New Rigs

14 minutes ago, phil dalts said:

Personally chaps this rig talk is completely useless. I'm fairly retentive when it comes to rigs, gotta look right, sit right etc. Then a big blow, my mate who just chucks any old rig on goes and catches a 30lb common last week on a blow back rig used with a pop up!!!! Single shot, very agricultural too, pre made rig as well. So work that out lads

I like my rigs to look tidy, personal obsession, but in most cases, 'any' rig in the right place is better than no rig in the water at all.

On some waters though, you may have to be more advanced.

There were a couple of interesting threads about complicating rigs:

https://forum.carp.com/topic/20405-do-we-over-think-or-needlessly-complicate/

https://forum.carp.com/topic/358-complicated-rigs/

7 hours ago, phil dalts said:

Personally chaps this rig talk is completely useless. I'm fairly retentive when it comes to rigs, gotta look right, sit right etc. Then a big blow, my mate who just chucks any old rig on goes and catches a 30lb common last week on a blow back rig used with a pop up!!!! Single shot, very agricultural too, pre made rig as well. So work that out lads

If you got a sharp hook on there always a chance. I use blow back rig for most my pop up rigs with silicone tubeing rather than a ring also use a shot to counter balance it. Short hair jobs a good un. Just because a pop up is used doesn't nesseraly need attaching to hinge rig or anything fancy you mates rig sounds simple no nonsense rig to me.

I used to catch carp rigs I was making myself when I was like 12. Looking back they were awful attempts but they worked. I'd never take them on any hard water though as I'd not be confident I'd hook up a warier fish on them! 

Sometimes, just sometimes though a odd rig like that, well they ain't seen it, they don't know how to deal with it. 

42 minutes ago, greekskii said:

I used to catch carp rigs I was making myself when I was like 12. Looking back they were awful attempts but they worked. I'd never take them on any hard water though as I'd not be confident I'd hook up a warier fish on them! 

Sometimes, just sometimes though a odd rig like that, well they ain't seen it, they don't know how to deal with it. 

My point exactly, as stated, as long as you have a sharp hook on all these Ronnie rigs, multi, stiff hinge stuff goes out the window. Its a fashion really. If u look at ronnie vs multi, same hook bait presentation just in a different way. 

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I like my rigs to look tidy, personal obsession, but in most cases, 'any' rig in the right place is better than no rig in the water at all.

Funny when ever you post pics of your rigs Nick I always think how untidy they look & I wouldn't be casting them out .

Point being we all have different ideas on what a tidy rig looks like .

35 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Funny when ever you post pics of your rigs Nick I always think how untidy they look & I wouldn't be casting them out .

Point being we all have different ideas on what a tidy rig looks like .

Chances are most of them are used:wink:

Or I tie rigs to grab a quick picture then scrap them.

10 minutes ago, cyborx said:

top and bottom of it is, the carp dont give a monkeys how tidy or neat your rig looks.

that is all down to how anal you yourself are and the more anal the tidier the rig, lets have some rig pics up so you can all be judged on how retentive you really are :wink:

Rate my stiff multi rig,

simple loop on the other end of the braid. (Blobbed of course) 

IMG_4220.JPG

9 minutes ago, phil dalts said:

Sure you're not really Mr gray from korda?? 

hahaa, no. I thought this one up last year whilst sitting on my bivvy one night. As always, these rigs are out there for yonks before made public. Not claiming I invented it but in my world I hadn't seen it before. Basically a less clutter stiff hinge rig in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Big Common said:

Happens a lot I think..... You tweak something to suit your fishing or bait or whatever, next thing, someone publishes something similar.... It always makes me chuckle when someone lays claim to a rig or method, publicly, and gives it a pet name...... There's a bloke somewhere , sitting and using next years latest fad, and has been doing so for 20yrs...lol....... I've always liked the look of that one Greeksi and only ever seen it on here, perhaps Mr Gray is a Carp.com voyeur..lol.

I think the magazines are good at naming the 'latest' rigs. Kenny Dorsett probably didn't christen his critically balanced rig with the hair leaving the shank after 2 turns the KD rig. I am pretty positive that some mag did the dirt on that one!

Saying that, I'm sure it was Zenon Bojko or Rob Maylin who named the Helicopter rig, on the basis that the rig spun around the mainline, with the bomb on the end of the line, like a helicopter.

I used to be amused that a subject talked about on here, a month later made it into the various magazines, often in Rotary Letters, and some claimed to be original thoughts.

The original CarpWorld rotary's were original, but later magazines...

As said. Everyone makes the tweaks themselves and next thing it's the latest fad. 

The way I knotted my stiff material to braid was different at first. I then saw an article with Adam penning named "multi rig mk2" and now I use the same knot as him! Because it's better and tidier. That article came out early this year. Like January or something. Someone's been doing the stiff multi rig for years and years but never told anyone I bet. 

They all cruise the forums looking for content. Otherwise how are they deciding what to write about? They don't exactly have a suggestion box 

Hardly anything is ever truly new on the rig front. I was using variations of the stiff multi some years ago. In 2012 I had my first 40 on a stiff multi-chod thing that I thought I'd invented, a week later it popped up on the Korda website and shattered my dreams lol....

Same thing happened with what Korda call the mk2 chod (the one with a tiny boom)... I thought I'd invented something special but of course it had been around forever.

I very much doubt there's anything any one of us has come up with that hasn't been done and done again tbh.

Of all the fancy rigs I've come up with I always go back to the HSR. It just ticks all the boxes for me, it does everything.