Alton Water Park

10 hours ago, spr1985 said:

Yeah it's a huge place and finding them could be a massive issue, I think it would have to be keel the club ticket for general use and season ticket in their for 24hr or longer sessions.

i can only imagine what's in their! Never seen it in flesh just seen pictures on the website 120 acres is scary lol 

Most of my fish came on overnight sessions, only a couple on longer trips. 8 fish in 19 trips, most being over 20lb, 3 being 24.12

The other fish were 13lb8oz mirror, (i weighed it because it was the first fish I caught from there,) a couple of 18lb commons and another mid double mirror.

If you found them, multiple catches were the norm.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Most of my fish came on overnight sessions, only a couple on longer trips. 8 fish in 19 trips, most being over 20lb, 3 being 24.12

The other fish were 13lb8oz mirror, (i weighed it because it was the first fish I caught from there,) a couple of 18lb commons and another mid double mirror.

If you found them, multiple catches were the norm.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lovely fish , Nick .

I guess that was in your American Football days ? , you look like you were built like a brick outhouse ! .

:)

7 hours ago, Big Common said:

Looks a bit of a character that one, little paintbrush tail and by the looks of it, no vent fins, or very worn down ones......

Tell you what tho' DannyGooner, you mentioned the lack of carp anglers on there..... If this thread gets much longer, you may find a lot more on there come Spring...... I'd keep any decent sightings or spots to a pm level mate, you don't want your hard work being capitalised on by the sneaky few bud..... Don't mean that to sound neggy, but there will always be a few onlookers on forums like this.

7 hours ago, spr1985 said:

Totally agree 👆🏻

Ardleigh is known as a water with potential for carp, and numbers were moved from the Wick lane 'pond', which was a carp fishery years ago, before the main ressie became available to coarse angling.

Alton has long been a mixed coarse fishery, good and bad spells, but now with a good head ranger who is very pro-angling, some excellent fishing at times; its not easy fishing by any means for any species, simply because its so large and it doesn't receive that much bait. 

A match last year was won with 5lb, although every angler caught, the next day the same stretch produced weights to individual anglers over 50lb. The fish had moved onto the bait introduced the day before. 

Carp fishing is in its infancy on Alton, helped by the allowing of night fishing. Those carp will also move onto bait, its easier than finding natural food I guess. I have had roach sessions 'spoilt' by carp and pike getting into the swim. The few carp anglers who have caught have been lucky enough to drop onto fish, or seen them, and set up for them, as the surface caught fish proves.

I don't think however its easy, the roach and bream can disappear from day to day, be at Lemons Hill today, then the same area can be blank tomorrow. 

The pike are unknown, usually following the roach around, and hanging midwater in the deeper areas. Not every area has swims along the bank. From The Wonder you have 10-15 pegs, then no swims until you get past the bird hide towards the main entrance.

Lemons Hill, a few swims, then a blank bank towards The Wonder area. Thats just the areas I know, so trying to find carp in that...

7 hours ago, spr1985 said:

It was that top pic that I saw on google earlier! Cracking fish mate! 👌🏻👌🏻

That top fish came on the same overnighter as the other fully scaled, remember it for strange reasons. My mate who always came out to do pictures wasn't answering his phone, and I found out he was on a tube train in London when the bombs went off. I got another mate to come down, but my mind was more concerned and worried for Bruce, then first light the second fish came, as a bream angler set up just down the bank, he was amazed at it and did the photos for me.

13 minutes ago, crusian said:

Lovely fish , Nick .

I guess that was in your American Football days ? , you look like you were built like a brick outhouse ! .

:)

It was, the red sweatshirt pic, thats a Fitness First sweatshirt, so I had gone straight from work to fishing. Hard life, playing American Football, and working in a gym. I lost around 2stone when I retired from playing!

Bruce drove down to photograph the 13.8 and I had that fish while he was there, had to wade up to my knees to net it.

I have only been for a walk around Ardleigh once, Saw a guy fishing who said he was currently on a 40 night blank and if I remember rightly he was set up near the main enterance where the boats were? I tried to walk from there around the lake but found fences, Got in the car and tried to find the other car parks which I couldn't find (I'm useless)....ended up driving home. Would love to do a campaign on that but I wont have the time to put the required effort in for a few years I don't think.....even though I do drive past it every day....

8 hours ago, yonny said:

My word Nick, that fish is banging mate.

Every fish I caught from there was hard earned, and I enjoyed everyone, no matter what the weight, but those two big fully scaleds were special.

20 hours ago, Ginger9991 said:

I have only been for a walk around Ardleigh once, Saw a guy fishing who said he was currently on a 40 night blank and if I remember rightly he was set up near the main enterance where the boats were? I tried to walk from there around the lake but found fences, Got in the car and tried to find the other car parks which I couldn't find (I'm useless)....ended up driving home. Would love to do a campaign on that but I wont have the time to put the required effort in for a few years I don't think.....even though I do drive past it every day....

I keep going on about it, but most of my sessions on Ardleigh were all based around work.

I would finish at 6 or 7 at night, and drive straight from work to Ardleigh, before my next shift starting at 11am. If I ever managed a couple of days off together I would fish, but it was mostly the overnight sessions that produced fish, hence why I know it was 8 fish in 19sessions.

An overnight trip would see me park at the main lodge and ticket office, walk down past the sailing club and boats to the next entrance at Lodge Lane, walk back to the lodge, so I was 'double checking', drive back to Lodge Lane, then walk and look to Wick Lane dam, then back to the car, drive down to Wick Lane and walk along the opposite bank from Wick Lane up. It was then a choice of where I reckoned was best if I didn't see anything.

I rarely fished the Butterfly arm! 

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I keep going on about it, but most of my sessions on Ardleigh were all based around work.

I would finish at 6 or 7 at night, and drive straight from work to Ardleigh, before my next shift starting at 11am. If I ever managed a couple of days off together I would fish, but it was mostly the overnight sessions that produced fish, hence why I know it was 8 fish in 19sessions.

An overnight trip would see me park at the main lodge and ticket office, walk down past the sailing club and boats to the next entrance at Lodge Lane, walk back to the lodge, so I was 'double checking', drive back to Lodge Lane, then walk and look to Wick Lane dam, then back to the car, drive down to Wick Lane and walk along the opposite bank from Wick Lane up. It was then a choice of where I reckoned was best if I didn't see anything.

I rarely fished the Butterfly arm! 

That's pretty much how I fish now, but on a much smaller water. that 11AM start is a bonus I would have to be off by 7/8am. I just think I would be doing myself a favour if I waited til I had more time to properly have a go at the lake. I might have a little walk again, See if I can find the rest of the entrances at least. How much is a ticket on there now?

• 2 years later...