone gets a brolly is to save weight. If it wasn't, we'd all be using brolly systems or bivvys imo. At 6 kg the new MHR is 25% heavier than the Tempest Brolly and almost twice the weight of a Lo Pro. In fact you can actually get a Tempest Composite Bivvy for the same weight as the MHR.

It does look fantastic, I'll give you that, but the weight is just too much for a brolly imo. I'm hoping it hasn't been increased over the old MHR due to the addition of the rear events which, lets face it, on an open fronted brolly are almost pointless. Still looks cool though lol!

14 hours ago, smufter said:

Well, sad to say I blanked. Not a beep. Weather turned a bit worse towards the end of the day, wind got up and the rain got heavier. But the brolly performed brilliantly. Well chuffed with it.

And here are full details of the "New" MHR that Wychwood launched yesterday, along with some other interesting gear....   http://www.wychwoodcarp.co.uk/news/post/the-best-selling-brolly-range-just-got-better

Seems to tick all the right boxes.

That's a shame that you blanked , Smufter , but at least after all your research you are happy with the MHR .

Thanks for the review .

:) 

20 hours ago, yonny said:

I hate to say I disagree Smufter. For me the reason anyone gets a brolly is to save weight. If it wasn't, we'd all be using brolly systems or bivvys imo. At 6 kg the new MHR is 25% heavier than the Tempest Brolly and almost twice the weight of a Lo Pro. In fact you can actually get a Tempest Composite Bivvy for the same weight as the MHR.

Appreciate what you are saying Yonny, it's nice to be as light as possible. But the MHR I have comes in a 5.5kg fully inclusive of poles, groundsheet and pegs.

The Trakker Tempest comes in at 4.4kg PLUS the pegs, which would put it around 5kg??? Add a groundsheet to that (which doesn't come as standard) and you're not far off the weight of the MHR.

The LoPro is lighter I'll grant you at 4kg (according to the ESP website) but again, that is without the groundsheet, (and again, you have to pay extra for that too) So not far off 5kg all in.

At the end of the day mate, you are talking about a kilo here or there, (if that),  basically the difference between taking 1 bag of bait with you instead of 2, a few less spare weights in the bag or a few less pot noodles... :wink::wink::wink: 

Also, I guarantee that if you compare the quality of the material of the three, the Wychwood's would be better. And, of course, you get the bullet proof 5 year warranty on the Wychwood.

During my research, the only negative I found for the MHR was the length packed down. Not a problem for me, but I appreciate it could be for some. I found quite a few for the Tempest, (which eventually ruled it out for me).
To be honest, I didn't research the LoPro because that was never on the radar mate. 

Yeah for sure @smufter, I'm not slating it, like I say it looks cool, it's just those extra kilos here and there are a big deal to me. The original (the one you have I believe) is quality, it just does my head in when these products are re-released with what to me are disadvantages over the original. The Fox Supa was the worst one.... it started off amazing, 4.5 kg.... they then re-released it with Ventec material (as a result of leaking even through it was the bell caps leaking, not the material) which added 2 kilos, then they released the Ultra which has another skin.... it weighs a ton now. Shame, I loved the original.

On 2/22/2018 at 07:58, yonny said:

The Fox Supa was the worst one.... it started off amazing, 4.5 kg.... they then re-released it with Ventec material (as a result of leaking even through it was the bell caps leaking, not the material) which added 2 kilos, then they released the Ultra which has another skin.... it weighs a ton now. Shame, I loved the original.

And in typical fashion today the Trakker website shows the new Tempest Brolly V2.... and it's gone from 4.4 kg to 5 kg. Not a massive increase but an increase never the less. A step backwards for what I'd want and one less option on the market.

On 22/02/2018 at 07:58, yonny said:

Yeah for sure @smufter, I'm not slating it, like I say it looks cool, it's just those extra kilos here and there are a big deal to me. The original (the one you have I believe) is quality, it just does my head in when these products are re-released with what to me are disadvantages over the original. The Fox Supa was the worst one.... it started off amazing, 4.5 kg.... they then re-released it with Ventec material (as a result of leaking even through it was the bell caps leaking, not the material) which added 2 kilos, then they released the Ultra which has another skin.... it weighs a ton now. Shame, I loved the original.

Totally agree with you on the supabrolly mate. I still have the first 50inch and it’s far better than the new ultra. Massive step backwards for what I need/want but others may see it as an improvement. 

Mine of the reasons I went with the tc pro Titan is because of the reduction in weight. I’ve always wanted a Titan butbthe weight issue always put me off. It’s light enough now to warrant one. 

I will be getting the Titan hide as my go to, mobile shelter. Then the tc pro as the long stay, comfort option. Knowing me though, I will just use the hide for week long trips as well!!!

Just now, nigewoodcock said:

Knowing me though, I will just use the hide for week long trips as well!!!

Lol, yeah, just like me mate. I had an Armo for cold weather/long sessions and sold it after it had just sat in my carp room gathering dust for almost 3 years!!

19 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

I still have the first 50inch and it’s far better than the new ultra.

My mate sold his 50" original last year and I jumped on it after quite a search for a lightweight brolly, after hearing good comments about the originals, on here... Glad to hear that people still rate them. Much lighter than any brolly I've had before. Tiny foot print on the 50" means you can tuck yourself away. Only downside I can see is that it's a bit of a squeeze into the original bag supplied, so I don't bother with the bag, which speeds things up a bit when setting up/packing down.