Sharpening hooks?

I've been using Korda hooks for the last few years but recently I've upped the size to 6s and 4s. They were really sharp when I took them out the pack, but after I caught a fish I noticed the hook point had lost its edge, I wouldn't say it was blunt, but it wasn't as sharp as it first was. I had to make new rigs because I didn't feel confident using the same hook again and it feels like a waste of braid having to make a new rig after each run/take. What file should I get for this? Or should I use different hooks? 

On 31 August 2017 at 06:53, jh92 said:

I've been using Korda hooks for the last few years but recently I've upped the size to 6s and 4s. They were really sharp when I took them out the pack, but after I caught a fish I noticed the hook point had lost its edge, I wouldn't say it was blunt, but it wasn't as sharp as it first was. I had to make new rigs because I didn't feel confident using the same hook again and it feels like a waste of braid having to make a new rig after each run/take. What file should I get for this? Or should I use different hooks? 

Buy a different brand?

I noticed in tests that Korda hooks lost their points very easily, they are so soft. The water you are fishing can even blunt the point, not running it over gravel, the acidity or alkalinity of the water itself, it seems to be silty lakes more I think. 

On Nazeing a mate and I used to 'swap' rigs, our tackle boxes were open season, and I grabbed a rig tied with a Korda hook from his rig bin when I had showing fish in my swim, yet failed to hook one. I was sure I had had pickups, I changed back to the Gardner Mugga's I was using at the time and within minutes had a decent fish on the bank. 

He had also been blanking, yet when I gave or tied on one of my rigs on his rods he converted the same indications into fish on the bank.

I am against the grain on sharpening hooks, I think if it's not sharp enough out the packet then buy a make that is. I often check and change the rig after each fish, but check the rig every cast anyway. If I think the point is gone I change it. That is what the ball of my thumb is for, checking the hook point!

dont bother with any of the 'carp taxed' stuff as most of it is just a rip off, for diamond files go to your local Aldi and pick these up for £4.99

files.thumb.jpg.e6615bfa79fb4e93436e11f13ae93e12.jpg

in that pack you have every shape file you will ever need, i have owned those for over 3 years so far and no sign of wear.

for a vice i have this,

mw8pydz_KbnFgnEGmxRkYzg.jpg.92676343eed4e652dfed35cb75be8fdb.jpg

available on eBay for under a tenner and again i have had mine for 3+ years, pays to shop around Bud.

https://www.ebay.com/p//1377666334?iid=381299930964

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I am against the grain on sharpening hooks, I think if it's not sharp enough out the packet then buy a make that is. I often check and change the rig after each fish, but check the rig every cast anyway. If I think the point is gone I change it. That is what the ball of my thumb is for, checking the hook point!

So true. The atomic hooks are razor sharp out the packet and very durable. I only sharpen when it needs it. 

The new fox edges are softest hooks I've come across. Surgically sharp from the pack but blunt so easily. Constantly sharpening them and they go too far very quickly because of this. Basically using a spear.